Cyst

wire

Just wanted some opinions on what to do please.

Murphy has always been plagued with sebaceous cysts for a few years now but also had an on off ear infections at the same time.

Finally, after many different treatments (and vets) we managed to cleared up his ear infections and his overall health has really picked up since and the cysts also stopped forming in large clusters, except for one between his shoulder blades.

When he was last at the vets (6 months ago) celebrating the ears being clear, the vet took a fine needle aspiration from the cyst just to make sure it was nothing to worry about and gave the all clear. He advised to leave it and it would either explode or dissipate. The next day it grew slightly bigger.

Since the needle aspiration, the cyst has slowly grown and now it's pretty large, on the surface of his skin but deep, and It's like a volcano ready to explode. Being between his shoulder blades, I would think a painful position ? Plus he wears a harness.

Am wondering if I should just take him to the vet so he can slash the top off to get the puss out. I don't think it will be more painful for the vet to do it as apposed to it exploding on its own. I really don't think this one will just dissipate, it's been too long and has built up a pretty large puss bucket in there.

It's been growing for over 6 months now and I would like to contain it with clearing it out an a jab of antibiotics to control any infection.

Am I being a hypochondriac dog owner? Should I just leave it alone? His next grooming is in 2 weeks so I thought if I had his puss bucket removed, most healing should be done by then ...

Your thoughts ? :confused: thanks

Edited by wire

Cover it in black Ichthammol ointment from the chemist. If it is near ready to rupture the ointment will draw it to a head so it can break. Then clean it out with warm water and pack it with the ointment. Each day bathe it again and reapply the ointment for 4-5 days and it should empty and heal from the inside out. It will clear out any infection so you don't need antibiotics. My boy had two cysts in the same place about the size of a large cherry. One formed into an abscess after I tried to lance it and the above treatment fixed it completely. The second slightly smaller one, I left alone and several months later it just ruptured of it's own accord. I squeezed it out completely and again used the same treatment regime with total success. Neither lump came up again.

Thanks dancinbcs, took him to the vet who lanced it & took out as much puss as they could. I decided to give him the antibiotic injection anyway just in case.

The problem is, I can't squeeze my own zits let alone this one which was the size of a small apricot, :eek::eek:

He's now good, not struggling or in pain but there's still a lump so they didn't extract it all by the looks of it. Hopefully it will sort itself out but I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm sure others will be interested in your suggestion of treating puss buckets though, ta :D

Thanks dancinbcs, took him to the vet who lanced it & took out as much puss as they could. I decided to give him the antibiotic injection anyway just in case.

The problem is, I can't squeeze my own zits let alone this one which was the size of a small apricot, :eek::eek:

He's now good, not struggling or in pain but there's still a lump so they didn't extract it all by the looks of it. Hopefully it will sort itself out but I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm sure others will be interested in your suggestion of treating puss buckets though, ta :D

Still get the Ichthammol ointment to make sure it cleans the wound out completely. We use it on humans, dogs, cats and horses for any wound or infection that does not require stitches. Never need a vet or doctor for an infected wound or to treat an abscess. It is particularly great for puncture wounds like bites and cat claw wounds. We couldn't live without it. My family have been using it since before I was born so some time around the late 1950s on the recommendation of a greyhound trainer that lived near them. I grew up calling it dog ointment even though it is really meant for humans.

Oh god I wouldn't be able to help not picking that lol, my poor dogs have always had to put up with my picking and squeezing.

Timely thread thanks!

Stevie has had a cyst just at the base of her tail for a couple of months, slowly getting bigger, too big to squeeze now so I'll try some ichthammol! Bit worried it will get licked off by Stevie or one of the others though. And it's a very hairy spot, so will take some work to get onto the skin. If no luck with that, I think she'll need it taken off - it's annoying me more than her at the moment, but it's growing faster all the time.

Glad to read your pup is doing ok Wire :)

Timely thread thanks!

Stevie has had a cyst just at the base of her tail for a couple of months, slowly getting bigger, too big to squeeze now so I'll try some ichthammol! Bit worried it will get licked off by Stevie or one of the others though. And it's a very hairy spot, so will take some work to get onto the skin. If no luck with that, I think she'll need it taken off - it's annoying me more than her at the moment, but it's growing faster all the time.

Glad to read your pup is doing ok Wire :)

It's quite safe if they lick it off. Even safe for cats. Some seem to like the taste but if you keep putting it on they get sick of it and do leave enough on for it to work.

I'll also pick some up tomorrow. The cyst seems to still be there but smaller (cherry size), there's no wound or scab though...?

the vet nurse said she enjoyed every moment of squeezing it out....and I could hear the poor boy crying....I thought they would have made a small incision but I think they only used a needle and some squeezing which surprises me as it was large. My regular vet is back next week so may need to take him back, poor boy :(