Lulu Slipping Collar

Aleksandra 157

Lulu is a very small 6yr old Japanese Spitz .She has always loved lead walks ,however every now and again will slip her collar .I have it as tight as is safe ,but shakes her head and off it comes! She did it recently on a busy intersection and fortunately I was able to pick her up or could have had disaster .I am reluctant to use a slip lead ,as the breed is susceptible to larynx problems ,and she shows some early signs of this occasionally .Quacks like a duck when she runs fast. I have used a harness but she can shake that off as well.Now I have Ollie as well I'm reluctant to walk them together.Any suggestions would be so helpful ,thanks . No 3 a 10 week Keeshond arrives on Friday....Really think she will be the last....long story. :)

Had to edit my post as I was suggesting a limited slip collar but if they are prone to larynx probs I would maybe looking at a light harness. You may need a Webmaster one as they practically escape proof.

Edited by BC Crazy

Harness Houdini Jake hasn't managed to get out the ruff wear webmaster.

X two here. the Ruff Wear Webmaster has an additional strap that goes behind the rib cage,...it's the only thing my guy cannot slip out of :)

I use a martingale collar on my JS. It has a collar you can adjust to the exact size of the neck behind the ears so it can't slip off when tightened but is not tight when the lead is slack. So it tightens like a slip collar but can only tighten to a certain point, that can be the exact size of the neck if you do not need to use it as a check collar. I often use it with an 8 metre flexi lead to give him exercise in areas where it isn't quite safe enough to let him off lead. I use it with a normal 2 metre webbing lead with it anywhere around traffic. I am interested to hear who told you the breed has larynx problems. I know numerous JS breeders and it is certainly not something that anyone has ever mentioned as being a breed problem.

This is an example of a martingale collar. I like them too because they do not have any plastic snap closures that I don't trust.

Thank you for all the help ,I have ordered collar and harness online.Dancinbcs ,I should have said collapsing trachea .It is congenital and all toy dogs are prone to it ,especially Yorkies .My older JS didn't have it but Lulu got " the honking" cough at about a year.Apart from that Lulu is very healthy.I have heard of other JS over here with it.I can't find the excellent link I read about it but Web MD have an SPCA article on it under collapsing trachea.Hope this helps ,I'm sure the Martingale collar will be great. :)

Thank you for all the help ,I have ordered collar and harness online.Dancinbcs ,I should have said collapsing trachea .It is congenital and all toy dogs are prone to it ,especially Yorkies .My older JS didn't have it but Lulu got " the honking" cough at about a year.Apart from that Lulu is very healthy.I have heard of other JS over here with it.I can't find the excellent link I read about it but Web MD have an SPCA article on it under collapsing trachea.Hope this helps ,I'm sure the Martingale collar will be great. :)

I haven't heard of collapsing trachea being an issue in the breed either. I would be very interested if you can find any links to the condition in the breed for me and if you could pm me the breeding of any affected dogs I would very much appreciate it. JS are most definitely not a toy breed. They are a small breed but considerably bigger than most toys.