Best Book On Reading Dog's Body Language

Stressmagnet

Hey folks

Before I drop a bundle on Amazon, I'd like to ask what you'd recommend as the best books on 'reading' your dog - written for someone who can understand big words, but often falls asleep in the middle of them. Illustrations would be a bonus - and something written in the last 10 years, I think.

Thanks.

Edited to say:

I'm not looking for a training manual but more insight into how dogs communicate and what they are saying. And I'm not a huge fan of dominance theory, though it has its place.

Edited by Stressmagnet

Oh Talking Terms with dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas.

This little book(33 pages) not only contains a wealth of knowledge, it is also a delightful read.

There are many wonderful books that will give insights into dogs (and other animals) and their inner lives and behaviours: Dogs never lie about love, When Elephants weep, Dogs that know when their owners are coming home, etc etc.

Hey folks

Before I drop a bundle on Amazon, I'd like to ask what you'd recommend as the best books on 'reading' your dog - written for someone who can understand big words, but often falls asleep in the middle of them. Illustrations would be a bonus - and something written in the last 10 years, I think.

Thanks.

Edited to say:

I'm not looking for a training manual but more insight into how dogs communicate and what they are saying. And I'm not a huge fan of dominance theory, though it has its place.

'On Talking Terms With Dogs: Calming Signals' by Turid Rugaas. The book is very good and easy to read. She also has a DVD and I think has a clip from that on You Tube. Search 'canine body language' and you will probably fine it and more. Sarah Kalnajs two DVD set 'The language of Dogs' is also very good.

If you want to message me your email addy I have several resources from the Dreadlocked Dog Whisperer that we have used for our dogs successfully. As a kid he lived with wild and stray dogs in Ireland for a number of years and he has only learnt to read and write as an adult here in Australia in the past couple of years so a lot of his work is through drawings rather than text. I have two of his books but he has also emailed me a lot of his other resource material over the years as he is just that kind of man who likes to give back. He does not mind his information being shared either.

I also have some great visual charts on doggy language and reactivity (and maybe another?) drawn by Lili Chen I can also send you by email.

Edited by Little Gifts

If you want to message me your email addy I have several resources from the Dreadlocked Dog Whisperer that we have used for our dogs successfully. As a kid he lived with wild and stray dogs in Ireland for a number of years and he has only learnt to read and write as an adult here in Australia in the past couple of years so a lot of his work is through drawings rather than text. I have two of his books but he has also emailed me a lot of his other resource material over the years as he is just that kind of man who likes to give back. He does not mind his information being shared either.

I also have some great visual charts on doggy language and reactivity (and maybe another?) drawn by Lili Chen I can also send you by email.

he is just wonderful :)

he is just wonderful :)