Feeding Once A Day?

danakay9

Hi :D

I have a 1 year old pomeranian.

So I'm thinking of feeding my dog once a day. Just wanna know what opinions are out there about this matter. Does anyone feed their dog once a day? or has anyone had any good or bad experience by feeding their dog once a day? etc etc

THANKS! :thumbsup:

Edited by danakay9

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I'm thinking of feeding my dog once a day. Just wanna know what opinions are out there about this matter. Does anyone feed their dog once a day? or has anyone had any good or bad experience by feeding their dog once a day? etc etc

Depends on a few different factors. What breed and what age is the dog?

Depends on a few different factors. What breed and what age is the dog?

Just edited my original post with those details :)

Our dogs eat raw, so if we get a 700gm lamb neck Gus might have that for dinner and no breakie or vice versa, its rare but it has happened. I think the biggest plus we have noticed is that our dogs don't know what's coming so don't sit about and whine for a meal at meal time, but that could be achieved by moving things around anyway.

The other thing as well is it depends when we exercise them, I worry about bloat so wouldn't fill him with food after a huge run and swim, so he might only have a treat for breakie that day, or a Kong and a larger tea.

Having said that, Gus is 28kg so much bigger than a pom! Not sure how such a little dog would go.

Edited by Steph M

Mine get their main meal at night & their raw meaty bones in the morning...so I guess, they are being fed twice a day. I think I would feel odd, not giving them something in the morning & then expecting them to eat a great big meal at night before bed :(

Mine get their main meal at night & their raw meaty bones in the morning...so I guess, they are being fed twice a day. I think I would feel odd, not giving them something in the morning & then expecting them to eat a great big meal at night before bed :(

Same in this house.

Zig and any fosters are fed their main meal (usually VAN or BARF patties) of an evening and get some form of bone in the morning (usually half a chicken frame, turkey neck, lamb rib or similar).

I guess I do it because it is the way my parents fed our animals as kids.

Gruf is a very active 23 kg mixed breed, raw fed, and he gets a breakfast of about two large tablespoons of raw mince The Formula from Adelaide Dog, which I feed as a meaty soup by adding about half a cup of room temperature water to it. Some times I will chuck in an egg, or some cottage cheese, or yoghurt, or some raw organ meat etc but only another couple of mouthfulls of whatever. In the evening he gets a meaty bone meal to suit his size and the days activity level. These include a staple of raw turkey necks, and we swap sometimes for raw chicken carcass, raw duck carcass, raw lamb neck bones etc, and sometimes fresh raw whole sardines. When he is at work with me during the week I feel sorry for him and give him a snack at lunch time to help fill in his day, which is usually a tiny piece of lamb neck or preferably a raw chicken foot.

He has a very varied raw diet. He is always excited to get his meals, and always eats everything with enthusiasm, but never pesters me for food. He appears to be active, healthy, and satisfied with what he eats and how it is fed.

Personally I would not be comfortable letting him gorge his daily raw allowance in one feed.

If I were feeding kibble, which I do not, but if I did, I would not want my dog eating a large volume in one meal, and would split it into two.

Really the answer lies in what you feed, how much you feed, and what suits your dog and your routine best.

Edited by GrufLife

I've only ever fed my adult dogs once a day. At the moment they are fed early to mid afternoon as a rule.

My current adult male does get about a tablespoon of mince in the morning as well with his medication.

Occasionally - maybe once a week he will also get a bone or maybe a chicken carcass as well during the day

I raw feed and besides very young dogs or dogs who've recently had surgery, my dogs/foster dogs get one meal a day. In all the dogs I've had, we've never had bloat by feeding this way and because everyone gets a limited time to eat, no one is fussy or picks over their food. The dogs are usually fed in the evening and anything left over after one hour is removed.

I would not consider restricting a little toy size dog to just one meal a day. If you feed only once a day you may find the dog will frequently vomit bile due to having an empty stomach for so long.

May I ask why you want to feed a tiny dog only once a day?

My small breed dogs (Cavaliers) are fed a raw diet twice a day. I also fed my large breed dogs twice a day because I think 24 hours is too long between feeds.

I also feed twice a day - similiar to Sheena, a RMB in the morning and a proper meal / meal as training rewards in the evening. I have tried just feeding once a day before but my dogs would then vomit up bile more often, so I switched to twice a day and much prefer it. Have had no problems since.

Edited by silentchild

I would not consider restricting a little toy size dog to just one meal a day. If you feed only once a day you may find the dog will frequently vomit bile due to having an empty stomach for so long.

May I ask why you want to feed a tiny dog only once a day?

My small breed dogs (Cavaliers) are fed a raw diet twice a day. I also fed my large breed dogs twice a day because I think 24 hours is too long between feeds.

I agree with this.

Both my Samoyeds and Havanese are fed twice a day.

My small, medium and large sized dogs eat once a day but usually have some training treats or chews at other times as well. Young dogs and puppies here work for most of their food too- treat balls and training with very few actual meals.

Small dogs can suffer from hypoglycaemia if fed once a day. I was always taught they should have two feeds a day. Even if one is a small bone or treat or whatever.

I feed my whippets once a day as such but they often get a bone or treat or something in the morning. If I don't one will vomit bile, the other two are fine.