What Is It About "balls"?

YOLO

My dogs are OBSESSED with balls.

They are retrievers, so they will fetch anything. They also enjoy a good chew-toy, and even the occasional rope tug-of-war. But what is it about balls?

Hold any inanimate object without moving and they have no interest unless I move to throw. But hold a ball and they will sit fixated, and indefinitely so. Not even FOOD can hold their attention like a ball.

I don't know if they understand what "toy" or "rope" is, but say "where's your ball?" and Chloe will immediately stop WHATEVER she is doing and run off in search of a ball. In fact, say "where's your rope?" and she will still go searching for a ball.

As I said, she enjoys having a chew on a chew-toy, but once she is finished, she simply drops it and ignores it, but not balls.

She will spend hours simply carrying a ball around in her mouth, and then curl up to sleep with the ball under her chin. In fact she likes nothing better than to accumulate multiple balls and curl up with them.

Most of these balls have the appearance of tennis balls, so I wonder if the slight furryness triggers some kind of maternal instinct?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Could it simply be that as humans we have assumed they want to chase/play with a ball and therefore it is one of the first things we tend to use to play and interact with them as puppies? They then associate balls with interaction/attention, if they have a ball with them we will be more likely to offer to play?

I've had dogs wear down their canine teeth and one vet said it was from the abrasiveness of tennis balls so they are banned at my place - maybe check with your vet.

My border collies (so working dogs) are also obsessive with balls but also anything that I can throw/they can throw and retrieve. They probably see it as work and attention.

I've had dogs wear down their canine teeth and one vet said it was from the abrasiveness of tennis balls so they are banned at my place - maybe check with your vet.

My border collies (so working dogs) are also obsessive with balls but also anything that I can throw/they can throw and retrieve. They probably see it as work and attention.

My girl Chess had worn down teeth when we adopted her, so we don't use tennis balls either. I buy the coloured bouncy balls from rebel sport instead which are smooth and surprisingly durable.

The lack of fuzziness has in no way diminished her all-consuming obsession :laugh:

The kong tennis balls say they are non abrasive and I hope they are right as my 3kg girl is obsessed with the mini ones.

Every day as soon as I get up I am harassed to play fetch lol, she even sits outside the shower of a morning with the ball in her mouth waiting for me to get out and throw it, and if I sit down to shave my legs she tries to push it through the glass at me lol.

The kong tennis balls say they are non abrasive and I hope they are right as my 3kg girl is obsessed with the mini ones.

Every day as soon as I get up I am harassed to play fetch lol, she even sits outside the shower of a morning with the ball in her mouth waiting for me to get out and throw it, and if I sit down to shave my legs she tries to push it through the glass at me lol.

The kong tennis balls are great.

We have two here - one for training and one for playing fetch.

I like that even if they are punctured, they still squeak (if he leaves the squeaker in it).

I so want a ball fetching dog. When we got Hank my son was so excited because he was going to play with his dog that was going to be named Hunter and play with balls. So he was named Hank and had no interest in balls. Jake doesnt like to fetch anything, I've tried everything and I can get a slightly sustained hold on a piece of sheepskin but that's it.

Next dog is going to have to pass the ball fetching test before it comes home. If only so I can photos like the one above????.

I was trying teach Ernie last night (his 20 mins of brain work) to go and get his Squirrel. He loves the thing - it's actually just a squeaker mat with a head and a tail. I mean he LOVES it.

Until he remembered where we keep his grooming stuff and found TENNIS BALL. After that, it was game over. All he kept doing was going and finding another TENNIS BALL out of the bag over and over again until I'd removed 6 from him and given up.

I had to click on this, as I read it as another kind of "balls" :rofl: I thought it was going to be a discussion on why some blokes like to leave their male dogs entire to show off their balls :laugh:

I have one ball lover here, but I don't allow tennis balls. We have Fantastic Foam Balls. They are indestructible & we have had the same ones in our household now for over 4 years. For a soccer ball, I have one of those kick/fetch balls from K9 Pro. I forget what they are called.

For a soccer ball, I have one of those kick/fetch balls from K9 Pro. I forget what they are called.

They are called Chuckit Kick Fetch balls so you are right! :D

I have a super ball driven dog too, though she has enormous prey drive so will play with anything I give to her.

Prey drive is what creates the dog's desire to chase and play with things like tennis balls. In most cases when I see a dog that loves balls over any other prey item (like a tug or chew toy) it is because that is what the dog has been condition to get drive satisfaction from the most. Chew toys or rope toy are generally stationary items. The dog can't roll it around, they don't usually bounce, and generally we don't throw them because that is what most people will use balls for - so the dog learns the most fun comes from chasing a ball. This is particularly true with herding breeds because for them the most enjoyable part of prey drive tends to be the chase, so they love running after something.

It is really important to me that my dog doesn't have a favourite toy, or one toy she works better for over others. I want my dog to work with any tug or ball I pull out of my training bag, so I am careful not to let her develop a bias. I intentionally use tugs that look pretty boring (such as rolled leather or plain synthetic or french linen). These things only become fun when I am there to make them fun.

I had to click on this, as I read it as another kind of "balls" :rofl: I thought it was going to be a discussion on why some blokes like to leave their male dogs entire to show off their balls :laugh:

Um. Me too. It's why I clicked on it. And to think I parent children and model good character. *sighs at her inner 12 year old and shakes her head sadly*