Brisbane Vet Recommendation

We've recently relocated to the south-eastern suburbs of Brisbane (Wakerley area) for me to start an exciting new career outside of the veterinary industry. Unfortunately none of my contacts know any vets in Brissy and it's a little nerve wracking being on the client side of the veterinary desk after so long in the industry! Wondering if anyone can recommend vets in my area? I'm looking for somewhere with excellent communication, transparency and emphasis on best practice and continuing education and qualification/professionalism of staff. I don't want one of the big franchise practices (worked for them in the past) and am happy to drive out of my area for routine care but will need something nearby for emergencies too. Can anyone help? TIA :)

Super Vets on Wondall Road, Manly West. I've just recently changed over to them, after hearing good reports. We see Ray, but my Aunt regularly sees both Vets with her elderly dog. They have their practice manned by a Vet 24 hours, home calls are no problems at same price as clinic visit. Our old dobe had ultrasound, x rays and three teeth removed this week. The care from all staff was exceptional, lovely to be able to phone late at night to have any concerns handled. Then they phoned me first thing the following morning to see how she fared through the night. We have been very pleased with our experience so far. I phoned them on Sunday after Boxing Day, not expecting to get an appointment that day, gave me a choice of three times, and was able to get my girl onto antibiotics and painkillers immediately.

Just a quick addition, I have lived in this area for 40 years, have used both of the other local vets also mentioned, but found I couldn't always see the same Vet regularly. Not a big deal possibly for some, but I was looking for someone that my old girl would be comfortable with as we're entering that age of needing continuity of care. She adores Ray, and you've got to love a bloke who happily chats to your dog! My last visit to Manly Road was on a Sunday, saw a Vet we'd never seen before, and frankly, the way he treated my old greyhound, we haven't been back. Just an uncaring, indifferent attitude to a gentle old soul.

• 1 month later...

Hello, sorry for the slight hijack, but we're in a similar position with looking for a vet. Did the OP end up trying any one of those suggestions?

We're up for our pup's third needle and the vet we saw who gave him his second needle didn't seem to pay particular attention to our pup when we asked him about our pup's (maltese) tearing problem. Is it normal to charge for a consult + needle fee normally? Thought the needle fee usually includes the 'consult'? Anyways, we are south side Brisbane also. May give a few vets a call later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for those recommendations - I've heard good things of Animal Options might take the pup down there next time, and for desexing.

This may come across as a bit of a left field rant, however the vets we've come across so far near us have either been overly expensive and not very thorough in their work, or thorough, but very pushy on sales and procedures. For example, with our second vet, we were still deciding whether to go for an injection or topical treatment for heartworm and get had already prepared a syringe with the pup's 3'rd vac and heartworm ready. He said if we didn't want the heartworm injection he'd have to dispose of the needle and waste the product which he wasn't impressed with. We hadn't even given him a response yet.

Thanks for those recommendations - I've heard good things of Animal Options might take the pup down there next time, and for desexing.

This may come across as a bit of a left field rant, however the vets we've come across so far near us have either been overly expensive and not very thorough in their work, or thorough, but very pushy on sales and procedures. For example, with our second vet, we were still deciding whether to go for an injection or topical treatment for heartworm and get had already prepared a syringe with the pup's 3'rd vac and heartworm ready. He said if we didn't want the heartworm injection he'd have to dispose of the needle and waste the product which he wasn't impressed with. We hadn't even given him a response yet.

I will jump in to say that Rowan is the fantastic one that you hear about.

I saw someone else there and really was not impressed at all, when i spoke to the people who recommended me said "yes, you have to specify Rowan."

smile.gif

Thats not good at all..

I am also in the market for a new vet. I have two near me, one that i used to love, but previously she has gotten more sales oriented and was also unnecessarily rough with my cat icon_smile_mad.gif So she's out.

So i use the other if needed. I am just hanging in there until i get out of vet school myself and no longer need anyone else biggrin.gif

I can also say that SuperVets in Manly West is fantastic, I would wholeheartedly recommend them. Dr Ray in particular is extremely thorough, gentle and didn't have an issue answering my list of questions and concerns.

Two weeks ago I had my 3 year old border collie de-sexed with them, I couldn't fault the service and care that both my border collie and I received.

I think we will drive down to visit Rowan for our next visit, including possibly desexing as well.

If we were in Melbourne we'd be visiting this guy for sure! - Dr Bruce . It's hard to find vets who look out for their well being for pets. For example he doesn't recommend vaccinating annually, nor kibble food (even though he is now selling his own pet food), we have been feeding our puppy a raw diet and want a vet who is willing to work with us and advise/monitor our dog's health...

I will jump in to say that Rowan is the fantastic one that you hear about.

I saw someone else there and really was not impressed at all, when i spoke to the people who recommended me said "yes, you have to specify Rowan."

smile.gif

Thats not good at all..

I am also in the market for a new vet. I have two near me, one that i used to love, but previously she has gotten more sales oriented and was also unnecessarily rough with my cat icon_smile_mad.gif So she's out.

So i use the other if needed. I am just hanging in there until i get out of vet school myself and no longer need anyone else biggrin.gif