Rspca Act

Does anyone know if the RSPCA charge people if a dog is found wandering and taken to RSPCA and the owner picks the dog up after being there for no more than 3 hours.

The reason I am asking is that one of my carers own dogs got out and the lady who found her took her to the RSPCA and it cost Lyn $75 to get her out, they said they washed her because she was wet from the rain.

Am a bit surprised that they have charged her at all, I know the pound do but would be surprised if it is that much, also if they have charged her for the wash, is a bit rich as well.

Anyone on here work at the RSPCA and can tell us what they charge??

Maree

CPR

I think charging her was reasonable. Afterall her dog was not securely confined to her property and the RSPCA doesn't work for nothing.

As far as I know all pounds charge a release fee.

She got out through one of the 1000 wooden pallings around the yard, does any one check their palling fence on a regular basis to make sure none are loose???? I don't think so, things happen.....

I know the RSPCA don't work for nothing, I actually asked if any one on here knew if they charge even after only 3 hours, and if so how much.

Edited by keetamouse

The reality is that whilst in their care, the dog is taking up kennel space and staff time to deal with it... that has to cost something... it's not a babysitting service...

T.

I also know they aren't a babysitting business....I love it when people feel the need to add more to a post when all I asked if they charge and how much just to make the person feel stupid. The rest of what I wrote was my personal opinion.

Edited by keetamouse

Yes Maree $75 for a few hours from a person I know recently. Simple answer from me. A cat foster carer of mine got a pup recently and a visitor left the door ajar and in a split second puppy ran off. Tracked down at rspca within an hour or so as not far from there. I had to give her a lift there and it was only a matter of hours before I could get her and get there but same price.

My personal opinion is people should be grateful to find their dog locked up safe for collection and be happy to pay whatever it takes to get them out, regardless of how long they are there, or how they ended up on the run in the first place. :flame:

Edited by GrufLife

Fees have gone up since I left but yes there is a standard release fee for any dog whatever the time plus a boarding fee per day if the dog is there overnight or longer.

I don't know why they bathed her but the charge wouldn't have been for that, it's to cover the time spent to scan the dog, check m/c registers, make phone calls, search lost lists, take photos, post found notices, kennel the dog and clean up and disinfect after it.

Edited by Simply Grand

Yes Maree $75 for a few hours from a person I know recently. Simple answer from me. A cat foster carer of mine got a pup recently and a visitor left the door ajar and in a split second puppy ran off. Tracked down at rspca within an hour or so as not far from there. I had to give her a lift there and it was only a matter of hours before I could get her and get there but same price.

Thank you Andrea now I know what they charge.

My personal opinion is people should be grateful to find their dog locked up safe for collection and be happy to pay whatever it takes to get them out, regardless of how long they are there, or how they ended up on the run in the first place. :flame:

Agree. I'm constantly disappointed at the number of people who whine about the fee... not even thankful their dog is alive and safe. It's nuts

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, one of my fosters ended up there once and it was $40.

Weird that they washed her though. If she was wet wouldn't you just give her a quick rub with a towel?

They weren't to know she was only going to be there three hours, they would have started the same admission process as for any dog hence they are entitled to a fee