Puppy Farm ?

terry L

We recently purchased a puppy from a breeder who advertised on Dogzonline assuming that we were getting a pedigreed animal.

When we attended the property the first thing obvious were a number of litters of puppies (probably about 10 - 15 ).

The breeder would accept cash only ($800.00) and, all we received in return was a change of owner form for the NSW Companion Animals Act, NO receipt !! and an E/Mail on general puppy rearing.

We were shown briefly a dog claimed to be the mother of our pup but, going on the noise coming from the rear of the premises there were certainly a number of dogs there.

After reading warnings of the "puppy farms!!" I am concerned.

Is this now normal procedure?

In the past I have had dogs of other breeds and , purchase did receive receipt and, pedigree papers.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't sound like a "normal procedure" to me. Very dodgey. Not sure why you went along with it and purchased the puppy?

Were the litters on ground all different breeds?

Edited by Tay.

We recently purchased a puppy from a breeder who advertised on Dogzonline assuming that we were getting a pedigreed animal.

When we attended the property the first thing obvious were a number of litters of puppies (probably about 10 - 15 ).

The breeder would accept cash only ($800.00) and, all we received in return was a change of owner form for the NSW Companion Animals Act, NO receipt !! and an E/Mail on general puppy rearing.

We were shown briefly a dog claimed to be the mother of our pup but, going on the noise coming from the rear of the premises there were certainly a number of dogs there.

In the past I have had dogs of other breeds and , purchase did receive receipt and, pedigree papers.

Breeders advertise here on the condition they are current members of their state's CCs - If the breeder is located in NSW then as a current member of their state's CC they HAVE to provide registered pedigrees to all puppy buyers. So Im assuming you will receive a pedigree soon via mail but in your position I would email the breeder ask about a receipt and when you can expect your registered pedigree.

You should have asked for a receipt & about the pedigree at the time you handed your money over but I realise that is not helpful to you now.

Do as Steve suggested & either email or phone. I would try the phone first.

Pedigrees can take a while to get to the breeder. If you can't get the pedigree then you have to contact Dogs NSW & ask their advice.

If you were not happy with anything else there its up to you as the buyer to walk away without a puppy.

Hopefully your new bundle of joy will bring you much pleasure.

Only accepting cash isn't a red flag to me, most breeders wouldn't be set up with a merchant facility, and bank transfer or cheque present more risk for both involved.

I would also just send through an email like "hi x, thought you'd like to know pup is doing well. Do we have a time frame on when pups registration papers will come through? The best mailing address for them is xxxx"

Then if they reply saying your pup is not/will not be registered, then you can act from there.

Good luck!

Only accepting cash isn't a red flag to me, most breeders wouldn't be set up with a merchant facility, and bank transfer or cheque present more risk for both involved.

I would also just send through an email like "hi x, thought you'd like to know pup is doing well. Do we have a time frame on when pups registration papers will come through? The best mailing address for them is xxxx"

Then if they reply saying your pup is not/will not be registered, then you can act from there.

Good luck!

good point, Jemmy ...

The registration doesn't worry me as much as if the parents have had health testing done .

I can't remember exactly but I know that when I have bought a pup (long time ago now) it has taken at least a month (and I think longer) before I have received the pedigree papers. And I've always paid cash.

I have received a receipt and usually copies of immunisation and general info when I've collected the pup.

The number of litters is concerning.

I can't remember exactly but I know that when I have bought a pup (long time ago now) it has taken at least a month (and I think longer) before I have received the pedigree papers. And I've always paid cash.

I have received a receipt and usually copies of immunisation and general info when I've collected the pup.

The number of litters is concerning.

Why is 10 -15 pups concerning for you? Could just be two litters. Happens sometimes as bitches often come into season at the same time.

I had an acquaintance proudly tell me they just bought a pedigreed lab pup from 'somewhere South of Sydney'. When I asked her to tell me more, she said there were at least 10 litters of pups so 'she had lots of choice'. I'm not sure how to define a puppy farm anymore.

Oooooh Terry, you were assuming you were paying for a pedigreed animal, so you chase up those pedigree papers. Be brave, stick to your guns and ask for proof of pedigree and a receipt for $800 of your hard earned cash to be sent to you asap. If you dont get satisfaction let The Boss of this site know, let the Canine Council know, and let the Dept of Fair Trading know.

Agree with others. Sounds dodgy except for cash only thing which in my limited experience is normal. Sounds quite cheap for a pedigree puppy too (depending on the breed).

I think the OP sounds dodgy. How do we know he is telling the truth?