Waking Up With A Yelp

Emily Howard

I have a vet appointment this afternoon, but just wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen.

Over the last few weeks my dog occasionally wakes up with a yelp/cry. At first I thought something was very wrong but then she was fine and normal.

It's very intermittent, and sometimes she seems a little vague after it, sort of not quite there.

Today she did it 3 times in the space of half an hour and seemed more vague than ever, and didn't want to get up. After a few minutes she gets up and acts fine.

It only ever happens when she's asleep.

She's a Dobermann and almost 13yo. Otherwise she is in great health and shape.

Hmm... It could be doggy nightmares but it seems odd that it is only happening now that she is 13 years old. How is her brain otherwise? Does she ever seem confused or in a strange mood?

ETA you say she is in good health however perhaps she is having little twinges of pain? Arthritis? Sorry, I am not a vet so hopefully your appointment will be revealing.

Edited by Mavis

She's as sharp as a pin, hearing, eyesight and general awareness is really good. She's never hesitant to get up when called, which is why I'm worried that she doesn't want to get up after one of these episodes and seems dazed.

I worried she may be having a seizure.

My girl used to do that when she had a spasm in her back leg , hip or back.

She would jump up , yelp and sort of look around as though she didn't know why she was awake! It always happened when she was asleep

Trigger point therapy fixed it

Edited by CavsRcute

I have a little maltese cross dog who does this. She is elderly and getting arthritic and she makes some kind of shift in her sleep that hurts and it jolts her awake with a yelp. She then growls at the nearest of my other dogs because she seems to think they caused the pain. Seems to be neck pain as it happens when she lifts her head.

One of mine does this when he has neck pain. He's had it a few times. His neck muscles become sore (likely from playing) and when he wakes up and moves to get up he cries. Acupuncture and some painkillers and he's right as rain :)

So I'd recommend looking into muscle pain. How is her movement? Any hunching? Is she raising her head high or keeping it low? Does she find it difficult to get comfortable?