Vic Gov't To Investigate Ldh

Animal House

A good post MW. Some people who have fallen on hard times (unemployment, divorce) have to choose between saving their dogs or feeding their kids. A helping hand from the more fortunate is what is needed. I wonder sometimes if instead of donating to help a pound dog into rescue, it would be better to help the dog return to its own home. I think governments should be offering cheap desexing programs for the financially disadvantaged.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good post MW. Some people who have fallen on hard times (unemployment, divorce) have to choose between saving their dogs or feeding their kids. A helping hand from the more fortunate is what is needed. I wonder sometimes if instead of donating to help a pound dog into rescue, it would be better to help the dog return to its own home. I think governments should be offering cheap desexing programs for the financially disadvantaged.

We wondered the same thing so we did some research and saw how well it worked in the States so decided to bring similar programs here to Oz :) It's super rewarding and eye opening to see just how much love so many people have for their pets, and how badly they want to do the right thing by them. Unfortunately a lot of these same people have been judged or called irresponsible or worse by others in the animal welfare world and are sometimes cautious in asking for help for that reason.

Edited by melzawelza

Mel & sars, on the issue of people genuinely not being able to afford pound release fees.

There was a tragic case in Qld years ago. A family's dog had got out & been impounded and there was no way they could afford the release fee. One night , a young boy (about 12) in the family sneaked out of the house armed with wire cutters, determined to break in and save his dog. He didn't get far... cut into an electric wire & was killed. It was a terrible tragedy. As soon as the news broke, some anonymous person paid the release fee so the boy wouldn't have died in vain. His dog was returned to the family.

BTW The Lost Dogs' Home won the contract for the two Brisbane pounds a year or so ago. They lasted just one year when the contract was not renewed by the Brisbane City Council. Who then awarded it to the highly respected AWL Qld.

Edited by mita

Mita, that story is heartbreaking. When a family is in trouble the pets can become so important especially for the children. When I was twelve I would have done the same thing to save my dog.

Mel, if you know of any pounds that have a responsible scheme to help families in financial trouble get their dogs released, I would be interested in making a regular contribution. I do now contribute to rescues when I see a young dog in trouble, but I am never really sure where that money goes to.

The outcome will be interesting. It is much more profitable for a shelter which is working for councils, to euth than to rehome. They are paid for each one, and with euth, the costs are much less than to rehome = more profit. Appalling ethos, appalling culture, upheld by management.

Sickening, and has been for a long time. People have been trying to instigate change for ............. how long? Years

And another very interesting outcome will be what they have actually done with the millions of dollars they rake in as a charity - wasn't it supposed to be about helping the animals?? That's why they were asking for the money, to help them help the animals.

The day I went there, the state of the different cages/runs the dogs were kept in was utterly appalling, especially for a state that gets so cold in winter. It was freezing, the dogs were utterly miserable, some had little natural light either, there was little comfort.

I think comfort's very important and plenty of food, if an animal is in its last few days of life, surely it deserves some comfort if not love?

The staff were VERY unhelpful (they didn't know who I was). There was over 100 dogs there and yet only 1 dog available for adoption. I tried to put my name on a dog. I have tried since then to adopt a dog from there - impossible. Staff were evasive and did their best to put me off (it was a young and seemingly healthy and normal dog - not if you listened to them).

There wasn't one staff member out and about in the facility, which is pretty large, in the 2 hours I spent there - strange.

I met a lady who was leaving them her house in her will ... she would not be the only one I'm sure - I told her what I knew and she was going to change it.

Picking up from Keetamouse's comments, I was a foster carer in those days when LDH allowed Rescued With Love in to help the 'didn't pass assessment babies'.

It was suggested that I introduce myself to Sue Conroy, the Shelter Manager in the nicest possible way, to start to build a working relationship between LDH and Rescue. I stood in the doorway of her office and she shut the door in my face. Actually, no she got one of her staff to shut the door, so she didn't have to get up from her desk.

