Kibble For Dog With Sensitive Tummy

My 12 month old mix-breed has had a bit of a sensitive tummy since I adopted him at ~4 months old. He's now 12 months old and still just as sensitive. I have had to cut out anything like pig's ears as it gives him the runs, and honestly his stools are very rarely properly solid. He was on Pro Plan puppy large and that was probably the closest to 'ok' we've had him, but still not fantastic. I'm currently trying him on Applaws grain-free sensitive formula and I have picked up many giant poos from the yard today and difficult to pick up as they are so soft, but not quite runny. His gas isn't very pleasant today, either.

He was vet checked when he was at his worst, a few months ago when he had very watery, frequent diarrhoea. He was given some form of antibiotic for a few days and checked over and I was told nothing serious was up.

Is there a foolproof kibble for dogs with sensitive tummies? Or am I going to have to ride this rollercoaster of trial and error for some time yet?

if you can find a 'fool-proof' kibble for sensitive tummies do let me know AA :laugh: . I have a dog with similar problem. I have finally settled on Royal Canin Sensitivity for his dry food. Have tried so many different ones, you would not believe! Let's see, I have tried Canidae, Blackhawk, Taste of the Wild, Advance (probably the worst :eek: ), Hills, Earhborne, Meals for Mutts, and many more.

I do know my boy cannot tolerate chicken and this is in so many dog foods.

Mine is also a poor eater and he will starve rather than eat dry food on its own so I make a casserole of beef or goat plus vege's then mix some dry food with it. Sometimes feed the meat raw but he is not so keen and I struggle to keep weight on him.

I do find I have to watch fat content too, leaner meats are better for him.

It really is a matter of trying to isolate what your dog is sensitive to - the latest 'fassion' in dog foods is 'grain-free' but really, most dogs are more likely to be sensitive to a protein than a carbohydrate. Makes no difference to my dog if there are grains or not.

...... good luck :grimace:

The best options that i have come across for my sensitive tummy boy is Grain-Free fish based kibble - Holisitic Select, Earthborn and Canidea are the three best ones. Recently, I have started to add cooked brown rice to his evening meal as I found that he went the other way with the grain-free dry food and gets constipated. Adding probiotics powder to his food has made a great difference as well.

The only ones I've tried that work to reduce Ernie's room clearing gas are all grain free. Canidae Sea is what he's on on now.

Any table scraps, mooched tidbits and pigs ears cause runny stools and the donning of gas masks.

Not sure I've been that helpful, sorry.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Our girl Jessie has been having problems with vomiting for a while....we have spent a fortune on blood tests to find out what she has not got.....we had her on Black Hawk but changed her to Royal Canin sensitive but she was still not right.....we have now changed her to Supercoat Sensitive and she has been fantastic we also changed how we gave her medication like made her tea up and took a bit out for her breakfast and put her tablets in with her meals.....I had put them in hot dog beforehand....Jessie vomits every 2-3 months and we are at the stage where she should be vomiting again.....she hasn't so far so keep fingers crossed that this has cured her vomiting :thumbsup: .....I know that Supercoat is not a great dry food but if it works I am all for it.....hope you find something that suits your dog as there is nothing worse than them being sick and you cannot do anything :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'd also suggest Canidae Pure Sea. With that you're avoiding most of the common allergens like grains and meats such as chicken. It's also a relatively limited ingredient food, so that helps too. Give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

Does he eat anything in the garden, like grass etc?

Thanks to Trinabean, I discovered Delicate Care Natural Balance Skin or Stomach Pet food for sensitive dogs.

I'm glad you found some DDD. :)

ActuallyAngela, my dog is still on this food, after years of trying so many things (including raw feeding and home-prepared food with vitamin/ mineral supplements added). It's the only dry food mine has been able to eat without suffering itchy skin and runny poos. This is the first time in his life that he has consistently done solid poos (a big deal when we were used to frequent diarrhoea and bloody colitis). He's looking really good on it, and finally has some cover over his ribcage. I am strict though, the only other food he gets are roo meat/ bones (roo tails for keeping teeth clean) and roo jerky.

Under a dermatologist's guidance, Bruno went through elimination diets, and re-challenging with one food at a time. We worked our way through a list of the most common problem foods for allergy dogs.

Chicken is top of the list, followed by beef, lamb, dairy, wheat, soy, corn, rice. My dog is intolerant to most of that list, and it can be quite hard to find a food that doesn't contain any of those ingredients. There are 'hypoallergenic' foods on the market, but these were terrible for my dog. His symptoms were worse than ever on one of them, and the other he absolutely refused to eat, and began to starve himself. But they are helpful for many dogs. Just not mine. I haven't found grains outside of wheat, soy and corn to be a problem for my dog, but chicken, beef and lamb are really bad for him.

