Why Do Dogs Give Us "presents"?

Kirislin

Dogs that give presents always remind me of the Looney Tunes cartoons, with the little dog following the big Bulldog around saying ''Chester is my hero''. With the little dog always trying to please the alpha Bulldog with things lol.

That dog is literally Gus. Or Dug from UP!

Wrong thread, StaffyLuv? Or you're really against doggy gifts! Hahaha. :laugh:

:rofl: I wondered the same thing.

Yep, sorry :)

Edited to add, the only thing Zig brings me is his tennis ball, treat ball or kong!

Edited by Staffyluv

Honey will pick up a shoe or toy whenever we walk through the door, call her or even get up. I am always finding a single shoe in odd places.

She has never chewed a single one- though I don't ever want to use my (previously) fluffy (now slobbery) slippers again... Yuck! :eek:

It seems to me it's like a compulsion- she will drop it if you ask but you can see she's itching to pick it up again. :laugh:

Willow gives tennis balls as gifts. She will tuck them under your head, shoulders, arms...wherever she can stuff them. My daughter finds this hilarious when I've nodded off on the couch. She will even jam them in your face if you're at her height as you drool into a cushion.

Everything else is used as items for teasing, taunting, playing keepings off or just generally nicking off with.

ETA Dory does none of these. Her gifts involve a launch in your lap and a tongue up your nose if you're not careful.

Edited by Dory the Doted One

Has no one read all the new research that is being done on what and how dogs are when it comes to human interactions?

They have the same reactions as children do, they set off the same reactions in humans as children to, it is no longer 'dogs are not family members', they are, in many more ways than anyone believed.

Do your human children comfort you when you are sad? That is no different to a dog recognising and doing the same thing.

Was going to post a pic of my boy and the 'present' he gave me yesterday, but better not. Some might find it offensive.

Heading to the stables and watched my boy who went ahead as usual pounce and grab at a grey fluffy ball.Catching up, I found him with a rat he had dispatched very quickly. When I told him what a good boy he was he gave it to me very politely. :)

Id just been off to get pics of the yellow tailed cockies in the tree so managed to snap my big "low prey" boy in action.

Rats in my stables are not often, there is rat sack placed where dogs can't reach and as a precaution, dogs are kept out and the door closed unless they are with me.

I have Samoyeds, they don't give presents, they parade their item around in front of you so you may feel the crushing jealousy that whatever they have is so cool but you, as a lowly mortal may only gaze upon it. Then they run away.

However this will change when said item looses it's flavour or is broken. Only then will they deem fit to allow you to touch it, but I suspect it's only so you can either get them another one or fix it......

Edited by Bjelkier

I have Samoyeds, they don't give presents, they parade their item around in front of you so you may feel the crushing jealousy that whatever they have is so cool but you, as a lowly mortal may only gaze upon it. Then they run away.

However this will change when said item looses it's flavour or is broken. Only then will they deem fit to allow you to touch it, but I suspect it's only so you can either get them another one or fix it......

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

h

:laugh: 'Little Pup is the same, a game of try to get it is her fav.thing. Thank dog shes learned give. Slowly learning that when her orange is too mangled and juicy to throw or roll on its own she can bring it in exchange for a fresh one and and that I can throw or roll it far better than she can.She finaly starting to bring it of her own accord. only because I'm just not agile enough for sustained chase games.

rofl1.gif This is hilarious and pretty much what one of our Shar Pei does, brings a teddy/shoe/stick/anything to show you what you cannot have. Unless you just happen have something better like a baby bocconcini, in which case she will look at you pointedly until you say "would you like to swap?" at which point she will spit out her trophy to relieve you of the better prize.

Hankie gives me presents all the time! It's so cute. It's his answer to everything. Odie will be going nuts at the doorbell while Hank will panic and run around the house looking for a toy to greet the guest with :laugh: I think that's mostly a retriever thing though, he always has to have something in his mouth!

No, I dont think it's just a retriever thing, my whippets do it too.

Yep this is Zeph all over. He will run around madly looking for just the right thing, according to him, to bring me when I get home. Hence there are always various toys laying around, and something always in his mouth. He also loves to make a game of stealing stuff from the recycling bin. When I wake up it is always one of my socks. Every morning. :laugh:

rofl1.gif This is hilarious and pretty much what one of our Shar Pei does, brings a teddy/shoe/stick/anything to show you what you cannot have. Unless you just happen have something better like a baby bocconcini, in which case she will look at you pointedly until you say "would you like to swap?" at which point she will spit out her trophy to relieve you of the better prize.

Lol yes, we have a bitch that 'swaps' as well. If you tell her the swap isn't good enough she will go away and find somwthing of higher value

These are some of the presents that Zeph has given me:

For Hankdog - peanut butter is a favourite in this house as well

03092013288_zps1a7ec9ca.jpg

Many toys are also gifts, as are balls

20140623_172248_zpsb4aa2819.jpg

20140318_204913_zps76de81c1.jpg

Footwear is also an option, always mine though, never the OH's

20140407_192317_LLS_zps588b5405.jpg

Well, Ronin is pretty sharing and caring... he sometimes gets my undies out of the dirty close basket and put them on my bedroom pillow :eek: :laugh: Have also found a pair under the pillow. :D

Bahaha!! :rofl:

I was just feeling a little rejected because mine don't bring me presents (without them wanting me to throw it) but now I'm fine with it!