Underwater 2015

huga

Annie - love the bum in the air :D Does yours have a wider option? Because they look almost fish eye.

i am kinda hooked on the fish eye option - probably bit bit BLAAAAH but I kinda like it - in moderation of course :laugh:

Fisheye option is in the top menu option in Aperture mode - along with reflection and a few others.

It hasn't been warm enough really down here to get under the water, and with big dogs that only go in up to their knees I have no idea how to do it. I can't just lift one up like you can with your littlies!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea where the camera is as we are living between 2 houses at the moment and they are 6hrs apart (not sure where the harddrive with photos is either), but I do have video if that counts haha

This was a few days after buying the camera, trying to experiment with different settings etc. The dogs of course all thought it must be a toy!

Annie - love the bum in the air :D Does yours have a wider option? Because they look almost fish eye.

i am kinda hooked on the fish eye option - probably bit bit BLAAAAH but I kinda like it - in moderation of course :laugh:

Fisheye option is in the top menu option in Aperture mode - along with reflection and a few others.

It hasn't been warm enough really down here to get under the water, and with big dogs that only go in up to their knees I have no idea how to do it. I can't just lift one up like you can with your littlies!

Mine doesn't have it, must be because I have the older version.

:rofl: huga. Still worried I have the darn thing shut up properly so its waterproof. What focus setting do you guys use. I got a stack of photos and the focus wasn't great at all :cry:.

Focus is really hard! I'm experimenting with tracked focus, which is a bit better. It's so hard to see the screen with the sun glare and underwater it's next to impossible unless you have goggles on. Just spray and pray :D

No idea where the camera is as we are living between 2 houses at the moment and they are 6hrs apart (not sure where the harddrive with photos is either), but I do have video if that counts haha

This was a few days after buying the camera, trying to experiment with different settings etc. The dogs of course all thought it must be a toy!

Awesome :D

Digging for seaweed.

He looks like a giant here.

Fee Fi Fo Fum :D

I'm noticing nice lack of water droplets on lenses in this thread, any tips for young players? Could just be my crappy camera likes to trap water on the lens cover lol. I did consider using Rain-X or something.

so now we know why they are called 'point and shoot'

7am Mebs - sun glare - in water just over ankles, bend down, put camera in water and point up - then click = BIG FAIL :rofl:

haha_zps5ea2ecb1.jpg

I blame the moving rippling water

Anyway, lets try again

4_zps200aa56a.jpg

I prefer action shots anyway :thumbsup:

1_zps0fd11e3e.jpg

Annie I get heaps of that! It's really just a fluke getting it right. The other two are great. Nice light :)

thanks for the encouragement - I really need to be 'in' the water - I don't have any kiddies to take pics of and am guessing that going to busy beach and taking pics of other peoples kiddies will get me arrested

but it is lots of fun :)

I wish I lived a lot closer to you Huga -- I need pointers! :o I'm so totally camera noob and have no idea about how cameras work other than point and click. I also have the the same Olympus TG-2 -- I bought mine in Fiji last year because I wanted to take photos of the awesome fish and coral.

I also have access to a GoPro but their lack of screen confuses me even more than a camera!! I've yet to attach it to Zeus's collar -- I've been very tempted to do this and then take him to the off leash park he keeps running off at but I'm not sure I want to really see what happens when he crosses the highway. :eek:

What do you need help with, RSA?

It is essentially a point and shoot (with a little bit more manual control if you want it). I tend to use it in aperture priority mode. Like I said though, it's very hit and miss with focus - so I take a lot with a few keepers. If I shot a wedding like that I wouldn't have a job anymore :laugh:

I know nothing about Go Pros!

See I don't even know what aperture priority mode is (or aperture full stop!) :laugh:

I mostly use auto settings because I don't understand/know anything about any of the manual settings such as ISO, shutter speed, exposure settings etc. I've been thinking of taking a photography course just so I can even get myself a little bit of understanding. :laugh:

Mostly I just have fun using the 'magic' filter settings!

See I don't even know what aperture priority mode is (or aperture full stop!) :laugh:

I mostly use auto settings because I don't understand/know anything about any of the manual settings such as ISO, shutter speed, exposure settings etc. I've been thinking of taking a photography course just so I can even get myself a little bit of understanding. :laugh:

Mostly I just have fun using the 'magic' filter settings!

Auto is fine! Auto is great! Especially in a camera like this one.

I only use aperture priority because I am a damn control freak and I'm so used to having full manual control.

Do you have a DSLR? I've never done a course (but courses are good!), I just learnt because the ancient camera I learnt on didn't have an auto mode. Google can tell you pretty much everything anyway :)

Aperture really does two main things - determines how much light gets let into the camera and determines how much is in focus.

So something like f/2 is fantastic for letting lots of light in when it's dark, but you'll only get a little bit in focus.

Something like f/8 will get lots in focus (so good for groups of people or landscapes) but will let less light in, so you would struggle in a darker situation.

Shutter speed is easy - fast shutter when there's lots of light (so the image isn't too bright) and for fast moving objects like dogs doing zoomies (something like 1/1000th would be tops). Slower shutters for when it's darker and you need more light. Then of course, you have to find the balance between letting enough light in and not getting any blur. I hate dropping below something like 1/160th - even then you will get blur depending on the subject.

ISO is really about how much light you let in again. Super bright outside? ISO 200. Getting dark? ISO 1600. Want to shoot a group of people at sunset? Well, you'd need an aperture of around f5.6, which means less light coming in, so you'd compensate with a higher ISO (maybe 800 or 1600) and a relatively decent shutter speed (although if they're adults you'd expect them to stand still and do as they're told :p) - maybe 1/250th?

So all the settings have their own jobs, but they also interact with each other.

I tend to shoot the shelter animals at f2.5 because (a) the cattery is dark and (b) the backgrounds aren't the prettiest, so I like to compress (blur) them. I wouldn't do a family shoot at 2.5 though, there's too much room for error. Works with an individual, but not anymore than that as someone will be out of focus.

This is:

f2.5

1/160th

ISO 1600

My house it dark and so I needed to get as much light in as possible. Because they're all on the same focal plane, it isn't too bad.

16136310320_0e21997ff4_z.jpg

Exactly the same settings, but they're all over the place, so only Sid is in focus:

16321894491_f7b0579bd8_z.jpg

I hope that helps a little bit!