Flies Attacking My Pups

I really, really need some help and I,m hoping someone is able to assist me!!

My poor staffy pups are being attacked by flies! It started while my partner and myself were away on holidays mid last month and the dogs were left with my partner's parents. It started with my one year old pup whos poor ears are red raw. (this bloody sun isn't helping him) :mad Now my other staffy pup (6 months) is starting to be attacked also. We have cleaned the whole backyard, disposed of any poop and no dirty bowls left out. I Went out and bought a few gecko bug catchers and spayed all hard surfaces with pet friendly bug spray.

Im currently cleaning with salty warm water, diluted natural lavender oil and than cover there ears in buzz off fly repellent.. but everytime I am putting on there ears the little one likes to lick off..

I hoping someone is able to assist with any remedies that has help and can help my poor boys :(:heart:

Edited by Tyson'smum

Can you put them inside?

Unfortunately I'm currently in a rental so Im unable to leave them inside when we're at work, they like to run a much alone when in the house! I try to have them inside with me as much as I can though.

A Vet told me to use Advantatix to stop the flies. Since doing so I've had no problem. There are heaps of repellents that can be bought but you do need to re apply them regularly and my dogs hated having them applied..

Thank you! I will give advantix a go. Yeah my dogs dont mind it.. actually they like it that much that they lick if off one another thats the hardest part!

An old-fashioned home made fly repellent (which dogs DON'T lick off, IME) was to coat the ears with Vicks vapour rub.

My grandfather swore by a mixture of Dettol and Vaseline to keep horse flies at bay on his working kelpies.

If they are constantly cleaning the store bought repellents from each other then it is totally ineffective.

My Lab is having a hell of a time with the flies this year, it's never been a problem in all his 13 years of life, they're shocking this year.

All I had in the house was that purple spray you use on horses wounds. He now has purple ears and legs but it does work lmao.

A Vet told me to use Advantatix to stop the flies. Since doing so I've had no problem. There are heaps of repellents that can be bought but you do need to re apply them regularly and my dogs hated having them applied..

That's what I used on my old girl who liked to sunbake outside. It doesn't repel the flies but it does kill them once they've bitten the ear (I applied a drop to the back of each ear). It can't be applied to broken skin though so any fly bites need to be protected until they've healed up. For that, I used Filta-bac, applied thickly enough to physically stop flies from getting at her ears. Only downside to Filta-bac is that it ends up smeared on everything.

Another thing worth trying it QuickBayt to kill the flies before they bother the dogs. I've been using it for a couple of years now and it's incredibly effective stuff. It comes as a powder which you can prepare a few different ways- I add water for a thin paste and then paint it fairly liberally around the back porch, where the dogs liked to sunbake and anywhere else flies seem to like sitting. The new formula is red coloured and attracts flies even better than the original. It's a bit pricey but definitely worth it.

Edited for typo

Edited by Maddy

Lots of good ideas, can the possibly have access to a garage r shed? I find that any dogs I have in the kennels, even if they come in with fly bites seems to heal quickly as they have access to inside the kennels and the flies seem to back off when they are inside.

I have used zinc cream to heal them with repel-x sprayed over the top but that would be no good if one is licking the otehr ears. The repel-x may stop pup licking though as it is stinky - like citronella.

Be warned it does leave a stain on your hands and if the dog rubs quickly afterwards it'll leave a stain on whatever he rubbed on. But I had exactly the same problem, enough that my poor boys ears bled, I used purple spray, which you can find at any horse store. It has antiseptic for the ears and fly spray for the flys. It's a purple stain, so you can see where it has been sprayed.

The purple spray (the main brand being Cetrigen which is in a small white aresol can) is brilliant stuff but yes if it gets on you wet it stains...

http://www.virbac.com.au/files/live/sites/au-public/files/pdf/PIS/horse-owner/Cetrigen-PIS.pdf

If there's no wound repel -x (made by Troy) is the best thing I've ever found, we had huge problems with fly bites at one stage and nothing else worked.

Best of luck!