I'm Confused - $50 Adoption Scheme

Below is an advert one of the Canberra Facebook Pets for sale pages. Please correct me if I'm wrong but they are offering to pull the selected dog from the pound and only charge $50 to cover all vetting??

Pound Rounds

How does the special New Year $50 Doggy Adopt work?

Pretty simple.

We know that people - especially kids have school holidays over Christmas and New Year. It's the perfect time to spend time with a new family member and help them settle in!

So today - yes do it today!

Go to the pound, pick your family sized pooch or call the pound and chat with them about any doggies that you see online that you would like to know more about.

Then complete this adoption application being sure to include your doggies impound number and name if you have one. Then we will call you and chat about the best gift you have to start the New Year!

If you know you are going to pick your doggy today then you can prefill in the form! We'll call you and send a paypal request for $50 then you can match any loving pooch to your family!

Please complete this form and we will contact you. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform…

3 WONDERFUL LOCATIONS TO CHOOSE FROM

a) Blacktown Pound - see their bubbies ready for adoption online here > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

b) Hawkesbury Pound bubs for adoption here > https://www.facebook.com/media/set/…

c) STAR Shelter dogs for adoption here > https://www.facebook.com/SanctuaryTails

The $50 Adoption includes desexing, microchipping and vaccination!

The special family offer has nothing to do with the councils themselves and they will look at you strangely if you want to give them $50 for a pooch So make sure you make contact with Pound Rounds!

[email protected]

It does sound a bit shonky - especially the part where they say not to mention it to the pounds. But you never know. It could well be above board. I know you can vax, chip and desex a kitten for under $100 cost price so I suppose there is a very slim possibility you could do a dog for similar, if you have the backing of a good vet willing to do it at cost.

Not sure I really like the messaging behind getting a pet for the holidays either.

Guest Wildthing

Do your research and you will find out all sorts of information about Pound Rounds.

Even with rescue rates, you cannot get a kitten desexed, one F3 vaccination and chipped, for that small amount of money in the ACT.

Edited by Wildthing

Do your research and you will find out all sorts of information about Pound Rounds.

Even with rescue rates, you cannot get a kitten desexed, one F3 vaccination and chipped, for that small amount of money in the ACT.

I am speaking from personal experience. I do know for a fact that my vet takes in abandoned kittens and re-homes them. She sells tom cats for $70. That covers the cost of getting them chipped, vaccinated (for age) and desexed. Queens/females are slightly more. Yes, she 'looses' money on them, she feeds, fleas, boards, toilet trains and loves them for "free" but it is possible. Probably not possible for a dog - weighing so much more then a kitten, but as I said, maybe possible if you have a kind heated vet willing to do the work for cost.

Pr is a money making machine well practised at guilting money out of the community. In other works yes they are subsidising cost of adoptions before sending them unquarantined and without any meaningful checks around australia. too bad if you recieve a dog and human aggressive escape artist, you saved a life surely you should be grateful. aghhh.

Pr is a money making machine well practised at guilting money out of the community. In other works yes they are subsidising cost of adoptions before sending them unquarantined and without any meaningful checks around australia. too bad if you recieve a dog and human aggressive escape artist, you saved a life surely you should be grateful. aghhh.

These people at PR generally have little experience and once again, are most likely putting animals and people into dangerous/compromised situations. As you say, their only aim is to save a life - not to make sure that once saved, the animal ends up in the best possible home.

Any animal, anywhere.

I am a great supporter of pounds which work with rescue groups, but let's face it, they don't query adoptions, they don't do home checks, very few desex or give desexing vouchers. I think most of them just want the animals out. Even the best pounds leave poor animals in terrible matted conditions, eyes obviously infected not treated, etc etc etc. I can't see them worrying too much about this program.

I know with out local pound it is about $26 to pull a dog under a 16D - because the rescue then desexes the animal and passes this cost onto the adoptive family.

I wonder if PR are pulling the dogs for this price and then requesting the new owners desex the animals? So effectively they are allowing the public to use their 16D.

Pretty scary - I wonder how many would actually then desex the animals they adopt for $50 (so PR would probably still be making a few bucks on each animal they pull).

Might be an idea to let the local pounds that they work with know what they are advertising!

The pounds know and haven't done anything.

The DLG knows and haven't done anything.

Nothing can be done about clauses being used to pull animals for third parties.

Clause 16D in the Act doesn't specify desexing, it's only mentioned in the application you make to get one. It's merely a poorly managed record keeping system.

And even less can be done when the dog leaves the state. Gone. No record of anything and no way of knowing what happens to them.

However, PR do desex for their own adoptions. The $50 will include vetwork.

Which is more than can be said for some of the 'rescues' running the same way. We thought PR was bad.... and guess what, it got worse.

edit: people are going to be very disappointed when they choose a dog that already has rescue or adoption. It sounds like you can just order a dog but it doesn't work that way. It'll just be the dogs they can't move.

Edited by Powerlegs

There is no way they can cover costs of vet work for the adoption fee of $50, but they do pull in a lot of money through their emotional dribble.

No doubt it will be as hit and miss as they have been since they started. I am guessing they are finding it harder and harder to find dogs getting out by their previous ways and are moving onto the 'just because you can't afford the adoption fee doesn't mean you shouldn't own a dog', and the 'studies' done in the USA of giving dogs away to turn dogs over.

Why don't they just take over the pounds and run them? It would save this mess and stop putting it under 'rescue' and under pound management instead. As long as dogs aren't dying in pounds it doesn't seems matter what happens to the dog.

Am getting closer to wanting rescue to be regulated everyday....

Edited to add, the said group can help you become a rescue group by 'incubating' you into one :confused:

Edited by Malti

Guest Wildthing

I am speaking from personal experience. I do know for a fact that my vet takes in abandoned kittens and re-homes them. She sells tom cats for $70. That covers the cost of getting them chipped, vaccinated (for age) and desexed. Queens/females are slightly more. Yes, she 'looses' money on them, she feeds, fleas, boards, toilet trains and loves them for "free" but it is possible. Probably not possible for a dog - weighing so much more then a kitten, but as I said, maybe possible if you have a kind heated vet willing to do the work for cost.

I have been doing cat rescue for 20 years in the ACT and even I do not get such cheap rates for the basic vet work. Males castration costs $75, F3 vaccination $45, chip $50 Females spey is $120. I sell for $250, which gives me $5 over the basic cost for a female. I make on the males, but that covers for any antibiotics that cats have needed, worming, flea treatment, food, litter. Rescuing is not a money making exercise by any stretch of the imagination. Vets can write their costs off as a tax deduction. I cannot. Makes a difference to the overall costs. I run my rescue on my own from a government pension and have learned how to budget. I have my own savings to back me up if necessary. Canberra is a very expensive place for vets. Melbourne and Sydney are very much cheaper, but of course, we live in Canberra and EVERYONE has a high disposable income! What a load of codswollop that thought is! Not having a go at you Scottsmum, just generalising.