Leasing Out A Bitch For A Litter

Caesars mum

I have had an approach to lease a bitch of mine who I don't intend to breed with so that they can take a litter and hopefully get a couple of nice bitch puppies to keep, she is from there lines but not breed by them.

They have suggested a couple of dogs they may use and if they did lease her I would be interested in taking a male puppy if they use one of the dogs they have suggested but not the other two. If they use one of the others what would you expect in return for letting them use your bitch, obviously they cover all costs associated. Would it be like using a stud dog and service fee is the value of a puppy?

All advice much appreciated.

I am breeding a gril I did originally breed and sold to another breeder. The breeder who owns the girl not in a position to breed at present and I am happy with an arrangement where we share all expenses 50 50 and all profit 50 50. She has raised the girl and paid all expenses but I will whelp the pups and arrange buyers. We have shared the stud fee and progesterone tests and will share all expenses to do with raising the litter. I get along very well with the other breeder and feel confident it will work for us. Of course records of all expenses and money from sale of pups etc will be strictly recorded. Alternatively you could agree on a sum you are entitled to and they pay for everything. If you keep a pup instead of money I would make sure the cost of the pup was worth the agreed money you would get or have them make up the difference.

Thanks for your replies as have never looked into this before and the request to use her wasn't expected but she is due in season soon so I need to make some decisions.

Just as long as it's not someone trying to get bloodlines "through the back door".....it happens...........so I would clear it with all concerned first..............I and there is no contract stipulating breeding restrictions on this bitch........have seen it end in court!!

I guess it also depends on the size of the litter. I have leased a bitch in the past and paid for her to be hip/elbow tested which is about 1/2 the price of a puppy. In my breed a normal litter is 3-5 and by the time you pay a stud fee and raise the litter there is no profit to share

I leased a bitch I bred, paid all the costs (stud fee, feeding puppy vaccs etc) kept two pups and gave the owner all the proceeds (not the 'profit') from the remaining puppy sales.

Every single situation will be different - she doesn't even need to leave your property if this is what you'd prefer - but whatever you do, get everything in writing - up to and including what happens if she dies.

It is usual for them to cover all costs and to offer you a puppy or the price of a puppy unless they strike bad luck and end up with one or two by caesar. If they get an average size litter for your breed, you should be entitled to the price of a puppy.

I have leased out bitches to friends on the same terms as dancinbcs. Just be sure that you fill in and lodge the form on the back of her registration certificate and get the dates correct so that you get your girl re registered into your name at the end of the lease. I expect the leasee to pay ALL the expenses + I get choice of puppy (if I want one) or the equivalent in cash.

I also make a strict rule for myself not to interfere!!