Nexgard - Has Anyone Tried This Yet?

Tilly

Three weeks now & still no ticks. We had the dogs inside the caravan last night & when we went to bed, we found a few ticks on our beds...some were dead & others were very sick. I can only conclude that they had dropped off the dogs while they were on our beds. I havn't found any on the dogs yet though. :thumbsup: I am very pleased with Nexgard. No more worrying about swimming or shampooing either :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

A word of warning re the use of Nexgard, our dog had a negative reaction. Hyperactive, would not sleep, constant overnight barking. Took her to the vet who prescribed Kalma to address the side effects. No other variables likely to have caused this, problems stated just hours after giving Nexgard. Have reported the negative reaction to the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA).

Subsequent on-line research had revealed (if I have read it correctly) that Nexgard and it's active ingredient, Afoxolaner, is only available by veterinary prescription in the USA. An even greater concern is that there is no mention of possible side effects on the packaging or in the supplied treatment guide.

We're on our 2nd month here, including two Collie breeds (although I dont know if either is MDR1 affected) and no adverse reactions, no ticks. They had active fleas when they had the first dose and it killed them with no other treatment (other than flea bombing the house and a hydrobath with normal shampoo).

I like the once a month dose, not having to worry about baths, swimming and rain in the days before and after, and no greasy residue on their coats.

A word of warning re the use of Nexgard, our dog had a negative reaction. Hyperactive, would not sleep, constant overnight barking. Took her to the vet who prescribed Kalma to address the side effects. No other variables likely to have caused this, problems stated just hours after giving Nexgard. Have reported the negative reaction to the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA).

Subsequent on-line research had revealed (if I have read it correctly) that Nexgard and it's active ingredient, Afoxolaner, is only available by veterinary prescription in the USA. An even greater concern is that there is no mention of possible side effects on the packaging or in the supplied treatment guide.

As far as I know, Frontline and Advantix are similar, in that in the states, you need to see a vet to get them.

Could be wrong, but I remember reading that a couple of years ago and my mind boggling!

Not good to hear about another reaction, I've only had one reported to me from a customer, it made their dog itchy within a day, and the only thing they could put it down to was the Nexgard.

Still seems like fewer reactions than Advantix and Comfortis!

On our third month of it here & no reactions & no ticks :thumbsup:

Glad you're happy with it Sheena. I've found over the last couple of months the ticks have gone anyway, without Nexgard or tick collars. Usually winter and spring are worse for ticks here :(

On our third month of it here & no reactions & no ticks :thumbsup:

Glad you're happy with it Sheena. I've found over the last couple of months the ticks have gone anyway, without Nexgard or tick collars. Usually winter and spring are worse for ticks here :(

The ticks are back with a vengence here after all the rain, but only on the cattle & on us....still none on the dogs :thumbsup:

For those of you using Nexgard do you give it at the first of the month? I'm just wondering because my dogs get Interceptor on the 1st of each month so I'd hate to be overloading. Should I perhaps give it say the 14th of each month then continue with Interceptor on the 1st to spread the drugs out?

Edit: I'm keen to try Nexgard because there's no worry about the weather then.

Edited by RiverStar-Aura

I just ordered 3 months worth for Ernie. I'm going to give it a try especially since that dog can find water to jump into no matter where I take him for walks -- and I go to some pretty "ticky" looking places. Even though I check him every night, I'm worried I'll forget or miss something. Hopefully he tolerates it well. He does seen to have an iron gut - I noticed a bright pink clothes peg this morning. I'm obviously not checking the yard thoroughly enough when I put him out.

Edited by Stressmagnet

I give them two weeks apart & mark it on my calender when they are due next. So it's Interceptor on the 1st & Nexgard on the 14th.

Great thanks for that Sheena!! If you have an iPhone i use an App called iPet Care. It allows you to put things in like worming, vaccinations, fleas/insect and everything else and set what intervals they're to be given. Then it sends you reminders when something is due. It's pretty handy!!

• 1 month later...

We have been using it for 3 mths now with both our dogs. first month one threw up but it was a week later, so likely not connected abd both had loose stools for a day or so, the 2nd and 3rd month, no noticable reactions :)

Thanks for the heads up on the App, Fluff. Ernie's just finished his first month on Nexguard and I've seen no ill effects at all. I must admit, I'm liking not having to worry about his dunking himself in any available body of water less than 24 hours after a topical dose. We live in Tick Central.

NexGard and Bravecto

Are you and your dog healthy and free of infectious diseases?

The new miracle cures NexGard and Bravecto have the potential to make you and your pets very sick in a short time!

Risk to humans and animals through new prevention agents ( NexGard and Bravecto )

If You Want to read the full article, click here ... ..

http://www.borrelios..._-Bravecto1.pdf

We've used it on all of our dogs plus our foster dog Cricket. Cricket came from Broken Hill which has a lot of bush ticks. I asked his temp carer to give him an anti flea and anti tick med but she didn't want to and preferred to use tweezers. End result, the poor dog was absolutely crawling with ticks when he came to us.

cricket04.jpg

Vets helped us remove a bunch but he still had a bunch. He had over 100. The other dog from Broken Hill had over 200 on her.

cricket03.jpg

The ticks really enjoyed sucking his blood

cricket06.jpg

We had him vaccinated at the pound and he had served out his quarantine time at the temp carer's place but the ticks were a problem - so we gave him and our resident dogs Nexgard and kept them segregated for 48 hours

cricket08.jpg

Within 24 hours, the area around the metal crate had a border of dead ticks and we checked him to make sure that all the ticks were gone.

Our dogs suffered no ill-effects. We normally don't need tick medication here because Canberra isn't too ticky and we use a topical when we go to the coast - but if we get any more fosters from tick-areas, I will definitely be sending Nexgard to the pound/temp carer ahead of the dog coming to us ...

Edited by koalathebear