Squeaky Toys

RedFeather

This may seem like an odd question, but are squeaky toys necessary for puppies?

I have some anxiety problems, and something about squeakers really sets my teeth on edge. I'm fine with other noise making toys, like the crinkly ones or the plastic bottle type. Just...ugh. Squeaky toys!

Should I cave in and allow the squeakers? Do puppies need them? Or is it a case of happy owner = happy puppy. I would hate to be anxious and for that to rub off on the puppy!

I'm also wary of the ones that make duck-like sounds...because we plan to get ducks one day and I feel that would be a bad association if we want the ducks to live...

aww but they are so much fun!!

Nah you don't have to get squeaky toys - how about those 'farty' noise toys like Cuz toys?

I think if your dog does like that type of toy it would be a shame for them to miss out on the 'killing/pain noise' they get.

We have a dog here atm the just LOVES rope toys and plastic bottles, she ignores all the intact squeaky toys and sticks to those.

We have lots of squeaky toys here. My boy luvvves his squeaky toy's. The louder the better. His absolute fav is his hide-a-bee. He runs around with a bumble bee in his mouth, squeaking it's head off. It works for Sonny without fail. Gets everyone's attention. LOL :)

I go for the lower toned ones - the farts or the honks. The squeaky high pitched ones make me want to hurl a chair through my window, especially since Ernie has no concept of 'enough'.

Honestly, I don't think they need them. It's not like they'll grow up and be bitching to their shrink about how deprived they were in their childhood, anyway.

Kong makes on/off switch squeaky toys. So you can turn them off so it's just air coming out (dog still loves it), or when you leave the house or put it outside you can turn it back on for the dog to have the full squeak.

I go for the lower toned ones - the farts or the honks. The squeaky high pitched ones make me want to hurl a chair through my window, especially since Ernie has no concept of 'enough'.

Honestly, I don't think they need them. It's not like they'll grow up and be bitching to their shrink about how deprived they were in their childhood, anyway.

rofl1.gif

That painted a hilarious picture in my head.

"I'm pretty sure my stint in the pound was because of my owner. She never let me off leash because I was "unreliable", gosh, like I only refused to come back 10 times. Anyway, so when I was sent away to boarding school I just rebelled and ran away. The rangers picked me up for "indecent exposure", I was just taking a pee on a lamp post. That cow was a state away on holidays and it took her a whole 48 hrs to come pay my bail."

rofl1.gif

"I'm pretty sure my stint in the pound was because of my owner. She never let me off leash because I was "unreliable", gosh, like I only refused to come back 10 times. Anyway, so when I was sent away to boarding school I just rebelled and ran away. The rangers picked me up for "indecent exposure", I was just taking a pee on a lamp post. That cow was a state away on holidays and it took her a whole 48 hrs to come pay my bail."

Now I'm giggling. Somehow, it's a GSD behind the shrink desk, and a Bassett in the chair.

The mallard ducks are great the don't squeek they honk!

He's got two, along with a farting chicken and a trio of oinking pigs. He loves them, but only because the first high pitched squealing toy he got, lasted 20 minutes of non stop squeaking before I pitched off the deck and into the pool. He's prone to sitting mournfully gazing at it through the bars while I hope it decomposes.

Pay a visit to your local Op Shop - a lot of children's toys do not have squeakers (health and safety) and, at the op shop, are much cheaper than dog toys.

Choose the ones that do not have tiny plastic pellets for stuffing or "hard" eyes. You will be able to discard if necessary without breaking the budget and can afford to replace them every week

I can highly recommend the King Wild Knot toys if you really think your pup wants a squeaker - the squeaker, while annoying, disappears quite quickly and they are left with an unbelievably tough stuffed toy.

Ernie is in love with his Monkey:

AF07D87C-F0E0-4ECB-BE39-D7B3194D91D0.jpg

Edited by Stressmagnet

rofl1.gif

Now I'm giggling. Somehow, it's a GSD behind the shrink desk, and a Bassett in the chair.

The mallard ducks are great the don't squeek they honk!

He's got two, along with a farting chicken and a trio of oinking pigs. He loves them, but only because the first high pitched squealing toy he got, lasted 20 minutes of non stop squeaking before I pitched off the deck and into the pool. He's prone to sitting mournfully gazing at it through the bars while I hope it decomposes.

Oh my god you two. I just lost it.

I don't think squeakers are that important. Luna has a Cuz ball, I bought the biggest one she can pick up in her mouth, and it means she doesn't get enough purchase to squeak it incessantly. It does give a satisfying little squeak when it bounces and she can get a sneak or two when she grabs it. We both win!