Keeshond Or Spitz Rescue?

Is there Keeshond or Spitz rescue around the ACT area? (or do any rescue groups in Sydney recognise this dog?

A colleague has a "Keeshond" (looks more like a (large?) German spitz to me). She obtained the dog from someone who claimed to have gotten him from rescue, but she was not provided with any more information than this. It is not working out :-/ - the dog wont enter the house, and wont let them touch him on the body. He sounds biddable, and is OK with smaller dogs. He sleeps outside (as he wont come inside) and has started barking at times during the night. I suspect he needs a more experienced home, or someone familiar with Spitz.

I have suggested that my colleague surrender him to a suitable rescue group to find a home that suits him, and said I would see if I could locate a group to take him.

No owner-flaming please :-). This family was trying to do the right thing by getting a 'rescue' dog (and no, he wasn't a rescue at the time, he was an owner-rehome, but they did not realise the difference)

Gail

post-6387-0-34377600-1421721593_thumb.jpg

post-6387-0-94734100-1421721601_thumb.jpg

Gosh what a beautiful dog. The owners have been led astray by whoever gave him to them. :mad

Keetamouse is Canberra. And what about DAS?

There is a pinned thread at the top of rescue which might give you a few leads - don't know how up to date it is though.

That dog is so beautiful and, yes, I think German Spitz. I rescued and rehomed one many years ago. Boy was it touch and go that he stayed with me LOL.

That's very sad. I've had quite a few foster dogs who wouldn't come into the house - they'd been severely punished for attempting it I'd say. It took patience and time and eventually they learned they would not be in trouble for coming in.

How long have they had this dog? Couldn't they get a behaviouralist or experienced rescue person to help them? I'd love to help but am in Sydney so it's too far away, they'd be best getting someone to go there.

If he won't let them touch him on his sides, it all makes me think of abuse.

If he's good in other ways, it would be great if they could give him more of a chance?

• 1 month later...