Temporary "desexing"

Clyde

My neighbour has just phoned to ask some questions about his dogs. He has registered, pedigree working Kelpies. His main dog is about 5yrs old and entire, he has just brought in an 18 month old bitch. He would like to keep them both entire but is concerned about the bitch when she's in season. His sheep station is not his place of residence but he goes there each day to work and he has farm hands also with entire working dogs. He is concerned about one of them getting to his bitch. He is hoping there is something he can give the bitch to temporarily stop her seasons. If worse comes to worse and he has no choice he will desex her but the male is a valuable working dog and he'd like to keep that option open.

We discussed Suprelorin for the dog (I'm not too familiar with it), he is concerned about it affecting his working ability too. He is on 1000's of acres and the dogs work hard. It also doesn't solve his issue in always needing both dogs to work and working the bitch when in season with other working dogs around.

Any help from experienced people/breeders would be appreciated.

Cheers.

he can always do what we have done forever - lock the bitch in a floored/roofed pen with supervised exercise , for 6 weeks a year . Surely he can manage for that short time?y brother's dogs can be worked with in season bitches for short times ..they know to concentrate on work , luckily. Accidents do happen .... with silent seasons..breakdown of security - but all in all - the locking away of a bitch does work.

I know of a breeder outside Australia that will have her bitches needled on occasion - not sure of the risks etc but she hasn't had any problems with hers including very successful breedings.

Most good working gundogs that I know are good regardless of desexing status and the entire males (particularly if they've been used at stud) will only be a real PITA when the bitch is ready to mated. Even my Dalmatian will happily train with me when Em is in pro-oestrus….he will still train when she is ready to stand but is just silly and I only do it to keep him busy. As pers said though, accidents can and do happen!

It's not really what I asked Persephone. He is trying to find a way around having to resort to that. He has brought the dog in as he is desperately short staffed so no, he can't do without an "employee" for any amount of time. If he can't find a way around it then he will opt to spey, but a $3500 working dog, he would rather keep entire for now. Hence wanting to look at something temporary for the bitch rather than the dog.

I wanted to stop my bitch from coming into season as she was booked in for surgery when she was due in, the vet gave her an injection to stop the season. The vet said it was risky to give it more than once. In my case the bitch wasn't going to be bred from anyway so I didn't look into potential issues with breeding down the track. Unfortunately for us she came into season when she was due despite the injection, so it doesn't seem to be a guaranteed option

More than one way of doing this, ask a greyhound vet - I understand that the greyhound breeders do it all the time to keep their best bitches in work until they have the credentials to have a "top of the range" litter.

1420337350[/url]' post='6622695']

Sorry - didn't realise he was short a dog ...

Reading back what I wrote I sounded a bit snippy, sorry! But yeh, he's down a couple of men and his older dog is getting too exhausted hence bringing in the new girl.

thanks Jrg, no grey vets here I don't think but I'll pass it on.

Greyhound people use a pill but its very strict on when it can be given,we have used it & it stuffed our girls season uo badly & wouldn't use it again,the occasion was many years ago & an emergency no option scenario,it worked for what we wanted but not benefical long term.

As to her costing $3500 that means nothing he has few options price makes no difference,if hes not prepared to lock her away then he only has two options left there is no simple solution

May be a stupid suggestion- but if he can't lock her up, can she just wear pants during her season?

Like a chastity belt of sorts laugh.gif

ETA: I've no experience with entire dogs, and working dogs, so this may be totally out of question.

Edited by denali

denali - the pants don't really work all that well ...

My bitch only wears pants to stop her dripping discharge and the associated scent all over the house - saves my lad some angst but definitely no protection against mating.

Damn. I've never had a female dog so haven't had to deal with this. They looked good to me!

I did some googling:

Heat cycle in dogs can be halted by using megestrol acetate (commercial name: Ovaban).

Though another website said you still have to isolate the bitch from males? So this may not be the pill people are talking about.

Also found this

Cheque Drops, which are also sold as Mibolerone, are a liquid oral contraceptive. They should be administered to female dogs daily for thirty days before the heat cycle begins.

ETA: Just found this- very helpful.

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/breeding/birthcontrol.htm

Edited by denali

I did some googling:

Miberlone got abused badly by humans for weight building.

For bitches, you should never use it before the first season.

Also there are a whole heap of side effects that mean due care and diligence needs to be taken for its usage. Can be very toxic.

Edited by VizslaMomma

I did some googling:

Miberlone got abused badly by humans for weight building.

For bitches, you should never use it before the first season.

Also there are a whole heap of side effects that mean due care and diligence needs to be taken for its usage. Can be very toxic.

I did read that frown.gif

But no other drugs came up in my searching-

So would one of them likely be the ones greyhound trainers are using?