Keep Cats Out Of Dog Food

Mavis

I have a few questions that I would value your opinions on. I have scoured the internet for months, but can't seem to work out a way to keep our cats away from the dog food. Most people seem to have the opposite problem!

The cats are fed on a schedule, however our dog has dry food available all day because of his very very small size (I worry about hypoglycemia and he is not a pig, he eats slowly during the day). At the moment I keep him in his own bathroom with a baby gate separating him and the food from the cats. The cats are too daft to realise they can easily jump the gate. However I would like to give him run of the house as the animals are all good friends. Any ideas on how I could allow the dog access to the food without the cats gobbling it up?

Similarly, I am looking for a good indoor loo solution. Doggy can't hold it while I am at work for 6hours and I may be taking a full time job for a few months this year. I would like something like the spotty dog loo, but it seems way too big for my tiny little dog. I would prefer something more durable and less visually gross than puppy pads. I have considered litter training although as I know from having two cats, it is a messy solution. Access to the yard is not an option for various reasons.

Thank you in advance for your wisdom!

Years ago my grandfather had an awsome dog feeder for his caravan, it had two square bowls with a plastic lid, in front of the bowls was a platform, when his dog stepped on it the lid would lift and his dog could access it's food.

Might be a suitable option unless your cats are smart enough to work it out.

a cat enclosure ..outdoors? Locking cats in one or two rooms during the day?

Tricky.

as for an indoor loo - for urine, I heartily recommend the Conni Pet pads!! they are terrific - VERY absorbent ...not unsightly ..and easily washed/dried quickly .

Thanks for the Connie critter link Persephone! Looks promising. Locking the cats in a run or a room would somewhat defeat the purpose of them socializing during the day however I would love a cat run one day! When we live in a home we own again :-).

Years ago my grandfather had an awsome dog feeder for his caravan, it had two square bowls with a plastic lid, in front of the bowls was a platform, when his dog stepped on it the lid would lift and his dog could access it's food.

Might be a suitable option unless your cats are smart enough to work it out.

That sounds amazing... my cats are smart in their own way (can sit on command etc.) but I would be keen to give that a try...

..exactly how much does this wee doggy have in his piggy bank???? if he has LOTS - then this looks excellent!

LINK

excerpt

The SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder is here! The Pet bowl is activated by your cats microchip, scanning the chip which then uncovers the food for eating. Great for cats or dogs on different or prescription diets, or the grazer who leaves their food for the bugs!

..exactly how much does this wee doggy have in his piggy bank???? if he has LOTS - then this looks excellent!

LINK

excerpt

The SureFeed Microchip Pet Feeder is here! The Pet bowl is activated by your cats microchip, scanning the chip which then uncovers the food for eating. Great for cats or dogs on different or prescription diets, or the grazer who leaves their food for the bugs!

Oh em gee... Just showed this to my partner. We are impressed... This is definitely a possibility!!

I have a spotty potty for my little dog, I'm guessing it's the same one you are talking about. I have found it excellent as it is very low to the ground compared too the pet loo.

I found pet pads unsuitable as she would move them around and play with them.

Edited by Alibi

I have a spotty potty for my little dog, I'm guessing it's the same one you are talking about. I have found it excellent as it is very low to the ground compared too the pet loo.

I found pet pads unsuitable as she would move them around and play with them.

Yes Alibi, that is what I am talking about. Do you find it huge and unweildly?

That sounds amazing... my cats are smart in their own way (can sit on command etc.) but I would be keen to give that a try...

Mmmm ... Smart cats wouldn't sit on command! :laugh:

Haha you are right. They will only do it for food though... So they are still fairly clever :-).

No, but I did want it larger to make it harder to miss lol. Even occasionally she will stand on it and will accidentally pee off the side. I also have 2 rubber grass mats in circulation so I pretty much pick up the mat and grate which is in two, hose, change pad on base and replace grate and the dry mat.

I very rarely have to pick the base up (it's two parts with a conector so it's easy to move about). After high use for the last two years it doesn't smell unlike the fake grass one my sisters pup had, they had it less then a year and had to throw it out as no matter how much cleaning it had it smelt bad.

No, but I did want it larger to make it harder to miss lol. Even occasionally she will stand on it and will accidentally pee off the side. I also have 2 rubber grass mats in circulation so I pretty much pick up the mat and grate which is in two, hose, change pad on base and replace grate and the dry mat.

I very rarely have to pick the base up (it's two parts with a conector so it's easy to move about). After high use for the last two years it doesn't smell unlike the fake grass one my sisters pup had, they had it less then a year and had to throw it out as no matter how much cleaning it had it smelt bad.

Excellent... I have purchased one. He already does his business on Astroturf (we have some on our deck) which is annoying in general but at least it means he is already trained! :-)