Pets Die In Sa Boarding Kennel Fire

Sheridan

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG what an sbsolute tragedy, it is just horrific :cry: :cry: :cry: - worst possible time with full kennels, worst nightmare ever for kennel owners :cry: :cry: :cry:

My heart just aches for the poor pets that lost their lives, :cry: :cry: :cry: (run free :rainbowbridge: ) their poor owners, majority of whom will be on holiday :grouphug: and of course the poor kennel owners dealing with such a huge loss of lives and property :grouphug: So pleased that there are survivors with one large kennel block saved. Feel for the firies having to deal with this as well :grouphug:

Just so awful :cry:

Absolutely frightful. How appalling for all those poor pets. Now over the bridge. So sad.

On facebook, it says offers were made to relocate the dogs yesterday and when owners phoned to ask if they should collect their dogs from the kennel, they were told "no" by the kennel owner, and that there was no danger.

Mr Hicks said "We went back to find the fire ... had burned down our cattery and had burned down a significant part of our kennels,”. Which I take to mean he was either not there, or had evacuated, but the boarding animals were still there to face the fire.

I wonder why there was no evacuation plan which was put into place yesterday - apparently there were offers of help, and offers of places for the animals.

I am the last person to criticise in this situation, but it bothers me that offers to help were rejected; moving 100 odd dogs and umpteen cats was going to be a long job. Perhaps they thought the fire would go somewhere else, and perhaps they didn't realise how fast fire moves, particularly bushfire with high winds.

Whatever, God speed to the poor pets crossing the bridge, fortitude to their owners to help them with their grief, and strength to the boarding kennel owners, who lost everything in the fire. My sincere sympathy to you all.

Absolutely frightful. How appalling for all those poor pets. Now over the bridge. So sad.

On facebook, it says offers were made to relocate the dogs yesterday and when owners phoned to ask if they should collect their dogs from the kennel, they were told "no" by the kennel owner, and that there was no danger.

Mr Hicks said "We went back to find the fire ... had burned down our cattery and had burned down a significant part of our kennels,”. Which I take to mean he was either not there, or had evacuated, but the boarding animals were still there to face the fire.

I wonder why there was no evacuation plan which was put into place yesterday - apparently there were offers of help, and offers of places for the animals.

I am the last person to criticise in this situation, but it bothers me that offers to help were rejected; moving 100 odd dogs and umpteen cats was going to be a long job. Perhaps they thought the fire would go somewhere else, and perhaps they didn't realise how fast fire moves, particularly bushfire with high winds.

Whatever, God speed to the poor pets crossing the bridge, fortitude to their owners to help them with their grief, and strength to the boarding kennel owners, who lost everything in the fire. My sincere sympathy to you all.

This must bring back all sorts of horror for you Jed... hugs my friend...

T.

https://www.facebook.com/letshelpteatreegullyboardingandcattery?fref=ts

Tragedy means support is needed after the event.

Just be careful, isn't set up by the company, it's been set up by someone named Olivia Kmet and judging by the email address for the paypal account, it's hers. Her intentions are probably completely honourable but be sure of who you are donating to.

Thank you for saying what was on my mind, and not knowing how to say it. I was wondering if they had any opportunity to evacuate. Devastating for everyone.

We live in a fire prone area, and people laugh at me for choosing a boarding place, out of the area, based on it's location (basically surrounded by concrete, not bush).

Edited by pipsqueak

Yes I can't imagine a worse way to way to go. Trapped & burnt to death. The one thing that I truly hope is that it happen very quickly. Light speed. Horrifying really. My heart goes out to all those heart broken pet owners. They have the right thing by having their pet cared for while they are unable to but nature has other ideas. Just so very sad...:(

Edited by BC Crazy

This was the first thing I read when I got up this morning and I've been in tears for the last hour. I can't even imagine being told this had happened to Roo ... So very sad for the business owners and the owners of all of those animals, when many owners would have been interstate and overseas and powerless to do anything. That CFA firefighter who lost his own two dogs and saved one by giving it mouth to mouth ... what an amazing man, to do that when he must have been so heartbroken himself.

I have no experience of running a kennel, or of fire, so comment on what the owners could or couldn't have done by me would be unfair - but they lost their home and their own dogs as well, and that would be heartbreaking.

My thoughts will be with them, with the owners, and all those dogs and cats today

https://www.facebook.com/letshelpteatreegullyboardingandcattery?fref=ts

Tragedy means support is needed after the event.

Just be careful, isn't set up by the company, it's been set up by someone named Olivia Kmet and judging by the email address for the paypal account, it's hers. Her intentions are probably completely honourable but be sure of who you are donating to.

I had actually typed a response to VizslaMomma's post, just saying that I felt setting up this FB page was a bit premature, but didn't post it because I thought maybe I was being unsympathetic.

I did look at the FB page and, as K says, the woman's intentions are probably honourable, but why would anyone donate to a rebuild of a business when you don't even know if the people are going to rebuild no matter what the business might have been.

And in a tragic situation like this where so many other people have been so horribly affected, well I wouldn't be touching it.

Fire is my worst nightmare. I am forever worrying about house fires with our pets, and I can't imagine a more terrifying and painful way to go. I hope they succumbed to smoke inhalation long before the fire reached them.

We had one of our dogs die while we were on holiday (of bloat) and that was a harrowing enough drive back to take her body to the vet for a necropsy. I can't imagine what the owners of the dogs and the business are feeling right now. Probably a lot of 'what ifs' and 'if only' :(

Certainly does, Indigirl. So many poor boarding souls lost.

Most of the pets (and people) who die in fires die from CO poisoning, or smoke inhalation, which is very fast and painless. Some do burn, but the minority.

I think it might be better to give any donations direct to the kennel owners, rather than through someone else.

Magnus23July06.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

IMG_0929.jpg

Meg23Jul06.jpg

day571873-2.jpg