Puppy Crying

Olivebaby

I know it's really really difficult but you HAVE TO ignore the crying. It may literally go for 12 hours straight but you CANNOT react once you have her crated. At 11 weeks she IS old enough to manipulate so get the crate, get her tired, put her in at bedtime and IGNORE. I'm a shift worker too a d my dogs have learned thru consistency that if I'm sleeping you can do what you want but you'll get no attention from me. Best of luck!

ETA my bedtime cue is "beddies", it means I'm going to bed so you should too or get kicked out of the family areas and sleep on your own. Calm consistency is the key.

Yup! Invest in earplugs and a Kindle. Also, that's why I insist that his 'special' toys are just for the crate. Makes him feel like it's a treat to be in there. But in the beginning, he did complain, but lights off and I turned to stone. Because of chemotherapy, my sleep is rotten and I need to know that once I've settled down, I won't be awakened by anything less than Freddy Krueger. So once you've worked out her toileting schedule (and I'm bad, I used to push it later by 30 minutes each week), then once she's in, she is in for the night bar toileting.

Good luck, and post your progress.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our girl settled straight away in the crate in our bedroom, she'd previously screamed for hours when we tried to have it in the lounge area. My goal is to have her sleep in the lounge on her mat, but I think hubby likes her in our room :eek:

So after a 12 hour night shift I went straight to the pet supplies shop and bought a crate and am so relieved and happy to report she has been an angel in there today. We did about an hour on and off of getting Clover used to it. Then I brought her into my room, covered her up and let her be. She has whined twice for the toilet. Out on the lead then back in again. I haven't slept but that's not her fault. I'm over tired and over caffeinated but I'm hopeful that we will have a similar result tonight. So far so good. You have all been incredible. Will report back in the morning x :thumbsup:

So after a 12 hour night shift I went straight to the pet supplies shop and bought a crate and am so relieved and happy to report she has been an angel in there today. We did about an hour on and off of getting Clover used to it. Then I brought her into my room, covered her up and let her be. She has whined twice for the toilet. Out on the lead then back in again. I haven't slept but that's not her fault. I'm over tired and over caffeinated but I'm hopeful that we will have a similar result tonight. So far so good. You have all been incredible. Will report back in the morning x :thumbsup:

Wonderful! The thing I like about having pups in my room is that my routine is all over the place and they adapt really well. Once my dogs have had a wee in the morning they will go back to bed with me as long as I want them to. As long as they're getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation in between times of course!

so - she's slept in teh crate most of today? And she has to do it again tonight? She has has lots of training/walks & play sessions I hope :) It's a long time to be in a crate with nothing to do ....

Glad it worked ....

Oh don't worry. She had a few hours on and off of quiet time in there while I attempted to nap. She had her walk, plenty of training and fun with her big sister in the yard as well as quiet time and snuggles outside of the crate. I have been home with her since 8am so she hasn't missed out on a thing.

THE SUNDAY REPORT: I am drinking coffee at 6am instead of 4! SUCCESS

Clover (my angel pup) went to the toilet before bed. Slept right through until 4 when she made the most adorable little crying noises instead of that blood curdling scream. OH got up she did her poo and straight back to bed. 6am is the next time I heard that little whine so I'm on baby duty.

I am so relieved I want to cry. It was so simple. I feel like I'm going to have so much more energy to spend with her now and a lot more patience as well.

Thank you all. Bring on tonight :)