Border Collie Collapse & Climate

sheena

There are plenty of southern dogs up here in Qld and Qld dogs down south. Its possible, however there are dogs down south who suffer BCC. Ness in SA - it can get quite hot there, although not as humid as Qld. Jemma not only suffered BCC in summer, but also winter and at night. So heat in general, while a contributing factor, not the only factor in my experience when I lived with a dog with it.

Jemma was bred in Qld and did not have a super thick coat. I did find that weight did affect how often and severity of collapses. She needed to remain working dog thin. Her fitness regime consisted of much swimming in the dam.

I have friends in the Northern hemisphere who's dogs will still have episodes in the middle of winter in the snow. I know from my conversations with some of the vet practices down here its not as uncommon as you might expect. They are certainly aware of more cases of it. I got a similar picture when I was submitting blood for the study when they said I would be surprised at the number of Australian dogs who had submitted samples for affected dogs.