Dandruff

giraffez

My boy has dandruff. I notice it particularly immediately after a bath and it can last 1-3 days which by that time has all fallen off until the next bath.

I'm using Dr Oz's shampoo and put loads of aloveen conditioner on him afterwards. It seems to mitigate the issue but still notice small flakes especially at the tip of the ears and towards the backside of the body. He is also on flax seed oil every second day. Any recommendations? The shampoo is all natural ingredients, could it still be too strong?

Are you rinsing properly? The rinsing part of bathing a dog takes at least twice as long as the washing part. After you have rinsed well, rinse thoroughly again.

I think what you are seeing is scurf and it's probably due to not rinsing properly.

When I send my dogs to the groomers I need to send a note to ask them to rinse the dogs thoroughly. If they're not rinsed well they will be scurfy. There is no scurf when they're rinsed properly.

Are you rinsing properly? The rinsing part of bathing a dog takes at least twice as long as the washing part. After you have rinsed well, rinse thoroughly again.

I think what you are seeing is scurf and it's probably due to not rinsing properly.

When I send my dogs to the groomers I need to send a note to ask them to rinse the dogs thoroughly. If they're not rinsed well they will be scurfy. There is no scurf when they're rinsed properly.

I think so. I bath two dogs - one after another. The other one seems fine.

I'm not sure whether it is the shampoo. Because now that I think about it, where there is dandruff on the back of the ear (particularly towards the tip), i don't put shampoo on at all. Its just water.

As others have said washing off the conditioner thoroughly should help but may not eliminate the problem. The reason for this is the silicones in the conditioner stick to the coat and leaves a white residue on the coat and skin. Silicones are used to make the coat feel soft and shiny. Try to find a conditioner that uses oils to condition instead.

I don't think it's diet related with my dogs. When I bath them they're not scurfy afterwards.

Last time they went to the groomer I asked her to ensure they were rinsed thoroughly. They're not scurfy this time.

Yep it's all about rinsing really really well, like several times. The silicones are also used in plastics and alot of industrial applications. They're incredibly tough to rinse off the skin and hair unlike oils. Silicones stick to the coat like superglue - I personally do not like them at all as there's so much better stuff out there that will condition and moisturise but unfortunately companies like to use cheap ingredients as oils are quite expensive and take alot more time and care to incorporate into an emulsion. It really annoys me. They're particularly bad when used in a hydrobath and you will find there is even more of a build up.

Of course this is one possible reason and like others have suggested diet could also be a factor.

Never had scurf or dandruff on our Minis in 30 years ,would either be diet or what your washing in & we don't use any of that natural stuff also rinsing off also depends how often there groomed

What does rinsing off have to do with how often they're groomed? They should be rinsed thoroughly every time they're groomed whether it be once a fortnight or once every 10 weeks.