Seperation Anxiety

dilosh

Hi all,

I have a 12 week King Charles Cavalier,

I have started to leave her alone in a space that I have allocated at home (there are toys, water, adequate lighting, window for her to look out)

However the moment I place her in this allocated space she starts crying non-stop!

I have left her for a maximum time of 20mins and she would not stop crying.

There are times which I will need to leave her alone for 2-3 hours but I do not know how I can leave her whilst she is crying.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated.

post-53294-0-77144300-1423105734_thumb.jpg

Edited by dilosh

:) welcome to puppy hood.

This is NOT separation Anxiety .

It is a normal reaction of a change in routine - My guess is puppy has spent heaps of time not confined, and with you ... things have changed, and she is most annoyed and unhappy .

puppies have a rule .

If I yell & scream for 20 minutes - then she comes & gets me - then , next time, I can yell for 25 minutes , cos I know she will come get me :)

Start off slowly . Feed puppy in the room .. let her go in & out .... do this a lot .

Play with puppy in this room .

have her VERY favourite toy for THIS room only :)

Make sure there is worn clothing of yours there, so she has your scent .

perhaps after feeding her in there for several days .. give the command, put her food down ..shut the door - for about 20 /30 seconds . then open it and carry on . make these times slightly longer maybe , each day?

Does she yell & scream when left out in teh backyard?

:) welcome to puppy hood.

This is NOT separation Anxiety .

It is a normal reaction of a change in routine - My guess is puppy has spent heaps of time not confined, and with you ... things have changed, and she is most annoyed and unhappy .

puppies have a rule .

If I yell & scream for 20 minutes - then she comes & gets me - then , next time, I can yell for 25 minutes , cos I know she will come get me :)

Start off slowly . Feed puppy in the room .. let her go in & out .... do this a lot .

Play with puppy in this room .

have her VERY favourite toy for THIS room only :)

Make sure there is worn clothing of yours there, so she has your scent .

perhaps after feeding her in there for several days .. give the command, put her food down ..shut the door - for about 20 /30 seconds . then open it and carry on . make these times slightly longer maybe , each day?

Does she yell & scream when left out in teh backyard?

I am very glad this isnt anxiety afterall!

you're right, i should play more in this room with her and go in and out constantly, so when she is left there its not so much of a big deal when im not there.

i am also thinking of buying those toys which you can put treats in so she can spend some time being distracted with that.

I havent left her out in the backyard alone, she is more of an indoor dog.

this is the first time i have ever had a pet, so she gets me each time she starts crying and giving me the cute puppy stare!

Edited by dilosh

She is training you very well.

although it should have happened when you first got her - it can still be done :) get her a nice big chicken wing - freeze it ..and leave her with it outside . definitely get a treatball and /or just use the smaller soft drink plastic bottles ! take off lids/ring around top - poke in tasty dry kibble and a few treats ... shake it , tip it slightly a few times to show her where the food comes out ..and leave her to it !

I strongly advise you do some reading - and if you click on these links, you'll find LOTS :) have fun.

CLICK

CLICK

CLIK

Edited by persephone

Absolutely, puppies are EXCELLENT people trainers.

Like Perse says, you don't want it to seem like a punishment to put her in the space you want to leave her, as in away from all the fun and things she's familiar with. Set it up as a lovely place to be. Definitely get her some food activity toys, Kongs are great, stuff them with her normal food, some wet food or cream cheese in the end and freeze, that will keep her entertained for a while. I also really the Kong Wobbler for feeding kibble although even the small might be a bit big for her at the moment.

Don't give in to that puppy crying! 20 mins isn't actually that long I'm afraid, and now that you've gone to her once she'll try even harder. Stay strong, it will be a distant memory pretty soon :)

BTW she is adorable!

Edited by Simply Grand

Everything Perse said is fantastic!

Also if you have a safe backyard area, even one that you could reduce with a play pen if you aren't comfortable with the whole yard, I would give her little times to herself out there too (again following the same small steps as perse has said).

Outside is so much more interesting than inside for puppies, new things to see and smell everyday, new textures, neighbours might of had a BBQ, birds to look at etc.

I would reconsider leaving her in the room & moving pen to a space that is enriching & around family life.Most breeders puppy pens are in the main areas of the house so they are very involved in daily life,sounds & noises without being shut away .

Our pups are in there puppy pen in the Kitchen/family room area .

We don't bribe with food because it won't happen as adults & we don't leave pups unattended with necks/wings or any bones .

They are left with a variety of toys which are changed daily BUT our pups also spend alot of time outside being pups .

What has been her routine since you have had her to now??

How much training to be independent have you given pup since coming home ?

20 mins is nothing although i have never had a pup cry when brought home & left & we start as we go from day 1

She is training you very well.

although it should have happened when you first got her - it can still be done :) get her a nice big chicken wing - freeze it ..and leave her with it outside . definitely get a treatball and /or just use the smaller soft drink plastic bottles ! take off lids/ring around top - poke in tasty dry kibble and a few treats ... shake it , tip it slightly a few times to show her where the food comes out ..and leave her to it !

I strongly advise you do some reading - and if you click on these links, you'll find LOTS :) have fun.

CLICK

CLICK

CLIK

Great advice Perse thumbsup1.gif and from experience i can say it works.

i still give our 6m labby girl a treat before i leave her in either her crate or expen - i use stuffed frozen kongs, wobblers, bob-a-lot, tug-a-jug, foobler, large frozen bones like lamb necks, dried pig noses and i throw small kibble on the ground. I have a large and varied arsenal of food dispensing toys and tricks to distract and act as a diversion laugh.gif

Every time, without fail, that i leave her alone (even when i'm going outside the back yard without her to play/train with my other dog) i give her something to keep her occupied. I have been doing this since the day she came home to us at 8 weeks and she's as solid as a rock with being left alone (and labbies are prone to separation anxiety)...even when we take our other dog out and leave her at home alone she's fine.

