Diantomaceous Earth

sheena

After many years, we finally have a lawn , but now the ants are moving in & making a huge mess. Does anybody know of a pet safe treatment for ants in lawns....I was thinking of whether Diantomaceous Earth is any good :confused: It's a huge area.

Well, I swear by it.

DaddyVizsla puts lots down the ant holes outside. Within 72 hours, there is a reduced number of ants around.

We have also sprinkled the DE around the scrubbery as well.

You need to make sure that you do get the human type of DE.

Try to use this when there is low humidity and the soil is dry.

:)

Well, I swear by it.

DaddyVizsla puts lots down the ant holes outside. Within 72 hours, there is a reduced number of ants around.

We have also sprinkled the DE around the scrubbery as well.

You need to make sure that you do get the human type of DE.

Try to use this when there is low humidity and the soil is dry.

Where do you buy it from ???

Thanks...& how does your OH put it down the holes ???

You know those plastic measuring cups and plastic buckets? Anything like the images below.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/b7/MeasuringCups2.JPG/220px-MeasuringCups2.JPG

http://3.imimg.com/data3/EC/SI/MY-5977518/plastic-bucket-250x250.jpg

He fills a 10 litre plastic bucket ( or smaller) with the DE. Then he uses the largest of the cups to simply pour into holes.

He says there's no issues with spilling any DE.

I just don a pair of rubber gloves and sprinkle it around the nest :)

It's best to not get it in your eyes though, so wear goggles and face mask if it is windy or likely to blow around.

I just don a pair of rubber gloves and sprinkle it around the nest :)

It's best to not get it in your eyes though, so wear goggles and face mask if it is windy or likely to blow around.

ohMy! Best not let DaddyVizsla read this..... he is careful. But I can just see the task would fall to me.

:rofl:

Guest Wildthing

I just googled this and read a very interesting article that tells you all about it, what you can use it for and what studies have been done regarding toxcicity to humans and some animals. I would certainly be cautious when putting it down for ant control. Don't think I would spread it around all over the lawn! I know it can also be used for lice on chickens. Think I will get some for the ants I have now! Thank you for starting the thread.

I just googled this and read a very interesting article that tells you all about it, what you can use it for and what studies have been done regarding toxcicity to humans and some animals. I would certainly be cautious when putting it down for ant control. Don't think I would spread it around all over the lawn! I know it can also be used for lice on chickens. Think I will get some for the ants I have now! Thank you for starting the thread.

I couldn't find much on it....would you care to share the link you found???

Yes, it is imperative that it is FOOD GRADE ONLY. The pool grade DE is the toxic one, it is mixed with something else that makes it toxic to breathe. Apparently the food grade is safe and many people eat it themselves and give it to their pets/livestock to eat to control internal parasites.

I started the same way.

I found out that the human grade is essential to be used for any conditions where we are involved.

DaddyVizsla started using it over 30 years ago according to his calculations. He was working with a chap who was a greenkeeper. That chap tried to make sure to avoid chemicals where possible on his lawns & gardens.

Here's a couple of my sites. I may even have posted the one you read:

http://diatomaceousearthonline.com.au *** shop has a special at the moment.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/diatomaceous_human_use.html this site is the one my US friends use. Majority of them who live on both the West Coast & East Coast use DE. They too have removed danger chemicals where possible.

It's been effective with flea control for us as well. In another thread I mentioned this.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/255873-diatomaceous-earth-for-flea-control/

It is a matter of due care, and due attention if selected for usage.

I can not stress that much.

what is it?

Dictionary quote

a soft, crumbly, porous sedimentary deposit formed from the fossil remains of diatoms.

Here's a bit more info.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/degen.html

To handle it's whitish, crumbly powdery & a bit gritty.

No good to use on high humidity days or on wet soil or grass. Usual carful handling, including as Ranga said, watching that eyes are not harmed. I have had DE in my eyes. It was like a bucketful of gravel. However an eye wash & drops resolved my carelessness handling.

Edited by VizslaMomma

I'm going to have to get some of this stuff & try it. I wonder if my local produce stores might stock it. Someone earlier said that Petstock have it. I will do some ringing arouond.

May be better to try a smaller bag first in case you have problems.

Then you can go bigger.

I hope it does work for you, sheena. As I said we've used it in different places ( and countries) over the years.

We have enjoyed not needing the poisons of chemicals.

Just been outside & there are butterflies on the vines.