Book And Dvd Training Resources

J...

Hi everyone,

I've got the ok to start a resource library for books and DVDs for training for dog club, so I'm after some of your favourite resources and the best place to purchase them (potentially as a job lot to take advantage of OS postage if necessary).

I'm after resources for instructors and up-and-coming instructors, agility and competition obedience.

They have to be books or DVDs, online courses are out obviously. I have some good ideas as a start but would welcome any other ideas that people can add to the list :)

Thanks in advance,

Jess

Jess not sure where you are but is the club aware that Dogs Vic have their own library? I am one of the helpers and we have quite a selection of DVDs and books on all the various sports and on instructing so it maybe worth someone in the club coming for a looksee to see what we have and deciding what they might like for the club's library. :)

We usually do a bulk purchase from Clean run when they have free shipping. Dogwise is another we order from.

Edited by Natsu chan

Jess not sure where you are but is the club aware that Dogs Vic have their own library? I am one of the helpers and we have quite a selection of DVDs and books on all the various sports and on instructing so it maybe worth someone in the club coming for a looksee to see what we have and deciding what they might like for the club's library. :)

We usually do a bulk purchase from Clean run when they have free shipping. Dogwise is another we order from.

Yes the club is aware, but we are in rural Vic so access to the library isn't that easy :o I want to encourage learning especially for our instructors and up and coming instructors. Great tip though for those closer, and also as a way of getting a look at anything before we purchase. :D

Thanks, but I'm really after specifics of people's favourite books and DVDs because they found them most useful.

I haven't purchased a book or DVD for agility purposes for several years, as I do either online courses or wait for OS presenters. Obviously I have a decent agility DVD range mostly obtained from CR, but I thought there might be something I've missed along the way and I am keen to get suggestions on the general behaviour, instructing, pet dog side as well as competition obedience.

Susan Garrett's Crate Games (for self control and motivation) is lots of fun. I also second The Focussed Puppy book, very comprehensive.

I've enjoyed reading When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion. It's training help for breeds bred to have some independence and may not be as easy to train as other dogs, eg Terriers. Shaping is a big focus as they do well thinking for themselves.

Jess the library does do postal borrowing. So if the club wants to look at something before they purchase a copy for their own library that is an option.

The In focus DVDs are very popular, as are the Michael Ellis ones (can't seem to keep those in for more than a week!) For rally there is a CD rom done by one of the QLD dog clubs that is excellent.

Here is a list of some of my own favourites:

The Really Reliable Recall by Leslie Nelson D.V.D.

Train Your Dog like a Pro by Jean Donaldson The Book Comes With a DVD

The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson Book

Dog Training The Gentle Modern Method by David Weston Book

Ruff Love by Susan Garrett Book

Schutzhund, OBEDIENCE TRAINING IN DRIVE by Sheila Booth & Gottfreid Dildei D.V.D. OR Book (prefer DVD)

Agility anything by Susan Garrett Online courses i.e. the IMHO brilliant, RECALLERS online course &/or her D.V.D.'s on Agility

I order most of my books & videos from Dogwise Dog & Cat Books & Leerberg Videos & Say Yes websites