What The? Face Puffing Up

This afternoon I came home and went out to get the dogs to take them to the beach and Quinn's face was all puffed up. I took her to the vet, assuming an allergic reaction. The vet agreed it was probably a reaction to a bee sting or ant bite and have her an injection of antihistamine and one of cortisone. The swelling immediately started to go down and returned almost to normal but not quite.

Since then (I saw her about 2:45, vet at 3:45, now 1am in Qld) she puffed up again about 9:30pm, went down again by about 10:15pm, was ok at 11:30ish when I checked her and is a bit puffy again now.

Her breathing has appeared ok throughout and her heart rate and temp were ok at the vet this arvo.

This hasn't happened before but we're staying with my mum having just moved to the Gold Coast and the dogs are in an outside run area with a sleeping area inside the garage. She hasn't had access to plants out there and I can't think of anything she's eaten that she hasn't had before. I can't see a bunch of ants or bees around their area, just a couple of cockroaches.

Any thoughts on why she might be puffing up and going down again like this? I've been checking her breathing and responsiveness tonight to make sure I don't need to take her to the emergency vet but should I take her back to the clinic we went to today in the morning? There doesn't seem to be much point injecting her again as she was puffy again 5 hours after the injections tonight but I don't want to risk it if there might be something they can do tomorrow.

Sigh, I've been lucky with her health wise so far, of course now I'm unemployed and staying with mum where she's not allowed to sleep inside with me something happens!

Edited by Simply Grand

Thanks gillbear, that's useful to know. My quick googling tells me the late stage may be more severe...or may not. Anyone awake and knowledgeable as to whether I should be with her for the next few hours in case her airway closes up? (Meaning I sleep outside or sneak her in?)

Eta not to worry, I couldn't deal with the concern so she's in the ensuite where I can keep an eye on her :) She seems fine. Although she's panting very fast :/

Edited by Simply Grand

Hope she is OK this morning. If I had my dogs up at the Gold Coast, I would be too worried about cane toads to let my dogs sleep outside :( Maybe you could mention cane toads to your mum & she might let you sleep your dogs inside in crates.

Thank you for the concern everyone :) She's looking good this morning, the swelling is pretty much gone. I still have her in the ensuite for now.

Mum (and especially step dad) are really pretty adamant about no dogs inside so I don't think they'll be convinced to let them sleep inside, although if Quinn keeps puffing up they maaaaaaay let her sleep in the ensuite I suppose.

I don't think there would be cane toads in the dogs' little area, there is a solid wall around the edge and we've added mesh to the gates to stop the little dogs getting through so toads would have to go to some effort to get in there, still when I get my own place I'll have to be aware of them!

I'll have a look for green head ants too.

Geez, it's a bit of a shock to the system moving up here, I was most worried about ticks and heart worm, which aren't really an issue in Canberra, but there are all these other things too!

Pleased to hear Quinn is going OK today & the swelling has gone down. Maybe your parents will see the light & let her inside. Some folks are just dead against it for whatever reason. I think once they see that she isn't going to trash the place maybe just maybe they might come around. Very hard living situation for you & your dogs atm.

Yes id love to live in QLD but I can't see myself up there. Just too many nasties. With ticks,snakes & canetoads. Bad enough here.