Resources For A New Exhibitor

ElizabethBailey

Hi there,

I will be getting my first show puppy (a male smooth black & tan mini dachshund) in about six weeks and was wondering if anyone could recommend some resources for a first time shower? I already have two dachies and so am well versed in general puppy rearing, but am interested in reading something more show-oriented, in particular something discussing what might need to be done differently in raising a show dog vs a pet dog. I've had a bit of a look on amazon, book depository, Dogwise etc but there's a lot out there and much of it concerning showing in the States or the UK (although I don't know if that really matters), so some recommendations would be much appreciated. I have attended some & will keep attending local shows in the lead up to getting the puppy, and once he arrives I will have the help of family/friends/ a breeder who have all shown. I also intend to attend handler's classes too, once he is old enough. Just keen to read/watch some theory for preparation in the meantime.

Any other general tips or advice is also very welcome, if you feel like sharing.

Thanks in advance!

-- Jess

With a Dachy smooth you aren't going to have a lot of grooming to do. :)

Best bet is show training at EPIC on Wednesday nights.

Probably good to do some lead training and practice stacking on a table, your Breeder should be able to help with this. I wouldn't worry to much tho' as the Judges are pretty forgiving of new exhibitors and baby puppies.

There are a number of shows in the Canberra region coming up, Gunning, Canberra Royal, Yass Ag etc, go to them and come talk to the hound people, we don't usually bite. ;) The Dachy people are around Canberra are all pretty friendly so don't be afraid to talk to them.

If you want an intro come find me and I can introduce you to a number of Hound people, I'm the crazy person showing Afghans, Irish Wolfhounds and Saluki. :D

I won't be at Gunning but the Hound people should be easy to find as they get a bit rowdy at the Gunning show. :rofl:

The best thing to remember is that it is all about having fun!

Bear

• 4 weeks later...

The best book I think is a book called "Show Me" by Caroline Coile. Unfortunately it's going out of print, but you should still be able to find it online. It's American so the stuff about the system of points etc isn't relevant but she has very good things to say about how to handle yourself and making choices about your show dogs.