Teaching Dog To Swim Smoothly

MY GSP loves the water and is very content to play in it, jump through waves etc. However when she can't touch the bottom she lifts her head up and just sort of splashes hugely with her front paws, as a result she doesn't move very far.

Does any one have any tips on how I can encourage her to swim "smoother" with her legs.

Would a dog life jacket give her more support and maybe relax more so that she paddles smoother, rather than just creating a lot of splash?

Would welcome your advise.

Yes my Dally swims like this - most ungraceful :laugh:

I put a life jacket on him and it made the world of difference. Keeps them buoyant and they learn to use their rear end to power through. I only use the jacket at the start of Summer now. He has pretty good rear end awareness but that didn't come naturally at all - definitely a taught thing. My Springer powers through the water like she's got an outboard motor attached. Definitely a natural!

My dog used to swim that way too - bottom down and feet up splashing a lot (which would panic her a bit and make her get out).

I work at a hydrotherapy clinic, so I got Elsie swimming properly in the pool there, using a life jacket and supporting her rear in the water. Lots of practice and she swims beautifully now, very little splashing and can swim forever!

Yes my Dally swims like this - most ungraceful :laugh:

I put a life jacket on him and it made the world of difference. Keeps them buoyant and they learn to use their rear end to power through. I only use the jacket at the start of Summer now. He has pretty good rear end awareness but that didn't come naturally at all - definitely a taught thing. My Springer powers through the water like she's got an outboard motor attached. Definitely a natural!

Good to hear that i am on the right track with my thinking. Your dally is a similar build to our girl, what brand life jacket worked well for you?

Thanks so much for your reply. Is there anything in particular I should look for when choosing a dog life jacket . in my quick look online they seem to vary hugely in price.

name='DiscoDobe' timestamp='1423280241' post='6644055']

My dog used to swim that way too - bottom down and feet up splashing a lot (which would panic her a bit and make her get out).

I work at a hydrotherapy clinic, so I got Elsie swimming properly in the pool there, using a life jacket and supporting her rear in the water. Lots of practice and she swims beautifully now, very little splashing and can swim forever!

My dog swims the same way, stupidly.

I also bought him a life jacket and it keeps him horizontal and now he'll swim forever if I let him.

I tried a cheap one first from BCF, and although it kept him horizontal, it impeded movement a bit and the last strap went over his boy bits.

I ended up with a ruff wear one and it's awesome. Fit is spot on with the measurements they provide.

Thanks so much for your reply. Is there anything in particular I should look for when choosing a dog life jacket . in my quick look online they seem to vary hugely in price.

name='DiscoDobe' timestamp='1423280241' post='6644055']

I have the Ruff Wear ones for my dogs. They are probably the most expensive but they are really good quality and fit well.