Newfoundland Newbie

Newfie Newbie

Hi everyone, my names Ingrid and I'm new to the site and just getting into the world of Newfoundlands. As of today I've put myself on a waiting list for a pup and I'm looking for as much information and first hand experiences as I can gather. I've already done a lot of research on them but I'm sure there's more others can add.

Also if anyone can give me information on the Tasmanian Newfie breeder Yesallaw or has gotten a puppy from them, I would love to hear from you.

One of our in-laws was a New Zealander & when she came to Australia to get married, her Newfie, named Kiser, came with her. He was a lovely dog. When they had children & lived near beaches, Kiser would circle them as they swam in order to 'save' them. :) I'm sure you'll also love having a Newfie as part of the family.

We had a Newfie when the kids were young and she was the sweetest girl :) Unfortunately she got into a packet of snail bait in the neighbours yard and died just before she turned 6. I was devastated :cry: She was gentle and fearless.

Hi everyone, my names Ingrid and I'm new to the site and just getting into the world of Newfoundlands. As of today I've put myself on a waiting list for a pup and I'm looking for as much information and first hand experiences as I can gather. I've already done a lot of research on them but I'm sure there's more others can add.

Also if anyone can give me information on the Tasmanian Newfie breeder Yesallaw or has gotten a puppy from them, I would love to hear from you.

Hi Ingrid. Great choice of breed! I have two Newfies - a black 7 year old girl and a 19 month old Landseer boy. I have also had two others previously. They are great dogs but don't be fooled by the quiet gentle description as not all of them are like that, especially as puppies. Like any other dog they need good training to become well behaved dogs, and this is even more important when they will end up weighing as much or more than you! Some still have the natural lifesaving instinct, but as that is not something breeders strive for, not a lot seem to have it these days. Most of them like to swim to varying degrees but some don't. We do water rescue training with the Newfoundland Club of Victoria and there is a lot of variation in the dogs' interest in swimming and rescue. I hope you enjoy doing a lot of grooming and don't mind dealing with slobber - some slobber more than others, but some slobber A LOT! There are several Newfoundland facebook pages - The Newfoundland Club of Victoria , Australian Newfoundland Dog Owners, Newfoundland Dog owners Forum and The Holistic Newfoundland Dog. Feel free to ask any questions here, or ask to join the fb pages and ask there. Plenty of Newfie people happy to give advice.

Yes I don't think my Leah quite grasped the life saving bit. When she was young she pushed my son underwater. It was like she knew she had to do something..... :rofl: He was not impressed! She wasn't much of a drooler.

To start with, they often swim out to you but then get worried and try to get on top of you. You have to teach them to swim around you.

My first two didn't drool much and neither does my older one, but the young one drools a lot more. Still not as bad as some though. You have to be prepared for the worst!

One of the girls I used to live with would rescue baby ducks from the dam. She never hurt them but they were always very confused by what happened.

All the Newfies I lived with drooled really badly. That is the biggest reason I now have Samoyeds.

You will never regret your breed choice :) I have had Newfs since 1986 and just can't be without one or more....lol

At the moment I only have 1 living with me, 4 year old Landseer Mason, who came all the way to Oz from France.

When we first started out, we did water training with our girl and carting with our boy.

Sue in Tassie is an excellent breeder :) Does all the relevant health checks and is a lovely person :)

Photo is of my boy at water training with the Newfoundland Club of Victoria :)

Edited to add - be ready for drool found everywhere, on your ceiling, windows, inside the car.....and hair....hair everywhere, have once found a Newfy hair in a newly opened frozen food pack!! lol You do get used to it though and barely notice the drool or hair after a while

post-3190-0-84560000-1422341675_thumb.jpg

Edited by alotanewfs

Yes I forgot about the hair! It really did get into everything

No different than owning two British Shorthair cats... I'm happy to post Ingrid several balls of Brit hair so she can toss it all around her house, just to get the feel and all :D

Don't get me started on Shiba hair. The stuff is pointy and burrows into everything.....

• 3 years later...

Hi I am doing some research on the Newfoundland. I have had Labrador’s in the past and I’m looking for a new member to the family. As I am used to short haired breeds, I was just making some enquiries in relation to their coats.

Are their coats hard to maintain?

Do they shed lots of hair?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Jay

Have helped shown and board .

Can they be the wrong breed for people absolutely.If your not prepared to lead train your dog correctly from a baby they don’t get one .

We board a couple that have no lead manners and are dangerous because of it .

If you don’t want to train your Newf to be brush correctly again don’t get one .

Many groomers refuse to do them due to TerribLe manners and to much damage to a groomers body ,spay coats make it worse .

If you don’t like slobber don’t get one and not all are born to swim.

If your dedicated to the above you will love your pup and breed