Barking Dog - Help Needed

Lola12456

Good morning all,

I purchased a pomeranian cross breed of some sort he is now a year old but I am having serious problems.

Unfortunately he will not stop barking at the neighbours especially when he hears them in the back yard. Could I ask anyone that could give me some assistance as to what I can do

to stop this problem, I am afraid the neighbours will go to the council and complain. I did approach the neighbours and explained to them the situation but they were not interested in hearing me out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Hi :) Hopefully someone an help . Can you tell us a bit more?

what is your dog's day ? What do you do/what does he do in teh way of walks/training ? Where does he spend most of his time?

How long has he been with you?

Is he desexed?

Does he bark at other things?

is the barking in daytime, or night time?

Can you make it so he can't see them through the fence? Or is he just barking when he even hears a noise?

I had a foster that came here and ran up and down the fence, barking at our neighbours dog. I put up a screen, sprayed it with citronella oil and he never went near it again.

I just bought that reed stuff from bunnings that they can't see through. I really do think it was the citronella that did the trick though.

Training the dog to come to you and get a reward when he leaves the fence and stops barking is another option.

Could you introduce him to the neighbours so he sees they are not a threat? Maybe if they interact with him, it will make life nice for everyone as well (sounds like that might not be an option but if it was me and my neighbour suggested meeting their dog to help with barking issues, I would do it)..

Good luck

Thank you guys,

We have put a barrier up on the fence so he cannot see into the neighbours backyard but unfortunately he still barks. My dog is desexed, he is kept indoors and outdoors, indoors at night and a mix of indoor/outdoor during the day

(really depends if he starts barking). My husband is at home at the moment and has tried to train his barking habit, but he has been unsuccessful. The dog even barks when he hears the neighbours car turn on?

Maybe its just the nature of this particular breed dog I have uploaded a picture of the dog maybe someone knows the mix in him.

Thank you guys,

We have put a barrier up on the fence so he cannot see into the neighbours backyard but unfortunately he still barks. My dog is desexed, he is kept indoors and outdoors, indoors at night and a mix of indoor/outdoor during the day

(really depends if he starts barking). My husband is at home at the moment and has tried to train his barking habit, but he has been unsuccessful. The dog even barks when he hears the neighbours car turn on?

Maybe its just the nature of this particular breed dog I have uploaded a picture of the dog maybe someone knows the mix in him.

post-35687-0-40756000-1423020502_thumb.jpg

Perhaps get in touch with a behaviourist who can help you with the training and offer some other ideas on how to stop it.

If you let us know where in Vic you are, we can probably recommend a good behaviourist that can help - there are a few on DOL from Vic now.

Perhaps get in touch with a behaviourist who can help you with the training and offer some other ideas on how to stop it.

If you let us know where in Vic you are, we can probably recommend a good behaviourist that can help - there are a few on DOL from Vic now.

I am from Melbourne - Dandenong

Lola12456 theres a lot to be said for introducing the dog to the neighbours - then your dog becomes an individual they know not just that noisy anonymous mutt over the fence who's driving us nuts.

My Sarah (westie) would bark at the previous neighbour when she was hanging out her washing in her backyard - couldn't see her but heard her. The neighbours knew my dogs. The neighbour used to poke her head over the fence and tell Sarah to stop barking and it worked. I know it shouldn't have - reinforcing through attention and all that - but it did work for some reason. Maybe Sarah was barking for attention because she was lonely (very social girl my girl!) smile.gif Not sure. But the point is that through knowing my dogs if there was ever any problem with them the neighbours came to me first rather than to the council.

Pomeranians are barkers by nature. I seriously suggest that you do not leave your dog in the yard. The sounds will be enough to set him off. Yes you can see a behaviouralist etc. However I honestly believe that this is the nature of the dog for most Poms. I own a Pom and love him, but he stays inside with the blinds closed while I am not home... He loves the sound of his own voice.

No doubt people on this forum will have some great strategies for you but your short term needs will be met by removing the dog from the stimulating environment.

Its a pain. I have a yapper here but no one bothers, all the areas dogs bark & its rural so sometimes not really noticed. Its the high pitch that sends me nuts.

You could try putting him on a lead to take him out & checking him the second he starts to bark. Verbally or use a water squirter & use a word like shhh or quiet. Then praise & let off lead when quiet. May do the trick.

Squirter is no use with mine she thinks its a great game but some don't like it.

Hi Lola,

Your boy is beautiful! What is his name?

My Abby (Chi x) is a barker. It didn't matter how much exercise or mental stimulation I gave her either, she would still find the energy to bark. I've always been concerned about the barking having a negative impact on my neighbours. Barking dogs are annoying when it is constant. Abby also had quite a loud strong bark for a little dog.

I second Westiemum in regards to forming a relationship with your neighbours. I have had Abby for seven years and I've always had open communication with my neighbours about her barking. I would always approach them, explained that I have a dog that does bark and introduced them to her (while she barked at them at first :)

I let them know that I am aware that it could become a problem and I would encourage them to let me know if they had any issues. I'd follow this up by chatting to them every now and again and asking how it was going. Luckily, I've been very blessed with understanding neighbours and it's never truly gotten out of hand, but for the most part I kept Abby indoors while I was at work. I wasn't 100% happy with that because I'd prefer them to have access to indoors and outdoors but I tried leaving them outside a few times and then I'd be walking home from work at lunch to hear her barking a bit too often for my liking. The only good thing is that I can let them out for a bit of a run at lunch time.

My girl is now at my parents (not because of barking though!)

If your neighbours aren't interested in talking now, perhaps you could leave a note explaining your plan of action (leaving your boy inside, consulting with a behaviourist) and to contact you with any concerns. That way they know you are making an effort.

I never went down the road of bark collars etc, and some others may have some good advice. I managed to just minimise the annoyance and ensure that Abby was receiving enough exercise/mental stimulation so it wouldn't get completely out of hand. She was not a dog I could do that to anyway for her own well-being. She needs to do stuff.

Edited by Henrietta

My barker just stays inside when we're not home. Nothing else works :laugh:

Indeed! I am working on some techniques with my boy but when I am not there I can't really do anything! I don't leave my tiny pom in the backyard for many reasons but this is one of the big ones.

Thank you all for you great advice I really appreciate it. Prior to getting Charlie I had a Pom for 14 years he only barked at strangers lurking outside the house.

We have now purchased an anti-barking collar with spray, but yet again the barking is there (not as much though). I think the more he is wearing it the more he will learn to stop. Let's pray to god.

I will keep you all posted in the coming weeks of his progress.

Thank you once again