Ear Infection Medications

Sail_Away

Just be wary of Easotic drops and ask lots of questions if its prescribed. It contains a form of gentamicin which can be ototoxic in humans. I'm suspicious that it might have caused my Sarah's sudden late onset deafness... I really must learn to ask many more questions and read the labels in future.

Edited by westiemum

Oh! are they the ingredients of Thornit powder.

Question: does the powder not accumulate in the ear?

Not really. It gets applied as a 'pinch' of the powder. Not a great amount is needed.

Majority of dogs I have ever seen to be treated with this, have got well over ear issues after being treated just once. Two dogs took a bit longer.

:D

I thought that Thornit was for canker caused by ear mites.

I didn't think it was for yeast build-ups which can breed bacteria & infection.

But I'm not a vet. So far I've not been too successful googling.

I've also been googling without much success. One of my Cavaliers gets yeasty ears a week or so after being bathed at the groomers. It's caused by water getting in her ears. I'm not sure Thornit would be of value in that situation but I would dearly like to know.

The problem isn't caused by ear mites because if one Cavalier has ear mites then surely my other one would have considering they sleep in a huddle. My male Cavalier who's groomed at the same time has no problem with yeasty ears though he makes it clear with some energetic head shaking that he does indeed have water in his ears. I wipe all ears out a few times for a couple of days after grooming and that's the end of it for the boy but not for the girl.

Within a few days I recognise that odour indicating yeast is present in the girl's ears. I administer drops each day for about five days until there is no longer any yeasty odour. All is well for ten weeks until the next visit to the groomer. We don't have the yeast problem in the interim when I bathe her because I ensure no water gets in her ears.

Dr. Google is not revealing a lot about Thornit apart from it dealing with ear mites. Neither does he indicate that Thornit available in Aus. It's readily available in the UK with very exy postal charges to Aus.

Honestly all I can say is I think it's worth a try, it can't do any harm. Postage is about $9 from the UK for a 50g bottle which will last years. Also available on Amazon with slightly cheaper postage.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The%20Original%20Thornit%20Ear%20Powder

And no I don't have shares in the product ;)

For those who have dogs with recurrent ear infections please talk to your vets about atopic dermatitis which is a significant cause of this problem. Sure water in the ear may be a contributing factor but there are dogs that have the same lifestyle without the problem so it is worth while looking at investigating for an allergy.

My girls ear is starting to get better thumbsup1.gif Just using PAW gentle ear cleaner half hour before the Surolan drops and she is on the cephalexin. Less discharge and the smell is settling down. Although today I've noticed what looks like a rash forming on the inside of the ear flap... not sure if it is the drops or antibiotics causing it but will keep an eye on it and hopefully it doesn't get worse.

CrazyCresties: thanks for the link. I bought the 50gm bottle from the only seller who ships to Australia. I looked at Amazon before but couldn't find a seller who shipped to Aus. so I gave up.

We'll see if it works for my girl. Both Cavs are booked in with the groomer in four weeks time so it won't be too long before we give Thornit a try. I'm anticipating yeasty ears about 7-10 days following the groom.

If I had to stuff Thornit powder or any powder into her ear canals I wouldn't touch it but it seems this isn't the case so there's nothing to be lost by trying it. I'll use one of my spare makeup brushes. If it doesn't work for my Cav I'll pass it on to someone whose dog responds to Thornit.

Jumabaar: I don't think it's atopic dermatitis because it surely would have shown up before now. She's been going to the groomer for two and a half years and she's now 9 1/2yo. There was no problem in the first 7 years of her life and there are no yeasty ears after I've bathed her.

Sail Away: Excellent news that your girl is improving. She probably needed the cephalexin to kill off the bacteria. I wonder what's causing the rash. Is it bothering her?

CrazyCresties: thanks for the link. I bought the 50gm bottle from the only seller who ships to Australia. I looked at Amazon before but couldn't find a seller who shipped to Aus. so I gave up.

We'll see if it works for my girl. Both Cavs are booked in with the groomer in four weeks time so it won't be too long before we give Thornit a try. I'm anticipating yeasty ears about 7-10 days following the groom.

If I had to stuff Thornit powder or any powder into her ear canals I wouldn't touch it but it seems this isn't the case so there's nothing to be lost by trying it. I'll use one of my spare makeup brushes. If it doesn't work for my Cav I'll pass it on to someone whose dog responds to Thornit.

Jumabaar: I don't think it's atopic dermatitis because it surely would have shown up before now. She's been going to the groomer for two and a half years and she's now 9 1/2yo. There was no problem in the first 7 years of her life and there are no yeasty ears after I've bathed her.

Sail Away: Excellent news that your girl is improving. She probably needed the cephalexin to kill off the bacteria. I wonder what's causing the rash. Is it bothering her?

Rash doesn't seem to be bothering her... It's just the one ear too - the affected one... Makes me think maybe its the drops.. hoping it settles soon otherwise I'll have to take her back to the vet!

For those who have dogs with recurrent ear infections please talk to your vets about atopic dermatitis which is a significant cause of this problem. Sure water in the ear may be a contributing factor but there are dogs that have the same lifestyle without the problem so it is worth while looking at investigating for an allergy.

You make good points. My tibbie never goes near water for swimming & I'm careful when bathing her. The vet recently pointed out that her problem was associated with a 'whole of skin' condition that was evident when the ear infections (mainly right ear) flared up. And indeed there was a yeasty-waxy layer all over....even on her soft collar. There were also some mildly raw patches under her neck & on her sides. That's why her treatment has included general skin care.... as I posted before.

Thornit used to be available from Whelping Supplies (Sway) in Australia.

Tintin got a few bouts of ear problems (yeast infection from memory). Thornit was recommended on a Lagotto fb page. I'm not sure how it works but it has been great for him. I still have my original bottle and use it rarely now. If anyone nearby (Morn Pen, Vic) would like to try before buying, you are welcome to have some of mine.

ETA I, too, have been told that it deals with mites...the vet said Tintin didn't have mites or any evidence of them but the thorny worked. Maybe just a little magic :flower:

Edited by Tintin Jac

I feel for you. We are going through the same with Sid at the moment. Last week I couldn't get in to see my usual vet, so we saw another and she gave totally different advice to my usual guy (who I saw for a recheck a few days ago). Now we have antibiotics as well as Baytril and a flush to use before hand (first vet said 10 minutes, my vet said a couple of hours). Rods present, just like in your dog.

My vet is so surprised at Sid's ear troubles - he even said 'I could lose my keys down here' when examining him this week. Oh and Sid is head tilting again too :(

We had our first yeasty ear ever here recently too. Dealt with it with the Apex PMP ear drops - in the ear and on the inside of it and a course of cortisone. This was after my vet examined a scrapping under the scope and identified it as yeast.

Oh, I forgot to say - yes, the humidity in QLD hasn't helped and we have been swimming a bit.

But the vet also said, when we get the infection under control, to flush his ears a couple of times a week with white vinegar.

He asked if I'd ever used any ear products on him before and I said no (I have the 'if it ain't broke' mentality) and he said that was good, because different products seem to work for different breeds. For eg I can't use Leo/Cleo on Sid - it burns. But apparently not so much for the hairy, floppy eared breeds.