I'm Confused - $50 Adoption Scheme

Do your research and you will find out all sorts of information about Pound Rounds.

Even with rescue rates, you cannot get a kitten desexed, one F3 vaccination and chipped, for that small amount of money in the ACT.

I am speaking from personal experience. I do know for a fact that my vet takes in abandoned kittens and re-homes them. She sells tom cats for $70. That covers the cost of getting them chipped, vaccinated (for age) and desexed. Queens/females are slightly more. Yes, she 'looses' money on them, she feeds, fleas, boards, toilet trains and loves them for "free" but it is possible. Probably not possible for a dog - weighing so much more then a kitten, but as I said, maybe possible if you have a kind heated vet willing to do the work for cost.

I have been doing cat rescue for 20 years in the ACT and even I do not get such cheap rates for the basic vet work. Males castration costs $75, F3 vaccination $45, chip $50 Females spey is $120. I sell for $250, which gives me $5 over the basic cost for a female. I make on the males, but that covers for any antibiotics that cats have needed, worming, flea treatment, food, litter. Rescuing is not a money making exercise by any stretch of the imagination. Vets can write their costs off as a tax deduction. I cannot. Makes a difference to the overall costs. I run my rescue on my own from a government pension and have learned how to budget. I have my own savings to back me up if necessary. Canberra is a very expensive place for vets. Melbourne and Sydney are very much cheaper, but of course, we live in Canberra and EVERYONE has a high disposable income! What a load of codswollop that thought is! Not having a go at you Scottsmum, just generalising.

I never meant to imply that rescue was a money making option. I was simply saying that in some far flung universe if they had an exceptional relationship with a vet they might be able to break even on that price. I admit it is very unlikely. My example is a real example and I admit that the vet doesnt cover her own costs BUT the $70 for a tom / male kitten DOES cover the cost of the vaccination, chip and anesthetic to neuter. I don't know what a chip or vax wholesales for these days but I know from my time in the vet and wholesale animal industry it's not even close to $50 for a chip or vax.

I'll leave it at that.

I am a great supporter of pounds which work with rescue groups, but let's face it, they don't query adoptions, they don't do home checks, very few desex or give desexing vouchers. I think most of them just want the animals out. Even the best pounds leave poor animals in terrible matted conditions, eyes obviously infected not treated, etc etc etc. I can't see them worrying too much about this program.

This is such a generalisation and extremely offensive to pound staff who, I can assure you, certainly give a shit about the animals in their care.

Cost price for a C3 vial is around $25. Cost price for one microchip is around $5. There's $30 already... and no vet I know will desex anything for $20.

I'm thinking that anyone who takes up this "generous" offer is going to be stung...

T.

After reading their site further, they are staying people can donate and it will cost $150 to do the vet work, so donate if you can't adopt donate towards the vet work cost so people can adopt for $50.

Of course they have made the claim a certain member of their group has kicked it off with '$5000 of their own money'

For clarification purposes - being approved for a Clause 16D EXEMPTION (I've used uppercase for a reason) only means you are exempt from registering the animal in NSW while you are in the process of rehoming it. I believe the exemption only lasts 12 months and then you must register the animal regardless.

It has zilch to do with desexing, ethical rescuing or approval to rescue. It does not mean you are an approved rescue, and it does NOT endorse a rescue.

Sadly, too many rescuers and even pound staff (even more bloody appalling) don't even understand that clause 16D of the Companion Animals Act states you must register animals and the application that you apply for makes you EXEMPT from that clause requirement.

Edited by ~Anne~

Just a bit of an update, I whether the dogs were temp tested prior to adoption which is what most rescues do, here's the response.

Cindy Samuel so the dogs are not temperment checked before adoption?

Pound Rounds Cindy dogs in the general population are not checked at any time when being given away free or sold to new homes - and pounds - especiually rescue make up a tiny percentage of ANY dogs going to new home at all - given that coupled with the fact that even by the NSW Companion Animal Report on Dangerous Dogs you are less than 0.000046% likely to be injured by a pet dog - then the first question should be are they being saved - are they being rehomed alive and how can we help.

Just a bit of an update, I asked whether the dogs were temp tested prior to adoption which is what most rescues do, here's the response. It seems that some people are a bit concerned about their approach.

Pound Rounds Cindy dogs in the general population are not checked at any time when being given away free or sold to new homes - and pounds - especiually rescue make up a tiny percentage of ANY dogs going to new home at all - given that coupled with the fact that even by the NSW Companion Animal Report on Dangerous Dogs you are less than 0.000046% likely to be injured by a pet dog - then the first question should be are they being saved - are they being rehomed alive and how can we help.