It may be worth your while to track down a sample of the Natural Balance 'Delicate Care skin or stomach' food and give it a try? It's made with Australian duck and roo and doesn't contain some of the most common allergens listed above. Change over gradually if you do, and don't give any other treats, at least intitially until things settle down. And definitely steer clear of treats such as pigs ears, rawhides and anything made in China (jerky etc) they can be full of junk and probably aren't great for a robust dog, let alone a sensitve one. Good luck! :)

Thanks to Trinabean, I discovered Delicate Care Natural Balance Skin or Stomach Pet food for sensitive dogs.

I'm glad you found some DDD. :)

Thanks to Trinabean and Valbitz, I have found food that Danny will eat and not bring up on a regular basis.

Valbitz put me onto BM Animals who make and supply their own food and I feed Danny little bits of their air dried chicken breast through the day. Most nights last thing (which can be between midnight and 2am for me), I will give Danny a small meal of Delicate Balance kibble which he always eats.

I also make Bone Broth and make a "shake" of this with BM Animals dried foods and probiotics and give him this during the day as well.

I credit Valbitz and Trinabean with saving his life, really, because until their suggestions, he wasn't keeping enough food down or even eating enough to keep a sparrow alive.

Oh poor little Danny, I'm so glad you've found a couple of things that work for him! I'm relieved for you and Danny.

It's so heartbreaking when they are fading away and refusing to eat/ vomiting, and nothing seems to work. :(

At one point last year, the vet advised us to put Bruno on a 'hypoallergenic' food. He is currently lean and healthy at 29 kg, a good weight for a male Boxer. But last year he was already skinny at 25kgand dropped down to 22.5 kg, he flatly refused to eat the hypoallergenic food. People say 'a healthy dog won't starve itself' well, a sick one sure can!

Or am I going to have to ride this rollercoaster of trial and error for some time yet?

Danny and I have been on a roller coaster for several months now, ActuallyAngela, and I hope you can find something to help you get off it. Danny is an old dog so I have had many many years of relatively uncomplicated eating.

Danny does have a diagnosis though of hiatus hernia and non specific gastritis, so it has all been a bit of nightmare and worse for him, of course, feeling sick half the time.

I really would suggest you try the Delicate Balance and also BM Animals.

Good luck and keep us informed as to how you go.

Thanks so much for the responses everyone. Sorry I'm so late with my reply. Some of your dogs sound like they've been through some real rollercoasters, you poor things :( I've been very lucky that while he appears to have a bit of a sensitive tummy he looks and acts healthy and energetic, is a healthy weight, and has a beautiful shiny coat. It must be so stressful when they're so sensitive it affects their overall health. I'm considering myself lucky now!

Anyway, Dave-o to answer your question regarding whether he eats other things such as grass...he is mostly (or half, I don't know) labrador and he literally chews up and eats anything, plant, food, funiture, pillows, garden beds. I often find bits of plastic from his toys in his poop. Fun times :thumbsup:

His worst phase was when he had pigs ears so I figured maybe pork, and while the violent diaorrhea stopped when I stopped giving him those, he never really had "normal" toilet habits. I never thought of chicken! Why didn't I think of chicken?! I think maybe because I like chicken so much I would hate to deny my beloved pooch his chicken! :laugh:

Anyway, to update: about a week ago after reading this thread and a few responses from you who have had luck with Sea kibbles, I was at the supermarket and happened to see purina supercoat something-or-other fishy kibble for sensitive dogs. He's been on it for a few days noe and I think this might be ok!!!! His poos seem to be getting a bit more solid!!! After all of this time here's me buying what I thought was "premium" expensive kibble and it might turn out that a $16 bag of supermarket food is the answer!

I'm suspicious that chicken is part of the problem with my Sarah too - and I'm also suspicious that chicken makes her itchy. Since I switched her to turkey mince and rice she's been much better itchy-wise. But she's still having trouble tummy-wise. So we're off to the vet on Tuesday night and we'll go from there.

My Cavalier was exactly the same. As son as I took her off any form of chicken, it improved. Took about 2 weeks to firm up .

I also gave her Protexin, to help with the lining of her tummy and bowel

I wonder if Protexin would be better for Danny than Carafate? Another question for my vet LOL.

What's the function of Carafate?

I'm suspicious that chicken is part of the problem with my Sarah too - and I'm also suspicious that chicken makes her itchy. Since I switched her to turkey mince and rice she's been much better itchy-wise. But she's still having trouble tummy-wise. So we're off to the vet on Tuesday night and we'll go from there.

I found that turkey was just as bad as chicken for the tummy problems. Any poultry was a no no