Becoming A Reputable Breeder

Stressmagnet

My sister is immigrating to help me as I slide into the inevitable decline that accompanies terminal cancer. She is bringing her two female Westies, both Canadian champions. Not sure what the paperwork iis, as far as her being able to set up breeding here - but she's had some nice successes in the show ring in Canada under Grinn Westies.

She is hoping to set up here as a breeder of Westies.

Once she's gone through quarantine etc., what's involved? And who are the best folks to talk to, and what are the most reputable organisations?

So sorry SM, I hadn't realised your cancer was terminal, makes me admire your amazing attitude to life even more :) I'm glad your sister will be coming to help you out.

I don't know a lot but I'd think DOL would be a good place to start! Joining the state CC (are you NSW, can't see on iPhone) and the Westie Club (surely there is one).

There must be a way to have overseas Champions recognized by the ANKC.

Good luck to you and her sorting it out :)

Edited by Simply Grand

Excellent! Thank you. I really want her to have something of her own here besides the drudgery of looking after two teen girls and a bitchy older sister!

I'll message her with the details. Thank you so much.

PS. And yes my cancer is terminal but so far, I'm beating the odds. I think I'm too cranky to go quite yet.

No but it added context to why I was asking.:D God forbid I take up breeding - it sounds like hard work for very little reward except love.

She's not planning I more than 1 litter every 2-3 years from her existing girls. She's trying to talk me into a bigger place so she can keep one boy and one more girl as Pip is now 4, had 2 litters and I think she wants to give her a rest.

All of this info will be really good for her. She loves her dogs, does a lot with them and they really are textbook examples of the breed. I think it will be good for her to continue part of her old life here.

Thanks again.

That's wonderful of your sister. I'll bet she finds Oz a great change from (Brrrr!) Canada.

She should have no trouble getting recognized as a reputable -- and excellent -- breeder from what I saw in the 15 yrs I lived in Oz. Show people care a lot about showing. She should get the right boxes ticked there. Pet people care a lot about the home situation in which the pups are raised. Also should be no problem. If Westies have health problems for which there are tests . . . she probably already does them and just needs to provide documentation. I wish more puppy buyers asked for health test results.

Both my parents did terminal cancer (pancreatic and esophageal/stomach) with hospice. Both they, and we (the children) found the care helpful. I wish you well and hope you can find joy in the time you have remaining. Having dogs around helps a lot.

No but it added context to why I was asking.:D God forbid I take up breeding - it sounds like hard work for very little reward except love.

She's not planning I more than 1 litter every 2-3 years from her existing girls. She's trying to talk me into a bigger place so she can keep one boy and one more girl as Pip is now 4, had 2 litters and I think she wants to give her a rest.

All of this info will be really good for her. She loves her dogs, does a lot with them and they really are textbook examples of the breed. I think it will be good for her to continue part of her old life here.

Thanks again.

She sounds like a great breeder :) And you and your girls will get teeny baby puppy cuddles :love:

PS. Keep beating those odds, I definitely think you have the attitude to do it ;)

Edited by Simply Grand

So sorry to hear that news SM.

You will need to get your sister to get export pedigrees done for her dogs through the CKC so they can be re-registered here with ANKC. She will have to join her state canine control which I'm guessing will be Dogs NSW and then get the dogs re-registered. Their titles will be recognised here. The transfer of her prefix (kennel name) might be more problematic, not sure how that is done.

Application for her kennel name has to be done as if she was a total newbie so just follow the info on Dogs NSW website. She will not get the kennel name if it's already being used here, I would suggest she gets something to prove she has it already in Canada as this might be checked and she could get the silly answer back - oh no you can't have that name, it's already registered in Canada :-)