Growling When At Groomers

LuccatheLagotto

I took Lucca to the vet this morning for his 16 week vaccination. During the examination, the vet noticed that Lucca had an ear infection and has given him some ear drops. When the vet was examining his teeth (just lifting up his lips), he started growling.

I then took him to get groomed and the groomer reported that Lucca growled at her quite aggressively when she was brushing around his head/shoulder region. He was fine when getting his nails clipped and back/hid legs brushed.

By way of background, since I brought him home at 9 weeks, I have been made sure to touch him all over, paws, in between toes, check ears, open his mouth etc. I have also bathed him and brushed him at home and he had been fine. I usually give him a pig's ear to chew on while grooming so that he has a positive association grooming. He has also been to puppy preschool and I've taken him to meet people/dogs at cafes/tennis courts/shopping center etc and he's always wanting to go up to them to say hello; so I wouldn't say that he is fearful.

So today's experience has really come as a surprise and has me worried. I am at a bit of a loss about what to do and would be grateful for some advice.

It could be that he was in pain with the ear infection, he got jabbed as well, then being at the groomers, probably a bit much in one day for a young pup. That would be my guess, seeing as its a one off thing.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that is what I am thinking/hoping as well. In hindsight, I probably should have given the grooming a miss. I am going away for Christmas and so wanted to make sure that he was vaccinated and smelling nice for my mum, who has kindly offered to look after him :D . Hope he doesn't have a negative association with grooming now.

My two cents from a groomers perspective, with 28 yrs experience.

While we LOVE getting puppies started early, there is no way I would take a baby puppy that has just had a vaccination, for a start. The area behind the head is always a scary area for pups starting out, add a vaccination and you have a sore tight area as well. Add an ear infection and wham, overload for poor baby. You can't take back today's experience, so I would wait a couple of weeks until the ear infection is clear and have another trip to the groomer with lots of positive stuff backing him up on the day.

Some might shoot me for this, but although we see relatively few Lagottos in the salons, I have to say, most of them come with fears, phobias, anxiety and aggression of different levels.

is your breeder local? I would turn to them for advice also. Maybe even for grooming if possible.

Have to agree way to much in one day .

As a groomer & someone who owns very heavily coated breeds i don't get why people insist on bribing there dogs to be groomed ,dogs don't need pigs ears,food giving or stuff placed on a wall .

The dogs don't look at it as a good experience but a routine & grooming a dog that is chomping away on a pigs ear doesn't teach good grooming manners ,

Some might shoot me for this, but although we see relatively few Lagottos in the salons, I have to say, most of them come with fears, phobias, anxiety and aggression of different levels.

I won't shot you we see the same .

Do you brush your dog on a table or bench whilst its eating??

Definitely lesson learnt for next time! Will take things slower and great tip about just taking him to the groomer without getting anything done.

I'm actually a bit relieved (is that the right word?) to hear that it was an accumulation of factors that led to the out of character behaviour.

Yes, I've also heard that Lagottos can show those traits if not properly managed. So far, exposing him to new environments/people is working well as he handles new situations well and is friendly (hence the shock today).

I groom him on a table but without the food distractions, he just doesn't stand still. I am open to suggestions as to a better way as I've got more than a decade to go with Lucca.

Edited by LuccatheLagotto

If you want to use treats (no matter what you are training) you are much better off asking for the behaviour you want, even for a few seconds, and then having a party afterwards and racing to get a treat from somewhere else. I do that for nail trimming when I have a wriggly or fearful dog/cat and it works a treat. Zig hates having his nails done but gets super excited when he sees me pick up the nail trimmers, stands patiently and then we PARTY! Same with Em and her recent ear infection/grass seed. She looks miserable but puts herself in position on the lounge waiting for the yuck because the party is worth it :)

So today's experience has really come as a surprise and has me worried. I am at a bit of a loss about what to do and would be grateful for some advice.

Lucca may be feeling quite poorly since he has an ear infection.

I've not had growling with any of the Vizslas when they have had these. But the faces made with their muzzles delivered a message loud & clear to back off.

If you want to use treats (no matter what you are training) you are much better off asking for the behaviour you want, even for a few seconds, and then having a party afterwards and racing to get a treat from somewhere else. I do that for nail trimming when I have a wriggly or fearful dog/cat and it works a treat. Zig hates having his nails done but gets super excited when he sees me pick up the nail trimmers, stands patiently and then we PARTY! Same with Em and her recent ear infection/grass seed. She looks miserable but puts herself in position on the lounge waiting for the yuck because the party is worth it :)

Hoping for reincarnation at TSD's home now.

:xmassmile:

Normal reaction given the circumstances.

Also normal to wriggle & mess about when groomed. He is only a baby with the attention span of a gnat. Takes time for them to stand like statues & even some adults aren't perfect every time no matter how used to it.

Agree with everyone else but all the factors being too much, and yes, take him back in a few weeks for a short, positive session but don't just let him play around, put him on the table and have the groomer do some pleasant but no nonsense handling and maybe trimming so he continues to learn that the groomers is not about playtime :)

I don't think you've done any damage with the pigs ear at this early stage but strongly agree with TSDs advice about giving a reward after he's given you the desired behaviour. With my poodle x I started off giving him little pieces of cheese at intervals throughout his (short to start with) grooming sessions with pats, praise and a happy "all done" at the end. I gradually lengthened to grooming time and the intervals between rewards as well as only ever stopping when he was cooperating, not if he was fussing, and now at 5 he's just used to it and although he doesn't love it he tolerates grooming without a fuss.

Small steps and you'll be fine :)

Hoping for reincarnation at TSD's home now.

:xmassmile:

Ha! You're not the first :laugh:

The things you can achieve with a well timed chest scratch...

My most beloved and dearly departed Brontë...

DSC00150.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• 1 month later...

Hi, In some cases the ear canal becomes moist from bathing, grooming or swimming and the moisture fosters the growth of microorganisms in the ear canal. This may be the reason your dog is afraid of and showed the reactions. Prevention in these cases can be as simple as cleaning the ear to remove the moisture and prevent the infection.