Initially we crated her in our room but at about 5 months old i knew it was time to extend her independence; so now she sleeps in the lounge room while our other dog sleeps with us. Yes, when we changed the routine, she would cry if she heard us up in our bedroom or if someone got up during the night or when OH left for work in the wee hours when he had to fly interstate but we ignored her and/or covered her crate. The crying stopped within a couple of days and she adjusted to the change really well. Your puppy will adjust too but don't become a slave to the crying.

Everyone has said what you need to know! But I will add, when I first got Kenz she screamed everytime she was put in her puppy pen or crate. The first night was at least 45 minutes of screaming before she fel asleep due to being exhausted! And she quickly got over it - because every time she was screaming she was ignored. She only got attention when she wasn't screaming and only got to come out when she wasn't screaming. Plus during the day she was left with treat balls etc to keep her busy. I now have a dog that WANTS to be left at home because it means that she will get stuff (she usually gets left with a kong or scattered dry food, plus some sort of exciting treat), she even takes herself outside even though I will be telling her it is her turn to come in the car with me!!!

Be persistent and stay strong!!! It's worth it in the end!

Some great advice :) I have a little Blenheim Cavalier the same age. She has a whinge when she can't be where she wants to be too :laugh:

Kongs are great and I've used them when I've had to leave a puppy alone. When Vienna was a pup I'd leave her with her kong full of her lunch when I went to work for a few hours. Why don't you pop over to the Cavalier thread and share some photos? I put some of Sadie up the other day.

You could also try leaving the radio on on a talkback/news show so she gets the comfort of people talking.

I give Lucca treats before I leave for work in the morning. He is then so busy with the treat that he doesn’t even come to the door to watch me leave *sniff. Its like he’s saying “Thanks for the treat mum, cya!”

Thankyou all so much for the great input .

So I've been working on all the tips everyone has given, I have purchased a kong toy and she loves it. Also I have bought a baby fence to put in my room so she doesn't feel as anxious as she generally gets. When leaving her alone, i have a TV in my room and turn it on for her, this calms her down a little bit as well. The initial crying hasn't stopped, but it's now decreased to occasional whimpering. I have ordered a play pen for her to be outside as well.

I'm a law student and have a exam this Friday, so I hope when she's left alone for 3 hours she will be okay :)

Really appreciate all the advice!

Thank you for updating :)

Remember , too ..to treat leaving/coming home as absolutely BORING and ordinary.

.NO 'I have to go, snookums, be a good baby *pat/hug/kiss*..oh,. snookums, poor snookums, *cuddle* '

same when you return .. just walk over to pen ..open gate/put pup outside to toilet ..no talking ... then after a few minutes..carry on as normal :)

This does help , really ! We have a puppy here - admittedly he is nowhere near bereft of company (canine) but he now barely opens both eyes when we leave or return ... it's no big deal - nothing special ...

Thank you for updating :)

Remember , too ..to treat leaving/coming home as absolutely BORING and ordinary.

.NO 'I have to go, snookums, be a good baby *pat/hug/kiss*..oh,. snookums, poor snookums, *cuddle* '

same when you return .. just walk over to pen ..open gate/put pup outside to toilet ..no talking ... then after a few minutes..carry on as normal :)

This does help , really ! We have a puppy here - admittedly he is nowhere near bereft of company (canine) but he now barely opens both eyes when we leave or return ... it's no big deal - nothing special ...

Yes, i too, think this is important. The rule in our house is, whenever you come or go - ignore the dogs. We even extend it so that even if someone is home with the dogs and another household member comes home, they can greet the humans but they ignore the dogs. Our dogs get lots of pats and cuddles but we don't link those times to when people come and go even if the dogs aren't being left alone.

Our labbies are very friendly and our oldest boy is even a bit over friendly so we don't amp up that excitement when we come and go.

That through the past week has helped a lot. As soon as we start feeding the pup with attention when we come back home it heightens her anticipation for attention. Ensuring every other family member does this is the hard part.

Just an update, my pup has been sleeping in my room with the baby gate locked for over an hour. I hope she is sleeping because she is tired, and not depressed or anxious

Is puppy not allowed free access to the backyard or is the yard not puppy proof,Play pen should be inside & outside is for mental stimulation & exploring & being a dog ,puppy can't be in the pen all the time as the crying may end up more for wanting more enrichment & you start teaching puppy to be very reliant on humans for things to be done instead of pup learning to do it on its own & be brave & independent ,Yes Cavies are people dogs but there also sporting spaniels that love using there brain

Is puppy not allowed free access to the backyard or is the yard not puppy proof,Play pen should be inside & outside is for mental stimulation & exploring & being a dog ,puppy can't be in the pen all the time as the crying may end up more for wanting more enrichment & you start teaching puppy to be very reliant on humans for things to be done instead of pup learning to do it on its own & be brave & independent ,Yes Cavies are people dogs but there also sporting spaniels that love using there brain

Pup doesn't have an outside pen yet as I am still awaiting for it's delivery. I can't leave her roaming the backyard by herself as the backyard isn't puppy proof.. Need to insert wooden planks under the fence so she doesn't escape. However I do take her to the yard with her leash and she loves running around, digging up holes, tasting a lot of different leaves and chasing after butterflies.

I'm planning on getting her an obstacle course which will stimulate her more