She needed to go 15 years ago....

To add a different perspective... About 5 months ago Sue Conroy contacted me. I run Iggy rescue and she had an IG in the shelter she wanted us to take. She had all the vetwork done and sold him to us for around $300. He did come with kennel cough but that's hardly different than any other poumd or shelter. Toby was 8 years old and overweifht, he wasn't the cutest dog I've ever seen he was nothing super special. However Sue went out of her way to ensure he was safe. She was helpful and polite to me at all times. This is the only contact I've ever had with LDH.

I am not trying to suggest that things at LDH don't need to change, certainly the euth rates are scary. I've also read lots of stories recently about things that have occurred there and they really concern me. However I have to say (based on my experience) some LDH dogs ARE going to rescue. Sue contacted me, I didn't know the dog was there. I'm sure this isn't the only time they have worked with rescue in recent times. It may be only a select few that get to rescue, but some do. Toby did.

Edited by indigirl

Mel & sars, on the issue of people genuinely not being able to afford pound release fees. There was a tragic case in Qld years ago. A family's dog had got out & been impounded and there was no way they could afford the release fee. One night , a young boy (about 12) in the family sneaked out of the house armed with wire cutters, determined to break in and save his dog. He didn't get far... cut into an electric wire & was killed. It was a terrible tragedy. As soon as the news broke, some anonymous person paid the release fee so the boy wouldn't have died in vain. His dog was returned to the family.BTW The Lost Dogs' Home won the contract for the two Brisbane pounds a year or so ago. They lasted just one year when the contract was not renewed by the Brisbane City Council. Who then awarded it to the highly respected AWL Qld.

That is heartbreaking. I can only imagine how this family felt. I'm so glad the fees were paid so the family didn't lose their dog as well.

Mel, if you know of any pounds that have a responsible scheme to help families in financial trouble get their dogs released, I would be interested in making a regular contribution. I do now contribute to rescues when I see a young dog in trouble, but I am never really sure where that money goes to.

Sars, I'm not aware of any Sydney/NSW pounds running any kind of organised pet retention/pound prevention program, although I do know that both Sydney Dogs and Cats Home and Sutherland Shire animal shelter have reduced fees to allow people to be able to reclaim their pets in individual cases

As far as I know we (Team Dog) are the only group in Australia running a dedicated pound prevention program. I hope more start up in other states, as the results in the USA are showing how important this sort of work is to keep pets out of shelters and increase live release rates.

The outcome will be interesting. It is much more profitable for a shelter which is working for councils, to euth than to rehome. They are paid for each one, and with euth, the costs are much less than to rehome = more profit. Appalling ethos, appalling culture, upheld by management.Sickening, and has been for a long time. People have been trying to instigate change for ............. how long? Years
And another very interesting outcome will be what they have actually done with the millions of dollars they rake in as a charity - wasn't it supposed to be about helping the animals??

That's the most sickening part about them - the insane amounts of money they have from genuine animal lovers that would be beside themselves to know how their money is (not) being spent on the animals.

Edited by melzawelza

That's the most sickening part about them - the insane amounts of money they have from genuine animal lovers that would be beside themselves to know how their money is (not) being spent on the animals.

I imagine Sue Conroy and Graeme Smith drive around in top of the range late model whatevers and have exquisitely turned out offices, while they begrudge the dogs a bit of comfort.

Beyond comprehension really.

Picking up from Keetamouse's comments, I was a foster carer in those days when LDH allowed Rescued With Love in to help the 'didn't pass assessment babies'.

It was suggested that I introduce myself to Sue Conroy, the Shelter Manager in the nicest possible way, to start to build a working relationship between LDH and Rescue. I stood in the doorway of her office and she shut the door in my face. Actually, no she got one of her staff to shut the door, so she didn't have to get up from her desk.

