Plucking Hell .......

Pjrt

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Epiotic we run a mile from no way would we use that down our dogs ears & funnily enough the people with issues we ask do you use epiotic :rofl:

I agree. As soon as clients stop using that stuff, ears clear up. I'm lucky in that my local vet and I are on the same wave length and our opinions seem to bounce off each other, most of the time - Epiotic aside. Years ago I would bend over backwards trying to help clients with minor issues that they would otherwise see a vet. I don't anymore. Now I send the dogs off to a vet, ears, skin, anal glands etc. I don't do anal glands and I generally don't pluck ears, if it comes out easily I will do it a little but I don't do the hard core plucking if it's say a Schnauzer who has never been done before. They get sent to the vet. Same with problematic nails. Anything that may cause pain, bleeding, licking etc etc I will not touch. The vet can do it and the dog can hold it against them. :) Besides, most of the time if the complaint has gotten to that stage I get the poos and figure the owner can fork out to look after their dog and get it treated. If they don't provide medical care for the dog then I don't book it in again. I'm at the stage where I only want sunshine and lollipops in my business. Have whittled it down now to awesome clients only, most of them have switched to my preferred vet and we stay in contact with each other if a dog is needing vet care which might affect their groom. If a dog needs vet treatment they are whisked off to see the vet pronto. Works well for me. Happy days :)

I also will not use Epiotic, I use PAW ear cleaner, it's gentle and doesn't sting sore ears.

I also have got rid of most of the problematic clients, if they have ongoing issues and won't see a vet I tell them to find another groomer, I no longer have the tolerance to deal with excuses.

What do use instead of Epiotic? That would be helpful.

I don't put anything in ears. I check them each groom but have found if I don't use product and the clients sticks to that too then they stay clean themselves (once they break through the oily stage which usually happens once you stop using product). If they have a large ear leather and its a little dirty then I use Kleo Ear Cleaner (I don't put it in ear, I squirt on cotton ball and wipe), otherwise I carefully clean it when they are being bathed. It (Kleo) is a rebranded product of the old Leo cleaner which is great stuff and has not ever caused an issue. I don't like putting anything in ears unless it is a scripted vet product for a medical issue. I have also heard good things about the PAW product that RMS mentioned above.