Nexgard - Has Anyone Tried This Yet?

Tilly

People who say they don't believe in internal dosing .....what is the difference between internal dosing for ticks & fleas & internal dosing for heartworm & internal parasites. They are both poisons !! I have read where it has far less reactions than Comfortis.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the training information, there had been no adverse reactions reported during the trials in Australia.

It is 1 month for ticks as well and they made a point of saying that this was a full month rather than the 28 days for topicals.

I have used it on 2 of my dogs- no adverse reaction.

My (vet) friend who is in the Central coast has swapped to it with her Aussie as a gunia pig for their clients. No adverse reaction. She is a water baby so the oral formulation won't wash off the coat like topicals do.

Overall quite happy with it- there are always negative reviews. Sometimes these are valid however looking at the types of websites that are posting these reviews I am not too concerned by them.

I gave this to my two dogs last night & so far...no reaction :thumbsup: They were almost due for their Advantix & it has been so hot, that I dreaded having to tell them that they couldn't go swimming for a couple of days :( So too early to tell if it keeps the ticks away, but so far, so good with no reactions. I think I will give them this during the hot summer months & go back to Advantix during the months when swimming is not all that important....though they would argue that swimming is ALWAYS important, no matter what the weather :laugh:

BC Crazy, definitely not one to use with any dog prone to seizures. Because they are neurotoxins (Comfortis and Nexguard) they should not be used with any dog that has an existing neurological condition.

We considered it with most of ours, but really not cost effective when you have 12 dogs. We will be sticking with the scalibor collars.

BC Crazy, definitely not one to use with any dog prone to seizures. Because they are neurotoxins (Comfortis and Nexguard) they should not be used with any dog that has an existing neurological condition.

We considered it with most of ours, but really not cost effective when you have 12 dogs. We will be sticking with the scalibor collars.

You must be happy with the Scalibors DC. I might look into them for the winter months instead of the Advantix.

Very happy with the scalibor collars, we only have to buy 10 as 4 of the dogs are small enough to share one (we use the buckle end for the BCs and cable tie the terrier's collars as they rarely swim so don't need to remove them). So its only $150 every 3 months. Nexgard would set us back close to that every month.

Not that cost is everything in terms of our dog's lives and we would be up for a lot more than that to treat tick paralysis, but given we have never had an issue with the scalibor collars I don't feel the need to change :) That isn't to say we won't try it out in the future though.

I think it also depends on your area- I live in a very low risk area but decided it was worth using it because I go into some exceptionally high rick areas with some dogs. Also while I have always been able to limit contact with scrub etc this is becoming almost impossible and I am letting my muppets swim.

So for me it is worth using in specific situations!! Thankfully not all of my dogs need to be on it all the time- bloody work making me travel to tick areas :laugh:

ETA: Change that last comment- bloody clients living in tick areas but still having darn cute dogs!!!

Edited by Jumabaar

We live in a very high tick area, but we do all we can to limit exposure for the dogs. Their day runs are set up inside a garage, they only have access to a small, cleared yard for toileting, and when they are outside that yard it is usually for controlled exercise (fetching, training, soccer etc) where we don't set them up to be anywhere near trees or shrubs. Otherwise, they are free running in a cleared park or at the beach (where we deliberately avoid beach access that involves bush to the side of the paths). All of these precautions are more for snake avoidance, but it doubles as tick avoidance too :) Our dogs are not permitted in long grass either.

Cost wise...I think I worked it out for me, that it will cost me about the same as I pay for the Advantix, as I split the Advantix. It just takes out the hassle of having to apply it every two weeks without fail, & the fact that the dogs can't go swimming for a couple of days every two weeks

Delta Charlie, thank you so much for the heads up regarding this product & thinking of us. I had no idea it was unsafe to use on girls like Stella. I was just thinking the once a month & water safety advantages.

Will stick to the Advantix then.

Apprectiate that :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Guest donatella

I have started using this on mine. No adverse events and monthly tab appears to me. You definitely only need to treat monthly to have tick coverage.