Ruffwear Swamp Cooler?

aussielover

Hi Just wondering if any one has used the Ruffwear Swamp cooler vest? http://waggle.com.au/ruffwear-b1/swamp-cooler-p345

Main use would be to keep the dog cool in between runs at agility trials and training etc. I have heard the clean run chillybuddy is good I'd prefer to have it sooner rather than later. Also i am getting a similar one to the chillybuddy made for my dog but thought it would be good to have 2 types.

I've tried the cool champions coat and it was also very effective for trials but this one looks a bit more versatile as it looks fairly light weight. Does anyone actually use these cooling coats whilst the dog is exercising- not thinking of agility but perhaps when going out for a jog or bike ride or long walk?

I like the chillybuddy for between agility runs or at seminars.

I don't use the coats when doing regular exercise - would rather swim the dogs or get them out and about much earlier or later in the day. I more consider the Cool Coats as giving my dogs that extra 10%.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Yes, we have used it in the past, it's fine, it's really for 'core' cooling. I don't find any better or worse than any others out there and we have tried many. I do like the chest piece.

Edited by sas

I have one of these and a chillybuddy- however i find this one dries out MUCH faster.

So not really suited to bushwalks etc. It says it lasts a few hours and i would disagree.

Between agility runs it works very well :)

I have to carry a waterbottle to re-wet it on longer outings.

Hey all,

I'm as well interested in one of those cooling coats.

I own a Bernese Mountain Dog with a fairly dense black coat, normally I simply walk here into the river where I walk along, but the water is nowadays lukewarm, hence zero cooling effect.

However, are the cooling coats generally usable for all 'hair-types' or some better for long resp. short coat??

Thanks for your feedback.

Birgit

I have 2 BC's obviously double coated but both are pretty heavily coated especially my male. They both have Silver Eagle Cool Champion cool coats. I am really happy with them. After soaking them for around 20 mins on a really hot day they give them 4 to 5 hours relief usually.

So yes to answer your question I think they suit any breed of dog ☺

BC Crazy - funny you know but I've met a few owners of longer coated dogs (BCs and Aussies) who really like the Silver Eagle whereas I don't like them so much for my short coated breeds. Very interesting!

That is weird isn't it. Go figure...

I guess there could be a number of factors at play including dog size to surface area ratio and humid vs dry heat. Probably the other thing I like about the chillybuddy is that it is effective when it's dry and in direct sunlight. Nice for the mornings when it's not quite warm enough to wet the dog but you are standing ringside with no shade.

I guess there could be a number of factors at play including dog size to surface area ratio and humid vs dry heat. Probably the other thing I like about the chillybuddy is that it is effective when it's dry and in direct sunlight. Nice for the mornings when it's not quite warm enough to wet the dog but you are standing ringside with no shade.

Do you have the casual cut or the sport cut?

I actually found the cool champion more effective but it'sucj heavier and messier.

Where as the chilly buddy can also be used without water to provide some relief (especially for black dogs)

I'm interested in the k9pro cool tech one but wonder whether the ice blocks would last all day at a trial. I don't usually take an esky so wouldn't be able to store them