Searching For A Collie (Perth)

Thanks mita,

I've tried going through pet rescue for a couple of collies over the previous weeks but not had any luck. The trouble is I'm after a popular breed that's easy to rehome, which makes me feel a bit bad that I'm not willing to accept an older dog or different breed. I need an active dog as I live by the dog beach and run in the evenings. Collies are perfect for me and my lifestyle, and they're my dog of choice - is that selfish?

As much as I'd love to rehome a dog it's more likely I'll buy through a breeder.

Edited by Dave-o

Tinkerbell would be perfect for me. That was one of the dogs I tried to foster/adopt. I had a home inspection with DFL last Monday but have heard nothing back, then sent a follow up email a couple of days ago. They're all volunteers and I imagine they get busy.

there are plenty of Kelpie's and Kelpie crosses in WA, that sounds like a breed that might suit your circumstances.

Also Tinkerbell looks like a good fit if you're willing to foster her first

http://www.petrescue.com.au/listings/342792

Shame you aren't in NSW, so many BCs are dumped that the breed rescue can't keep up.

That's always sad to hear.

I heard in Finland you can't buy a dog from a breeder if there are dogs available in the pound/rescue. I don't know whether it's true or not (I read it on the internet), or how the mechanics would work, but it's a nice idea.

Edited by Dave-o

Sorry for going O/T, but my breed of interest, tibetan spaniels, is one of the most popular breeds in Scandinavian countries, like Finland. One of my dogs actually came from Sweden... & her father was a Finnish champion. I'm on an international list with a lot of Scandinavian breeders & pet owners, & there's never been any reference to a rule about adopting a pound dog before getting one from a breeder. Those countries, in fact, tend to have a low dumpage rate... so they tend to help out other countries that do, by bringing in dogs needing rehoming. I know that Sweden helps out with dogs from Ireland. Here's a site which explains how Finland does that, too, with some other countries.

http://petdynamics.org/2013/03/19/adopting-a-rescued-dog-in-finland/

He's just over 1 week old. I get to pick him up at Easter, so it's a long wait...

Follow BooksBorderCollie on Instagram. I'm going to be really lame and photo-journal him as he grows up :thumbsup: (Because I'm really excited)

Follow BooksBorderCollie on Instagram. I'm going to be really lame and photo-journal him as he grows up

That's not lame....it's what we like to see. :) Lucky boy to be going to a home where he's so much loved ...& he hasn't arrived yet!