Do Not Feed Me Collars

Has anybody used a 'Do Not Feed Me' collar on their dog? If so, is it effective at deterring people from feeding your dog? My girl was most likely fed some pork crackling over Christmas by someone and got chronic pancreatitis. She nearly died I am incredibly worried that someone will give her a treat without me knowing. I'm trying to find the best way to stop people from doing this so any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Edited by essentialdog

I had one made for my old dog wih IBD. I got his normal collar and took in down to an engraver and they put a big name plate on it with. "SEVERE ALLERGIES, DO NOT FEED" and our number under it. It was more of a just in case he has ever gotten out or lost, but that never happened.

Edited by LisaCC

I met a dog down the beach that was wearing a bright yellow harness like an "in training" harness.

the dog came up to me (and my treats) and asked for one, and because it did that - I didn't give it anything - ie not rewarding mooching, tho my dog gets rewarded all the time. If people ask - I tell them to make her work for the treat but they don't understand until I show them how many tricks she can do.

The best I get is they ask for a sit.

She usually does a paddle dance...and gets the treat

Anyway - then I actually looked at the harness and what was written on it - "Please don't feed me" - in BIG Letters.

And then I had a chat with the owner because it was just my "don't reward the moochers and ask before giving another dog a treat" habit.

And she said her dog can get anaphalactic shock from eating off the restricted diet.

WTF - I could not imagine anything worse than causing the death of someone's pet by giving them a treat at the beach when they came up and asked for it.

And if it was my dog - there's no way I'd let her approach anyone for treats or forage if she was likely to die from anything. There's still the risk of fish hooks and puffer fish death at the beach but I'd have a chance to stop that.

Actually I really must make more of an effort to stop her mooching and foraging (picnic raids). It can suck the joy out of a beach walk. at the moment - she just goes on lead until she's out of the no response zone.

So conclusion - the biggest sign might not work if you still let your dog go mooching and begging.

I have a sheltie who can only eat liquid food so any treats or dropped food is quite dangerous to him. He wears a muzzle with do not feed written in bold letters across it but doesn't stop some people trying to give him treats as his Mummy is a meanie. It makes me so mad, I would never give a strange dog food let alone disregard something like a muzzle.

I have a sheltie who can only eat liquid food so any treats or dropped food is quite dangerous to him. He wears a muzzle with do not feed written in bold letters across it but doesn't stop some people trying to give him treats as his Mummy is a meanie. It makes me so mad, I would never give a strange dog food let alone disregard something like a muzzle.

I was about to suggest a muzzle and then saw your post! I would be LIVID! What is it with some people?

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am in a total state of panic and to loose her would be devastating. I can't stop her from going out and running around as that is no life for her at all. I figured the 'dont feed me collar'may be not enough, so I also ordered a doggie tshirt on cafepress that says 'Do not feed me, I have a medical condition'. If people don't listen then I'm just going to have to walk her with a small group of friends or get a muzzle.

Like you say OSO there are alot of dipshits out there. I just feel this deep sense of grief and loss for Maya and how much I have to limit certain things that she used to enjoy just to keep her safe.

essential dog

Do what you can to stop your dog saying hello to other people and dogs and especially to stop any kind of mooching. For distraction proofing, get friends to carry safe treats - so there's the smell - and maybe do some handouts to their dogs. My dog can spot a treat handout across an oval even when it's too far to smell it.

But the safest options might be a lead and a muzzle - some muzzles are better than others and most people (but not toddlers and their sleep deprived parents) will avoid letting their fingers anywhere near a dog wearing a muzzle.

You can train a dog to enjoy wearing a muzzle - especially if it means a walk.

Cowan loves getting his muzzle on as it means we are going out. It doesn't hinder him at all and in fact allows him more freedom as otherwise he would have to be on lead. I do still get the occasional idiot but most are respectful. He does scare a few people, apparently anything with a muzzle on must be aggressive.

Yep I figured that some people still won't take any notice even if she's wearing the 'dont feed me, i have a medical condition' tshirt. After reading all your comments, I have decided to introduce the muzzle in a positive way so thank you so much for your help. It just annoys me that she has to be limited because people can't help themselves. It's nice that people love my girl but also feels to me like they're giving out the treats to make themselves happy and couldn't give a hoot about her well being.

Yep I figured that some people still won't take any notice even if she's wearing the 'dont feed me, i have a medical condition' tshirt. After reading all your comments, I have decided to introduce the muzzle in a positive way so thank you so much for your help. It just annoys me that she has to be limited because people can't help themselves. It's nice that people love my girl but also feels to me like they're giving out the treats to make themselves happy and couldn't give a hoot about her well being.

I agree it is very selfish and very annoying. Especially when they treat you like you are only doing it to "be mean", people really need to think about why some people go to these lengths!

I'm one of the ones who has trouble resisiting big brown eyes - even tho I know it's bad.

I feel cruel withholding a treat from a dog that wants it - so yes - feeding the dog makes me feel better.

But I know better, I also know how bad it is to reward a begging dog. I try to premack my dog asking... and also supervise the giving of treats. Because I know other people feel cruel if they have to turn her down. But I can help reduce that bad feeling for them by taking my naughty dog away.

Strange how we don't feel the same way about human beggars.

The best I can do for them is feel I'm glad they're not using a gun to take my money. Sometimes I give them something and sometimes I don't. Mostly I don't because it means digging in my bag but if it's handy then sometimes I do. Sigh.

If I thought my dog risked death from cadging treats - I wouldn't let her.