It was Kae Norman who got these babies out of LDH and drove them to the airport so they could come to Canberra, she is an amazing woman and she has been fighting the bureaucrats for 10 years trying to get them to do something about the LDH it would be a victory for all to see something finally get done about that place.

Maree

CPR

Are you saying she sold you a dog for $300???

Yes but the dog was desexed, vaccinated, chipped etc so I thought it was a fair price.

I have to confess that I find it strange that one rescue group (usually a larger, wealthier group) charges another rescue group (usually a smaller, poorer one) to rehome a dog for it. I'm sure it happens but it just doesn't seem right, especially when one of those rescue groups is contracted and funded to undertake the work in the first place. Sort of double dipping.

For the sake of any homeless dogs I hope the truth is uncovered and any necessary changes are made. And just because a dog is going to be pts it is not acceptable for any animal welfare organisation to treat them inhumanely during the time they are in their care. May anyone found guilty of doing this rot in the pits of their own personal version of hell for eternity.

For the sake of any homeless dogs I hope the truth is uncovered and any necessary changes are made. And just because a dog is going to be pts it is not acceptable for any animal welfare organisation to treat them inhumanely during the time they are in their care. May anyone found guilty of doing this rot in the pits of their own personal version of hell for eternity.

This sickens me. Only truely revolting disturbed people would not give an animal basic comforts regardless of their ability of being rehomed or not. The fast that epopel who are supposed to care about animals can treat vunerable dogs and cats in their care inhumanely is beyond comprehension.

And I agree, I hope they suffer terribly forever more for what they have done.

It was Kae Norman who got these babies out of LDH and drove them to the airport so they could come to Canberra, she is an amazing woman and she has been fighting the bureaucrats for 10 years trying to get them to do something about the LDH it would be a victory for all to see something finally get done about that place.

Maree

CPR

Here here Maree, I don't know Kae personally but have been following her work for many years. What a fabulous women with a fantastic attitude. She never wants to get into judging the previous owners of the dogs that come into her care. With her its just all about the dogs and getting on with making their lives better. She is totally dedicated. Wish I could meet her IRL.

If even a few of the stories that have come out about LDH are true (and I have no doubt the majority of them are) then the management and board need to go.

While I agree that there needs to be some in depth examination of the reasons why dogs end up in pounds and are not reclaimed it's not an either or. LDH can be investigated. Overall, pounds can be put on the spot for not being no (low) kill. And an examination about bad owners, dogs ending up in pounds, and education can happen. Not either or.

Edited by Sheridan

If even a few of the stories that have come out about LDH are true (and I have no doubt the majority of them are) then the management and board need to go.

This is the whole point. Every time LDH comes up and it has many time, people come out and say how do we know these things happened, etc etc etc. As you say, every if a few of these stories are true, there is something radically wrong. And we now have incontrovertible proof, that the horrible cruelty that goes on in that dreadful place are facts and not just the ramblings of a few disaffected staff which Graeme Smith, Tribe and others have said over the years.

While I agree that there needs to be some in depth examination of the reasons why dogs end up in pounds and are not reclaimed it's not an either or. LDH can be investigated. Overall, pounds can be put on the spot for not being no (low) kill. And an examination about bad owners, dogs ending up in pounds, and education can happen. Not either or.

Exactly. And again, over the years, people have sought to defuse any discussion about LDH by sheeting the blame home to incompetent and uncaring and stupid owners. You can have a place like Fort Knox and think you have all bases covered and a determine or very frightened dog can still get out.

This issue here is the investigation of LDH which is about 20 years (if not more) overdue.

Edited by Dame Danny's Darling

Toby was 8 years old and overweifht, he wasn't the cutest dog I've ever seen he was nothing super special. However Sue went out of her way to ensure he was safe. She was helpful and polite to me at all times. This is the only contact I've ever had with LDH.

Sue contacted me, I didn't know the dog was there.

That's good to hear.