Teaching A Collection Command

As stated, I am looking for pointers for dvd's, videos, webpages etc etc for pointers on teaching a dog a collection command.

I have never needed one on a dog before and now I need it for Lewis but more so for Wilson. They get their whippet on and lengthen out when doing agility. It is great to have the speed but they sometimes overshoot jumps etc as they do hugely long jumps or huge strides when they need to be shortening up.

Edited by OSoSwift

Definitely understand where you're coming from with a lanky Dally and Springer who loves jumping LONG. With the H360 system it's about doing a lot of cone work or with a wing - very close in and teaching verbals so JUMP means in full extension whereas Check Check means take the face of the jump and wrap tight, Tis Tis means turn, Na Na is back of the jump and tight turn etc. Like anything else you reward 50% or better - I realised Em was turning wide...but guess what I'd been rewarding!!!!

Darn. I'm not sure what to suggest without confusing you!!! Seriously H360 has changed agility for us and was one of the main drivers behind Zig's Ag Ch.

This is one of my instructor's videos - look at how tight her fast dogs can wrap. But everything starts super close, low jumps and steady. Slowly add the crazy.

I think current registrations are closed:

http://handling360.com

But you can register to be notified when the next one opens. If I were remote and didn't have access to my awesome trainers I would do this in a heartbeat. But it's quite a commitment and not for everyone either. SG's online courses are great - I just finished Recallers 5.0.

Oso I'm not sure exactly as I haven't done H360 online. But I genuinely do about 5 min a day per dog if I'm lucky. On top of that I do retrieving with Em, shaping, core stability and general fitness so not a lot of time for agility. I was SO NOT going to switch handling systems with Zig but soon realised how beneficial it was for the dogs. And yes it was bloody hard learning all the verbals but my handling is all about timeliness now rather than timing. So when the dog has committed to an obstacle I can call the verbal cue that not only indicates the next obstacle but the direction to take after that. And we are all enjoying ourselves so much more.

I think DOLer Jess is doing it online - maybe shoot her a PM.

OK I have some ideas for you that might help!

H360 would of course be brilliant, but I think registration has closed. SG did have an ebook on tight turns that we could download for expressing interest in H360 - but not sure if that is still available.

Sylvia Trkman has a DVD on teaching turns, available on Clean Run, also using going around poles etc

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=3170&ParentCat=103

From what I understand it is very similar to H360 and the other one I am going to suggest Shape Up Agility. I did the Shape Up Agility seminar last year and it was brilliant! Lots of information on tight turns. They also have online classes which you can audit or get a working spot. While the lessons have started, I think you can still purchase auditing spots

http://shapeupagility.com/online-lessons

Also Stacy Richards in Sydney is now running online classes as well, which cover tight turns

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cutedogs-Coaching/1389063491396614?pnref=story

Edited by Kavik

definitely recommend the Silvia trkman dvds. Cik and Cap are her collection cues so that DVD is all about collection, or the foundation also covers a reasonable amount with ideas for teaching other handling (serps etc). We have both and also did her online foundation class with the youngest 2. It was definitely worth it, she gives great feedback and really quick too.

Excellent thank you, I will go and check them out.

They are pretty good with turns etc until they get a bit excited so more work will definitely help

Yep - we were doing this the other day with Em. Adding speed as she flew out of the tunnel. First jump straight in front (nailed it), next take a right angle turn (big fail the first time - sailed over the jump in front of her :laugh:) then take a 180 turn as she came out. There were lots of cries of "Abort! Abort! Abort!" happening with all the handlers as they tried not to be taken out at speed :rofl:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

The comment from his last round, where he hit the turbo charge button and I was calling out, over, shit!!! - to which the judge cracked up laughing - was geez he is quick!

Even with missing two jumps adn having to come back he came in waaayyyy under time

As stated, I am looking for pointers for dvd's, videos, webpages etc etc for pointers on teaching a dog a collection command.

I have never needed one on a dog before and now I need it for Lewis but more so for Wilson. They get their whippet on and lengthen out when doing agility. It is great to have the speed but they sometimes overshoot jumps etc as they do hugely long jumps or huge strides when they need to be shortening up.

Susan Salo's 'Foundation Jumping' and 'Advanced Jumping' DVD sets are very good. They teach dogs to read distances and to lengthen and shorten stride as needed. She runs workshops at Susan Garrett's place.

Susan Salo's 'Foundation Jumping' and 'Advanced Jumping' DVD sets are very good. They teach dogs to read distances and to lengthen and shorten stride as needed. She runs workshops at Susan Garrett's place.

Thank you, I have some of her stuff so will look those up. Much appreciated