Domestic Animals Act (victoria)

Airedaler

Hi All,

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the Act that states that animals owned by an "approved authority" - i.e. Dogs Vic are eligible for reduced registration costs. I had this information last year but for the life of me I cannot remember where I found it. Of course I did not bookmark it anywhere.

Try this link for a start Airdaler:

http://www.depi.vic....anagement-plans

Thanks TSD that I what I was looking for. I've bookmarked it now for future reference.

Excellent! I know how to find that stuff in my sleep because they keep changing the department name and the website!

You're right, TSD, about Govt. Departments changing names. I worked for the Dept. of Education (or whatever it is now) in just under 20 years there were no less than 7 name changes. Is there any bigger waste of $'s?

You're right, TSD, about Govt. Departments changing names. I worked for the Dept. of Education (or whatever it is now) in just under 20 years there were no less than 7 name changes. Is there any bigger waste of $'s?

Change of the colour of street signs by different Councils rates high for me.

:rofl:

You're right, TSD, about Govt. Departments changing names. I worked for the Dept. of Education (or whatever it is now) in just under 20 years there were no less than 7 name changes. Is there any bigger waste of s?

Change of the colour of street signs by different Councils rates high for me.

:rofl:

:thumbsup: But at least that doesn't involve throwing out reams of stationary and other printed material.

Most councils will have a list of the approved authorities on their websites if you look at their domestic animal registration requirements. :)

ETA _ I call them the "Department of Constant Name Changes" and EVERYBODY knows instantly who I mean!!

Edited by RuralPug

Most councils will have a list of the approved authorities on their websites if you look at their domestic animal registration requirements. :)

ETA _ I call them the "Department of Constant Name Changes" and EVERYBODY knows instantly who I mean!!

This is the issue, many Councils, it seems are not giving the reduced fee to ratepayers and simply saying they don't do it. As I read the act there is no option for Councils to refuse.

I know one of the councillors for Manningham and she argued black and blue with me that it was up to the individual Council and "she knew the rules".... Amazingly she could not get to the Council quick enough to demand her reduced rate when the Act was produced. I do wonder if that Council have since advised the ratepayers or not!

My understanding is that there is only one reduction in the fee and one of those is when you have your dog chipped. As most of us do, it doesn't seem to matter that we may have other 'credits' as we've already taken advantage of the discount offered. I'll go check though.

ETA : Nope, I'm wrong. I think it used to be the case but chipping has been removed from being a reason to discount - probably because it is now law where earlier, in its introduction, it wasn't.

Edited by Erny

My understanding is that there is only one reduction in the fee and one of those is when you have your dog chipped. As most of us do, it doesn't seem to matter that we may have other 'credits' as we've already taken advantage of the discount offered. I'll go check though.

ETA : Nope, I'm wrong. I think it used to be the case but chipping has been removed from being a reason to discount - probably because it is now law where earlier, in its introduction, it wasn't.

The following is taken from

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/pets/registration-legislation-and-permits/dog-and-cat-registration/dog-and-cat-registration-fees

Dog and cat registration fees

Note: registration fees vary by municipality - contact your local council to confirm pet registration fees for your area.

A new fee schedule for pet registration (under the Domestic Animals Act 1994) was introduced on 11 April 2013:

• Members of the community with unregistered dogs and cats can no longer attract a reduced registration fee for microchipping alone;
  • This change does not affect pets registered prior to 11 April 2013.

Why has the reduced fee for microchipped animal registration been removed?

Microchipping has been compulsory for new registrations for over five years, it is now time to focus on the up-take of other forms of responsible pet ownership.

Owners of desexed cats or dogs already qualify for a reduced registration fee. Since the introduction of mandatory microchipping for new registrations, there has been a reduction in desexing.

How can new pet registrations qualify for the reduced fee?

An owner registering a dog or cat for the first time with their council will not be entitled to the reduced fee for microchipping their pet.

However, there are other criteria for receiving a reduced fee on new registrations. If your animal meets one or more of the following you will be eligible for a reduced fee.

If the animal is:

• desexed,
  • over 10 years of age, or
  • part of a domestic animal business or applicable organisation, or
  • a dogs that has undergone training, or
  • a working dog.

Applicable organisations are:

• Australian National Cats Inc.
  • Cats Victoria Inc
  • Dogs Victoria
  • Feline Control Council (Victoria) Inc.
  • Greyhound Racing Victoria, and
  • The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy Australia and Victoria Inc.

How does this affect owners who already get a reduced fee due to microchipping?

It will not affect people if they stay within the same local council area and continue to renew the registration on an animal.

The removal of the reduced fee for microchipped animals registration is only effective for registrations occurring on or after 11 April 2013.

Anyone who receives a reduced fee for other criteria (e.g. the animal is desexed or over 10 years of age, see above) will continue to receive this discount.

What if my animal has been previously registered but I move to a different council area?

If you move to a different council area your registration will be regarded by that council as new. This means the reduced fee for microchipped animals will not continue. However, if your animal is desexed or meets other criteria, outlined above, the reduced fee will [still] apply.

My Council also has mandatory desexing , will this mean that new registrations cannot receive the reduced fee?

No. Desexing, whether mandatory or not, entitles the owner to a reduced registration fee.

IN WA you say Dogswest member and they stare blankly at you. No reduced rates here :(

Dogs Victoria did a lot of work some years ago to establish a good relationship with the DPI and become accepted as an Applicable Organisation.

This is one of the areas it has paid off for it's members.