Newfoundland Newbie

Newfie Newbie

I worked at a Newfoundland kennel for 3 yrs back in the 80’s. 

They are divine animals, although not for everyone. 

Personally not the dog for me. I like a more serious personality myself. 

The main points I would make are do your homework on breeders. A healthy well conformed Newfy is a thing of beauty and an asset to cherish. But a poorly bred Newfy will bring you nothing but heartache and expense. Also A breeder that will support you through the life stages of your Newfy. 

Like many giant breeds, they can be expensive to buy, expensive to run, and wear out a little earlier than you might like. They really are more than your average dog. 

Once you have sourced a great dog from a great breeder, like mentioned above, it is CRITICAL to implement boundaries from the moment the dog steps into your life. They are a breed that needs a lot of work on self control. You really really don’t want to be trying to teach that to a juvenile Newfy. It must be enforced from the absolutely earliest days. 

And, again as mentioned before, and being a groomer myself, if your Newfy is not well maintained between professional grooms, and not well versed in decent grooming manners, don’t expect much sympathy from your groomer. If you can find one! 

A well bred Newfy kept slim, fit, active and well trained will be a delight. 

I wouldn’t suggest a Newfy if you’re particularly house proud. Slobber for one. Hair for another, but mostly because of the sheer size and magnitude of the dog and the coat, a simple walk around the garden will see a lot of garden tracked inside. A trip to the beach will see half the beach in your car, and some more in your living room. Theyre not a wipe down and you’re done kind of a dog. A whole other league to a Labrador coat. 

Edited by mingaling
  • Like 2

I’ll add that what I’d really suggest is you chase up some breeders either to visit them at home or see them at a dog show, and actually spend some time up close and personal with more than a couple of Newfoundland.  They are so much more dog than a Labrador. 

I have only ever worked with one newfy ..but so VERY different from a labrador ... especially the size  and amount of grooming care needed :) 

Congratulations on doing your homework .............. and YES .Do be sure to take lots of time to see different Newfs , to check out nutrition, health and , especially training needs ! 

( I have been met at the door by a trained and very well kept newfy who was also the family guard - an 'interesting' experience , even when I knew this girl was under control ...they are amazingly powerful and loud !!) She was owned by a decades- long experienced trainer, and was a gorgeous dog :) 

• 2 years later...