Additional Pet Permit

fuzzy82

Does anyone know what happens if you have more cats or dogs than allowed in your council area? If you are a responsible owner, there have been no complaints from neighbours, and the animals don't bother anyone, can they seize additional animals?

What happens if you have ended up with more than the max permitted number of animals? In my council, you're allowed 2 cats and 2 dogs, and you can get a permit to keep 4 cats and 4 dogs. So what happens if you have 4 cats, and you meet someone who has 2 cats and move in together? Are you expected to surrender 2 of the cats?

I have been researching this for the last hour, and the only thing I could find is that animal ownership is now managed by QLD state government, with the Animal management (cats and dogs) act 2008, but I can't see anywhere in there about the number of animals allowed. On the QLD gov website it says to check with your local council. MBRC where I am says the above - 2, with a permit needed for a maximum of 4.

I live in Moreton Bay. When we applied for our third dog permit, the ranger simply came out and inspected our fences.

When we moved and re-applied for the new house the ranger mentioned to us that if we got a noise complaint and did nothing, then yes we could be asked to remove the third dog off the premises. Do they enforce it? No idea. Moreton Bay permits are based on your block size.

Just be aware of how many dogs you have on your property when its inspected. You are not supposed to have more than the allowable limit before your permit application. And you are not forewarned when they inspect. Each time, they have just turned up.

MBRC will check properties and are not very flexible if your block is under size, if the block is "big enough" under their criteria (which is purely based on land sizefrown.gif) they are pretty good as far as issuing additional permits goes, as long as you have had no complaints. If you get caught with an additional dog/cat and no permit they will make you remove any animals over and above your permit. They do check randomly and there seems to be a lot of "dobbers" . That said I am aware of multiple people even in my street who are flouting the permit law and have over the numbers.

The fee for an additional dog permit is not refundable if you apply and are refused - the employees in the call centre are quite helpful though, they were very clear we would not get a third dog permit and suggested not wasting the application fee.

They were happy to put me through to a warden and then someone higher up the chain to discuss but it was no go.

They were amused, but not swayed by my argument that the reality of having an additional Shar Pei would mean I need more couch space than more square metres of land, my guys don't self exercise and all walking is done off the property, but that's the rules........

They have a calculator here:

MBRC Checker

Thanks for your replies.

Our block is 3500 m2, so plenty big enough. The site tells me:

Dogs & cats

Dogs: 2 (additional 2 with prior approval)

Cats: 2 (additional 2 with prior approval)

I just can't believe they would actually make us get rid of our pets when we have had no complaints. They would rather have more animals in the pound and being put to sleep?

I noticed in Brisbane you can get a cattery permit to keep up to 10 cats. Is this a possibility in MBRC? I can't find anything about it on their site.

Note that this is a hypothetical scenario, we haven't had any trouble with the council.

If you are a member of an official animal association e.g. Dogs Qld or I guess the feline equivalent than you can apply for an affiliated animal breeder permit which allows you to go over the numbers but MBRC still cap the numbers depending on the property. You need to be able to supply your prefix and registration number for the association when you apply.

Link to breeder info is here

MBRC Breeder Permits

They would rather have more animals in the pound and being put to sleep?

The MBRC doesn't care about animals.

They recently tried to blame the decline of Koala numbers on 'wild dogs', even though they've allowed most of their habitat to be cleared.

I rung up once to report a stray dog. They put it down as a roaming dog complaint, I said 'I'm not complaining I just wanted someone to rescue it because I couldn't'. Nope it had to be a complaint, which makes for incredibly misleading statistics.

Also Major Sutherland was caught on tape trying to set-up his opposition with a sly donation from his developer buddies.

From what I have witness, I wouldn't trust MBRC as far as I could throw them and would document all dealings with them.

Edited by 02Dogs

If you are a member of an official animal association e.g. Dogs Qld or I guess the feline equivalent than you can apply for an affiliated animal breeder permit which allows you to go over the numbers but MBRC still cap the numbers depending on the property. You need to be able to supply your prefix and registration number for the association when you apply.

MBRC Breeder Permits

Thanks, I was looking into the breeder option just before, and you are still limited to the max number, which is 4. I then had a look at being a registered foster carer, but the limit is still the same - 4.

They recently tried to blame the decline of Koala numbers on 'wild dogs', even though they've allowed most of their habitat to be cleared.

I rung up once to report a stray dog. They put it down as a roaming dog complaint, I said 'I'm not complaining I just wanted someone to rescue it because I couldn't'. Nope it had to be a complaint, which makes for incredibly misleading statistics.

Also Major Sutherland was caught on tape trying to set-up his opposition with a sly donation from his developer buddies.

From what I have witness, I wouldn't trust MBRC as far as I could throw them and would document all dealings with them.

I hadn't heard of that case. That's just despicable.

Also crazy to have to complain about a roaming dog.... I guess it would be better to call RSPCA rather than the council? Although might not do any good, as RSPCA runs some of the pounds.....

MBRC Breeder Permits

Thanks, I was looking into the breeder option just before, and you are still limited to the max number, which is 4. I then had a look at being a registered foster carer, but the limit is still the same - 4.

You are not limited to 4 if you get an affiliated breeder permit quote from website below

2. Affiliated Animal Breeding

Applicants must be a member of an affiliated/recognised breeder association.

Approved affiliated animal breeders will be allowed to keep above the number of animals described in number of animals allowed by property size tool.

Applicants must complete the affiliated animal breeder permit application and submit it to council by mail or at any council customer service centre with the prescribed fee.

Applicants who are granted an affiliated animal breeder permit may also be eligible for a concession on their animal registration fees.

For more information on animal breeder permits, please contact Council.

Re the koalas - sorry to be ot. I read about a survey (probably the one you mention) which was properly done by either uni or Koala organisation. Began with 600 - most deaths were indeed due to wild dogs, a couple (very few) by domestic dogs, and a couple more by road accidents. Habitat was not mentioned, but the survey was not in an area with reducing habitat. I am trying to get a copy of the survey, will post again when I do.

MBRC Breeder Permits

You are not limited to 4 if you get an affiliated breeder permit quote from website below

2. Affiliated Animal Breeding

Applicants must be a member of an affiliated/recognised breeder association.

Approved affiliated animal breeders will be allowed to keep above the number of animals described in number of animals allowed by property size tool.

Applicants must complete the affiliated animal breeder permit application and submit it to council by mail or at any council customer service centre with the prescribed fee.

Applicants who are granted an affiliated animal breeder permit may also be eligible for a concession on their animal registration fees.

For more information on animal breeder permits, please contact Council.

The property size tool tells me I can have a maximum of 4 dogs. Our property is 3500 m2, so it seems like no matter how big your property is, you are limited to 4 dogs. Unless I'm reading it wrong? I checked with the tool yesterday and it tells me I can have 2, and an additional 2 with a permit. So as a breeder, I would still be limited to 4.

ETA: Sorry, I've been reading that as "you will still be limited to the max number". But it actually says you can have more. I totally misread it, even after reading it multiple times. Oops!

Edited by fuzzy82

Fuzzy if you are a registered breeder with the CCCQ you can have up to 9 dogs, pay a fee for your breeders' licence, and a further annual fee for each dog. Again you must have over 3000 sq.m.

Good to know, thanks :)

Is there a similar thing in place for cats?