Won't Come For Walks?

donski

When I stand at the door with collar and lead in hand and call 'walkies' , my 6yo mini bull will go and crawl into his crate. I'm at a loss as to what is the go with this.

Background: he's healthy, had recent check up and bloods tested. His energy levels and behaviours otherwise are all normal. He does mad spak attacks round the house. Nothing traumatic has happened on our walks. When he meets other dogs he is friendly and relaxed. We walk in the cool of the morning, so it's not too hot. The March flies were bad, but they're gone now. This has been going on for the last month. Previously he loved his walks. 2 years ago he went through this as well, but then started coming out again.

Can anyone offer any clues? Anyone else's dogs not like going out on walks?

Mini bull? Just a thought ... does that mean your doggie has a short squashed muzzle? If so, dogs with that kind of anatomy can have more trouble panting out body heat generated by activity. It's not just the temperature that raises body heat....it's activity, too. So walkies can be uncomfortable for some dogs.

I had a Tibbie who point-blank refused 'walkies' on a lead. The lead was not the trouble, she'd been a champion show dog. Going out, was not the trouble, she loved meeting people & other dogs. But prolonged walking, as in 'walkies'....no way. Her breed has the shorter, slightly pugged muzzle.

Not saying this IS the case with your dog. But, just a thought ...

My dog only likes to go for a walk if it is somewhere interesting aka new and/or lots of smells. If I take him down the street we live on he is not keen. Maybe your dog needs to rediscover his love of walks? You could try driving him somewhere and then walking?

Ha, he's a bull terrier, the ones with the big, fat Roman noses, so,if anything he's got extra breathing room!

You may be onto something with the feet. He doesn't like our pebble driveway, he gingerly tiptoes across that. I'll try evenings in case he just wants a sleep in.

2 years ago we still lived where we do now, and it lasted for about 4 months, then he came good.

Not prickles as such, but the bushland we walk through is definitely hard and dry. He has some booties already so I might bring them out of hiding and see he goes in those. Thanks for the assistance everyone

Mita, a mini bull is a miniature bull terrier. :)

Oh, Kirty, I just realized that my abbreviating 'bull terrier' to only 'bull', does look like I was talking about an actual bull! :)

I was actually thinking of a staffordshire bull terrier that doesn't exactly have a long muzzle. The staffy next door used to be quite a snorter & snorer with her muzzle.

Wondering about this - the running into his crate does sound as if there is some sort of nasty memory /expectation .

have you tried the following ?

doing a different routine when it's walk time?

using a different leash/collar , which jingles differently ?

gone thru another door?

have a car parked just outside- and go straight into the car?

start putting leash on during/just before meals - don't do anything ..just clip it on , so that at least has a good connotation again for him :)

walk the are without your dog .

feel the ground, listen for odd noises, look for things , sniff the air low down ... if you can, stop & sit ..and listen/feel...

have you driven him somewhere different and walked him?

if you are walking alongside roads ..be aware that a faceful of exhaust fumes is one of the best deterrents there is :( Dogs are, unfortunately at the right level - and when someone is reversing out a driveway, or you are , for some reason, walking with the traffic flow , instead of against it - there is a risk of noise/fumes/burning .

His feet would need to be very soft to worry about hard ground - it's hot manhole covers and soft black asphalt which are the dangers.

have you had heavy rain? I have seen dogs spooked' after walking over drains/pipes thru which water rushes - they hear it underneath, and it can be very unsettling.