Registered Breeder

Mystiqview

I was cruising around gumtree and came across this ad:

XXXXXX Pure Bred Puppies.

Registered/Pedigree (Independent Breeders Association)

Born XXXXXXX

Of course by claiming "Registered breeder" the price was $800 for a "Pure Bred"

The ad was not for my breed

here lies the heart of the 'registered breeder' problem.

ANKC registered breeders mostly seem to think the sun shines out of ANKC and no other light source is valid. Mutually exclusive and all that.

Puppies can be registered with all sorts of Associations and their breeder can say with conviction that they are in fact registered and pure bred in accordance with the rules of whatever association they are with...ie get you doodle puppy from a breeder registered with the doodle assoc, and you have yourself an authentic purebred papered registered doodle dog.

The advertisement is probably 'genuine' within the boundaries of the independant breeders association.

Just because ANKC breeders don't agree with it, doesn't mean it is not true or valid.

I was cruising around gumtree and came across this ad:

XXXXXX Pure Bred Puppies.

Born XXXXXXX

Of course by claiming "Registered breeder" the price was $800 for a "Pure Bred"

The ad was not for my breed

I don't see the issue, is it because it isn't ANKC?

Edited by Dame Aussie

I can't find anything in Australia for dogs called "Independent Breeders Association".

Were they more specific and you don't want to say which, or did they make that up?

Could it be these:

http://www.aapdb.com.au/

We spoke in this thread too:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/topic/259017-what-is-a-independent-breeders-assoc/

Well that's called

"Australian Association of Pet Dog Breeders Incorporated."

Not

"Independent Breeders Association"

And I can't find a copy of their code of ethics on their website.

Understood. But people put words in adverts and mean something different.

I've seen the ad in question, definitely refers to independent breeders association but hard to tell if it is naming an association or simply referring to an independent association for the breed. Mind you it is a breed that I have never heard of another association other than ANKC, working versions of this breed are still ANKC registered so not like your working dog registries or anything.

It is actually very cleverly worded full stop. Pups are 7 weeks old today and the overall feel is that the other 3 in the litter are already happy in their new homes, but doesn't actually say as much. Not sure what the age requirements are for that state when it comes to puppy sales (i don't even know what they are in NSW to be honest).

Try putting "independent (insert breed here) breeders association"................

Basically they have created their own independent registry and are thus registered breeders with that independent "insert breed" registry.

Edited by OSoSwift

Try putting "independant (insert breed here) breeders association"................

Basically they have created their own independant registry and are thus registered breeders with that independant "insert breed" registry.

Yep, that works :)

Personally I have no issue with it, as long as people are breeding healthy dogs with relevant health tests and not just in it for a quick buck then I don't really care where they register their pups, regardless of what breed they are.

I've seen the ad in question, definitely refers to independent breeders association but hard to tell if it is naming an association or simply referring to an independent association for the breed. Mind you it is a breed that I have never heard of another association other than ANKC, working versions of this breed are still ANKC registered so not like your working dog registries or anything.

It is actually very cleverly worded full stop. Pups are 7 weeks old today and the overall feel is that the other 3 in the litter are already happy in their new homes, but doesn't actually say as much. Not sure what the age requirements are for that state when it comes to puppy sales (i don't even know what they are in NSW to be honest).

You can report Gumtree ads selling puppies under 8 weeks as it's against their rules. Puppies also have to be microchipped and vaccinated to be advertised.

I have not been able to find any info on what health testing they do. Or if their foundation and stud dogs are pedigree papered dogs through the ankc.

It is not illegal to sell unregistered dogs of any breed or combination or even unknown breed.

Registered can mean registered in one of several places & many of the public don't understand it all. There is no attempt to deceive in the ad as far as I can see even though pedigree breeders disagree with the principles & ethics. We cannot control what everyone else does but we can educate the public, which is not done enough.

I think ANKC should advertise advantages & difference in pedigree dogs & explain it all with TV adverts.

Once I saw an ad on Gumtree from an ANKC registered breeder advertising show quality pedigree toy poodle puppies. Some were phantom/parti so there is no way the pups could be show quality as only solid colours are allowed to be shown.

I think that is more dishonest than the ad being discussed here.

Breed is Jack Russell. Ad is in QLD. A google search found independent JRT Breeders association I think in America. (Was a dot com site)

Two things are also at play on that site.

1/ Only "registered" breeders can advertise puppies over $500. So BYB wanting more than this for their pup will claim "Registered" breeder to achieve this. They may not be registered with anyone as there are no checks done by the site.

I think looking through some ads. This $500 cap on "unregistered" breeders is the reason many claim to be registered. You also see that some ads will have $500 at the top of the ad while in the body the $500 was only to get you to open the ad. One puppy may be $500 but the rest of the puppies are above this figure. Saw some ads where the remaining pups were $700 plus.

2/ different registers. There are a number of registers that are not ANKC. Various working dog registers who keep just as an accurate register than any ANKC register. No issue with them. ANKC breeders are not all pure an untouched. Where money can be made, some people will take short cuts and do dodgy things. That is human nature and until they are found out, they will confine to do what they do now.

While the majority will do the right thing, there will be those who don't.

What is needed over there is clarification. To claim "registered breeder" they should identify WHICH registry they belong too. I personally do not care if they also include their number. At least stating the registry (providing) it actually exists, then the person interested in the pups can check or look up that registry.

Try putting "independant (insert breed here) breeders association"................

Basically they have created their own independant registry and are thus registered breeders with that independant "insert breed" registry.

Yep, that works :)

Personally I have no issue with it, as long as people are breeding healthy dogs with relevant health tests and not just in it for a quick buck then I don't really care where they register their pups, regardless of what breed they are.

Totally agree

Breed is Jack Russell. Ad is in QLD. A google search found independent JRT Breeders association I think in America. (Was a dot com site)

Two things are also at play on that site.

1/ Only "registered" breeders can advertise puppies over $500. So BYB wanting more than this for their pup will claim "Registered" breeder to achieve this. They may not be registered with anyone as there are no checks done by the site.

I think looking through some ads. This $500 cap on "unregistered" breeders is the reason many claim to be registered. You also see that some ads will have $500 at the top of the ad while in the body the $500 was only to get you to open the ad. One puppy may be $500 but the rest of the puppies are above this figure. Saw some ads where the remaining pups were $700 plus.

2/ different registers. There are a number of registers that are not ANKC. Various working dog registers who keep just as an accurate register than any ANKC register. No issue with them. ANKC breeders are not all pure an untouched. Where money can be made, some people will take short cuts and do dodgy things. That is human nature and until they are found out, they will confine to do what they do now.

While the majority will do the right thing, there will be those who don't.

What is needed over there is clarification. To claim "registered breeder" they should identify WHICH registry they belong too. I personally do not care if they also include their number. At least stating the registry (providing) it actually exists, then the person interested in the pups can check or look up that registry.

Thats O.K. I agree they should identify which registry they belong to as long as all ANKC registered breeders are also have to do the same. But most still say "registered breeder" and yell when other people say registered breeder without identifying which registry they register with and its not an ANKC one.

In NSW Dogs NSW have regulations to ensure when a registered breeder has an advertisement it includes their member number .

The ANKC has never had a monoply on registration services and registered breeders.

However, these people have identified which registry they belong to which I believe is an independent registry to register Jack Russell Terriers.

www.Independentjackrussellterriers.com