Emily Brightside How do you know the real reason the dog was surrendered? A family pet bites the baby, they love the dog and don't want their child at risk...so they dump it and say they can't afford it anymore, I come to your pound and buy this dog, you didn't do any temperament testing and you want the dog alive and rehomed asap, I take my new bargain dog home and it attacks my baby the next day. Do you have a duty of care in this situation, or hold any responsibility? Do you have a good reputation to maintain, if not your own, the reputation of the industry you represent?

Just a bit of an update, I asked whether the dogs were temp tested prior to adoption which is what most rescues do, here's the response. It seems that some people are a bit concerned about their approach.

Emily Brightside How do you know the real reason the dog was surrendered? A family pet bites the baby, they love the dog and don't want their child at risk...so they dump it and say they can't afford it anymore, I come to your pound and buy this dog, you didn't do any temperament testing and you want the dog alive and rehomed asap, I take my new bargain dog home and it attacks my baby the next day. Do you have a duty of care in this situation, or hold any responsibility? Do you have a good reputation to maintain, if not your own, the reputation of the industry you represent?

You'll be deleted you know, for asking the wrong (but very relevant) questions! You would laugh if it wasn't so irresponsible.

You'll be deleted you know, for asking the wrong (but very relevant) questions! You would laugh if it wasn't so irresponsible.

More than likely but I'm not the only one asking the same questions :thumbsup:

Sadly PR seem to play on the emotional attachment people have for domesticated animals.

'Look at this poor dog on death row, he/she will die tomorrow if you don't donate/adopt right now!'

You see the same story all the time..

Good rescues temperament test, microchip, desex, vaccinate and even do some basic training with foster dogs that they pull from pounds.

PR is NOT a good rescue. I have read so many stories about this mob and my personal experience was less than impressive (and all I did was donate for a dog that they never even pulled but told me they did). My experience with them is also the reason I don't support another rescue that I supported a lot when I first joined DOL.

So many people have been burned by PR in one way or another - but their sob stories and peoples big hearts keep them in business!

PR also goes under quite a few different names.

They had the kennel called Star something or other.

They are a registered charity - which means that you can claim any donation over $2 for tax purposes - IF you get a tax invoice (sadly they are pretty poor at supplying these - my issue was that they wouldn't supply me with one for a $100 donation made, so I couldn't claim the donation on my tax)..

I will sign off on PR now - they have no ethics and shouldn't be involved in rescuing any animals - just my opinion...

Sadly PR seem to play on the emotional attachment people have for domesticated animals.

'Look at this poor dog on death row, he/she will die tomorrow if you don't donate/adopt right now!'

You see the same story all the time..

Good rescues temperament test, microchip, desex, vaccinate and even do some basic training with foster dogs that they pull from pounds.

PR is NOT a good rescue. I have read so many stories about this mob and my personal experience was less than impressive (and all I did was donate for a dog that they never even pulled but told me they did). My experience with them is also the reason I don't support another rescue that I supported a lot when I first joined DOL.

So many people have been burned by PR in one way or another - but their sob stories and peoples big hearts keep them in business!

PR also goes under quite a few different names.

They had the kennel called Star something or other.

They are a registered charity - which means that you can claim any donation over $2 for tax purposes - IF you get a tax invoice (sadly they are pretty poor at supplying these - my issue was that they wouldn't supply me with one for a $100 donation made, so I couldn't claim the donation on my tax)..

I will sign off on PR now - they have no ethics and shouldn't be involved in rescuing any animals - just my opinion...

You are definitely not alone there

Melanie Thomas I can donate to help this dog. In the past I have donated to Pound Rounds and inquired about the fate of the dog, with no reply.

2 hrs

I emailed to ask the same thing and then after emails back and forth from PP the last one I sent to her is as follows:

I rest my case on you, from this post it sums you up to a tee of being a very rude person and you obviously feel good about attacking people who have different views to you, my whole posts are about informing the public that not all dogs in the pound are rehomable and trying to educate people to this fact and to be careful, you feel the need to bring people down that don’t agree with you and there are a lot of people out there that don’t, you have no respect for others and that shows in what you have written here, you still have not answered my question about having the 1000 dogs a year that you save, having them all in your home and having a pack of 15 all sizes/breeds etc, I understand most of the dogs you get out of the pounds go into kennels, you appear to think that PR is the be all and end all of rescue which it is not.

Haven't heard back, she really is a sick woman......from the contents of all her posts to me....

Maree

CPR