Gift Ideas For Dog Sitter

denali

Ok- so firstly some background. I have a reciprocal dog sitting arrangement. I look after her cavalier and she looks after my 3 (i definitely get the good end of the deal i think! I am so lucky to have found her and her family- she just adores the boys.) whenever we go away. I provide their food, beds, flea stuff etc

She wont accept money, so each time i buy a gift, previously chocolates, wine and last time I gave her a photo frame with some pictures of I took of her dog while she was staying with me.

However, all these previous stays have been for a few days only.

I will be leaving them with her for 3 weeks, which is a long time, and she still wont accept payment.

So i am wondering if you can think of any nice gifts that I could give instead?

I am honestly stumped- i feel this deserves more than a bottle of wine and chocolates but dont know what. So any ideas are helpful!

Guest crazydoglady99

Put money in an envelope. I used to be a house/pet sitter and I refused to accept payment also.. but when it was not given to me in a way that i felt uncomfortable (as in cash handed straight to me), i was more than happy to be paid!

Otherwise but gift cards for supermarket and petrol. Everyone uses those!

I've been given Movie Cards which I love to get and also Petbarn gift cards which are fantastic too. I'd feel uncomfortable able being given cash.

Movie gift card is a good idea! I love getting them too :)

I had to laugh at this, because whenever I've looked after people's dog/s, I too have said that I didn't want payment - and I meant it. I am genuinely happy to be able to help someone out and when it comes to giving people peace of mind because they know they can go away and not have to worry about the health and well being of their dogs, is enough for me.

One family who knew I was a vegetarian, used to go to a pasta place and get me some frozen lasagna meals LOL. I loved that.

I depends on the person and their likes and dislikes. If you really want to give something (and most people want to whether or not they are told to the contrary) it needs only be a token, a recognition.

I have been given some really nice gifts fromgrooming customers, a beautiful puzzle with dogs sitting on and around an armchair, my customer put it together and had it mounted, a lop eared rabbit carved out of timber (I love my rabbits),a ceramic pink poodle candle holder, an apron with a photo of my old standard girl on the front, a calendar with professional photos of their dogs, collectors edition stuffed poodle, doggie themed photo frames, animal themed signs, toys for my dogs, cute dog beds and there's other things I can't think of.

Hopefully that gives a few ideas.

I would pick something that isn't cash - gift card for the movies sounds good, or wine, food, some magazines or something.

I'm not a great deal of help - I have a good friend from mothers group who sometimes needs her fish fed and plants watered. I trade that for very occasional dog minding, cups of tea and we swap baby sitting. She offered me a pot of cuttings this time which I didn't take because it wasn't necessary. :o

I once looked after dogs, cats and over 20 horses for a friend's parents. 1.5-2 hours work twice a day for over a week as I was doing it on my own in summer before and after work. All horses were fed hay from round bales which had to be forked into a wheelbarrow and carted around the property on foot. Dogs all had to be let off of chains and exercised. Not only did they not offer money or even a token gift, I didn't even get a thank you phone call or even a call to let me know they arrived home! I certainly didn't do it expecting something in return but not even calling to say we're home and everything is fine was awful. Needless to say there was never an offer extended to help out again.

You guys are lovely. I'm sure they'll appreciate whatever you give them.