Feeding 101 (or What Is Correct?)

kwirky

There is so much information available on what we should feed our pets (canned vs kibble vs raw vs.....) and so much of this information is contradictory.

Is there a definitive answer at all on what is the healthiest way to feed?

We have an 11 month old Golden Retriever male who had originally been fed on ProPlan however due to frequent tummy upsets whilst on this, we changed to a home-style minced meat, veg and pasta/rice which we were buying from a local pet food company. Murphy did really well on this until he simply went off it. We would give it to him and he simply would not eat it. Since then we have tried canned food (doesn't seem to like any brand or variety), raw animal grade meat (does not like at all), raw human-grade meat (loves it!!!), and kibble (would rather not eat it unless he is starving).

With all this experimentation, I am getting lost in what we should be feeding him. Have other members had experience where their dog went off something and what did they do?

Thanks

Vet check first - to make sure all is in working order.

Then.

offer one type of food only .. put meal down ..leave 10 minutes ,and collect bowl NO treats/other food until next mealtime . Repeat . It may take a couple of days.

If he likes human grade meat - then there's your answer :) feed a mix of soft bones/meat :) Once he is eating well.. experiment with some yoghurt /eggs/sardines /cheese....

Not sure what he was intolerant to in the proplan - but chicken frames are great food , also turkey necks and wings (whole), as are lamb necks (WHOLE) pig head halves, pig tails, oxtails, chicken feet , tripe, lamb flaps , beef brisket bones ... heart, kidney, small amount of liver , brains ....he doesn't need much, if any , pasta/rice..and only a little vegetable/fruit .

We have one fussy dog. When he first came we had to mix sardines in his kibble. He would eat the sardines and leave the kibble. Once we moved to earthborn (I think that's the name of it) he wolfed it down. It is a super premium so rather exxy though.

There is so much information available on what we should feed our pets (canned vs kibble vs raw vs.....) and so much of this information is contradictory.

Is there a definitive answer at all on what is the healthiest way to feed?

It is hard to design, and extremely expensive to conduct meaningful tests of what to feed a dog. For each diet you test, you'd need to have a dozen or more (preferably ~30) dogs from several breeds, selected so as to represent a variety of bloodlines within the breed. You'd need to keep dogs on the same food from youth through old age and monitor many aspects of health throughout the lifetime. They would all have to be kept in similar conditions to avoid differences in environment, which pretty much means they need to be kenneled.

The only study I know of that begins to satisfy these requirements was done with Labradors only . . . it looked at the effects of feeding more vs. feeding 25% less of a standard commercial diet. This conclusively showed that the dogs who were fed less lived longer and had fewer health problems.

Effects of diet restriction on life span and age-related changes in dogs

https://www.avma.org/News/Journals/Collections/Documents/javma_220_9_1315.pdf

"Dogs were paired, and 1 dog in each pair was fed 25% less food than its pair-mate from 8 weeks of age until death. Serum biochemical analyses

were performed, body condition was scored, and body composition was measured annually until 12

years of age. Age at onset of chronic disease and median (age when 50% of the dogs were deceased)

and maximum (age when 90% of the dogs were deceased) life spans were evaluated."

LOTS of people and companies are putting forward strong opinions (or sales pitches) about what is healthy. These are often contradictory, and the scientific basis behind most is weak. As I read it, canned food is to be avoided on economic grounds: it's an expensive way to buy water. It may also cause tooth decay or gum rot. I don't see any evidence based results in the raw vs. dry or grain included vs. grain free. Some dogs do have allergies, and this may call for avoidance of some foods.

In my experience ProPlan is a good food. If your dog is not getting very skinny when he goes "off' his food, he may just be telling you you're feeding him too much.

Hello,

We have been feeding Murphy on essentially only raw meat for the past week or so and he seems to be doing well. He is eating every night and is excited about eating it, so we are very happy.

We have tried many different kibble brands, none have become regular as he stops eating them after a few days. At the moment we have BlackHawk but he is just not eating it.

I am concerned that he will not be getting enough vitamins and minerals. Does anyone give supplements of any kind to a raw diet?

post-36628-0-83182200-1422410036_thumb.jpg

Vet check first - to make sure all is in working order.

Then.

offer one type of food only .. put meal down ..leave 10 minutes ,and collect bowl NO treats/other food until next mealtime . Repeat . It may take a couple of days.

Agree with the above. The first thing is a vet check. Next just do not give the dog a choice. The dog is being fussy, because he has learnt that he can manipulate and control you. The dog does not buy the food or put it in the bowl, you do. Dogs can go for a week without food without issues. It is your obsession with his need to eat that is the problem. Humans can go on hunger strikes for a month or more before anyone becomes worried, as long as they are taking in water.

No healthy dog is going to refuse for too long. But you need to be strict. YOU CHOOSE the food. Set two times a day for meals, morning and night. Dish up the food, put it in a bowl and put the bowl in a room out of sight, say a laundry and put the dog in their with the food. DO NOT watch the dog eat. Leave the room. Set a timer. 10 minutes later, walk in, take the bowl and ignore the dog. Throw out any un eaten food. Do the same thing at he next meal time and keep doing it. Do not worry about what the dog is eating, or make sure any worry is done when the dog cannot see you. Trust me within a few days the dog will be eating.

Eating meat alone is not healthy for a dog and will cause long term health issues. A bit like a person eating nothing but ice cream or chocolate, yet I know of plenty of children who try to avoid eating anything but it. It is not about force, no one should be forced to eat anything, BUT if you simply do not allow them to eat anything else, and do not get into an argument with them, they will do what is needed, for the simple fact they are hungry. This dog has worked out very well that if I don't eat I get what I want, as simple as that. Smart dog, but your the human and truly are smarter than the dog.

Edited by Brookestar